Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Car or bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kingrico
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Car or bike? Reply with quote

In terms of making a decision this is one of the hardest, and i still cant decide!! I've had my ER-5 for a year now, stuck 10,000 miles on it but now its slowly dying. I'm about a month away from taking my car test and I have been thinking about nothing else but buying a car. And then this morning I see 3 or 4 bikes wizz past my house; the sight, sound and theatre just makes me want a bike all over again!
I'm covering an average of 10,000 miles (but with this new job probably closer to 15k), so the practical benefits of a car (weather protection, warm, radio etc) seem fairly obvious and therefore the choice should be easy. But the bike is cheaper, more fun and doesn't have to sit in traffic jams. Im sure such a debate has existed LONG before I decided to discuss it but hey ho. Any suggestions guys and gals?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt an ER5 should be "slowly dying" without some major major milage!

Why not get a shitter of a car for a few hundred quid and keep the ER5 too?

Bike as the primary transport but there is a car (after a fashion Laughing ) there for when extreme circumstances need the extra capacity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: Car or bike? Reply with quote

If you get a car you may well decide you prefer that.
I have the kit to listen to the radio and not get cold on a bike, along with really not liking getting stuck in traffic means for the majority of journeys I take the bike.

However, for going distance in non-busy times, I tend to take the car.

If possible, I'd go for cheap car and bike if you can afford the insurance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kingrico
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its seen better days put it that way, just under 50k miles.

Fair point. My partner does have a car which I would use when the weather becomes artic-esque. I would love a brand new bike but one that munches motorway miles (80-90 mph no problem, decent weather protection) but is also light and nimble enough to be a capable commuter tool through 9 o clock traffic.

Got my eye on a couple of Bee Ems, namely the F800GS. Does anyone know the sort of mileage one could expect from such a bike? I want something that is gonna reach atleast 70,000. Fuel costs,insurance, tax etc. Oh and while im on the subject of tax, my bloody ER-5 cost nearly 50 quid a year to tax and I've seen brand new cars (one in particular was a BMW 320D) that cost less to tax! Am I missing a trick or something?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the TDM900 if you are tall, Thumbs Up Perfect commuter for me fairly light bungles of torque and not overly expensive. I travel into london 5 days a week on it.


Realitively few problems apart from coils, mine went at 28k miles I think. I have a new set which and have bagged up and waterproofed and they shouldn't got wrong now. A TDM should last to 70,000 without much going wrong, coils will go unless you bag/tape them up.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingrico wrote:
new cars (one in particular was a BMW 320D) that cost less to tax! Am I missing a trick or something?

The 320D will not only cost a lot more in depreciation, but will have acceleration that would be embarrassed by a decent 125, while the F800 will probably beat the M3 at legal speeds.

Getting a cheap but well looked after bike (say 10 year old with 10k 'dry' miles), doing 30k miles on it, then selling and repeating will, I reckon, come out one of the cheapest solution that shouldn't require massive amounts of work.

It seems weird that you're looking at both brand new vehicles and worried about the cost of bike tax - you're going to lose masses more than that from buying new, so surely it shouldn't be a big factor?

Personally I'd prefer to spend less on an older but 'better' bike that will lose less money and need less spending on expensive official servicing, accepting some of my savings will be spent of fuel for the 'better' old bike.

I would consider if you really want the GS model. It should make a pretty good long range mild dirt touring bike, but you will have some compromises for that - for instance that it uses proper enduro tyre sizes, etc.


Last edited by G on 14:50 - 27 Jan 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is a 130k mile 325i which cost me the princely sum of ?800. I can park it anywhere without worrying too much about theft or vandalism, I don't mind that it does 26mpg, it is comfortable and practical. The insurance is reasonable for a car, and it is fun and quick enough.

Tax is on the steep side, but not bank breaking at ?180.

I'd say, buy a cheap car and see if you like it. It is perfectly possible to have a cheap car and a nice (but not brand new) bike.

Although, I think by asking on a Bike forum you want us to tell you to get a bike.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: Car or bike? Reply with quote

G wrote:
If you get a car you may well decide you prefer that.


+1
Thats what happened to me over the last 3 months.
When you weigh up the pros and cons of each neither relly stands out as being better than the other, they both have positive and negative points over the other, so the only real option is to have both.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ClaireBear
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the car has got a load of practical benefits, nearly too many to list if you think about them without sitting here for ages!
I ride for fun, but for practical journeys it has to be the car for me Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swiftb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it came down to it and I had to choose one or the other I would have to choose a car for all the practicality and benefits.
However Id be a very sad puppy without my bike Crying or Very sad
Both is the ONLY answer to this one Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, in the ideal world you really want both.
To be honest if you haven't access to a car when you need one (like parents, wife, friend) sooner or later it will be a real problem although if public transport is good you can get by I suppose.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClaireBear88 wrote:
I think the car has got a load of practical benefits, nearly too many to list if you think about them without sitting here for ages!
I ride for fun, but for practical journeys it has to be the car for me Razz

It depends on your priorities and how lazy you are in learning, researching and buying/fitting extra bits.

I'd say a lot of the 'negatives' for bikes are easily overcome by the above, leaving you a lot of benefits, however many won't for whatever reason.
However, one of my priorities tends to be getting to where I'm going as quickly as reasonably possible, for which the bike definitely wins.

Given the choice, maybe 90-95% of journeys are done on a bike by choice, however there's enough journeys where I'll choose the car too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ClaireBear
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
ClaireBear88 wrote:
I think the car has got a load of practical benefits, nearly too many to list if you think about them without sitting here for ages!
I ride for fun, but for practical journeys it has to be the car for me Razz

It depends on your priorities and how lazy you are in learning, researching and buying/fitting extra bits.

I'd say a lot of the 'negatives' for bikes are easily overcome by the above, leaving you a lot of benefits, however many won't for whatever reason.
However, one of my priorities tends to be getting to where I'm going as quickly as reasonably possible, for which the bike definitely wins.

Given the choice, maybe 90-95% of journeys are done on a bike by choice, however there's enough journeys where I'll choose the car too.


I agree but my practical journeys would include buying the weeks worth of shopping, horse feed, shavings for their bed etc so really arent suitable for a bike Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 25, I've never had a car and don't want one. Whilst perfectly calm anywhere on the bike, I get extremely agitated sat in traffic in somebody elses car - never mind being in control and trying to get somewhere in the ever expanding gridlock that is Britain's urban road network.

I'd love a Lotus/TVR/Caterham/Atom or similar (who wouldn't?), but that's clearly not what you're talking about here. You're talking about a modern, bland, mass produced box on wheels with a wheezy engine, high premiums, with an intention to use it as a commuting vehicle. And you're thinking of buying one new?!

With only a motorcycle you will have to endure freezing weather, relentless wind and torrents of rain, and you have the inconvenience of gear to lug around everywhere and a distinct lack of carrying capacity. But even those often unpleasantries and inpracticalities are infinitely preferable to the mundane, drab, relentless and depressing experience that is commuting by car.

Buy one if you really need one, otherwise stick with the bike. Besides, it's nearly Spring Thumbs Up
____________________
Current: Ducati Panigale R / Ducati Streetfighter S / Suzuki GSX-R1000 L5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can manage a hell of a lot of shopping on my KTM, then take the panniers off if I need to get between nastier traffic for my next journey.
Also like it because I can park right by the doors of the supermarket and not have the hassle of squeezing into a space at the other side of the car park.
Horse stuff might be a bit more of an issue, but I'd be tempted to get that delivered anyway Razz.

Alex: I'd consider my GSXR a fairly bland mass produced lump on wheels, though the engine isn't so wheezy - but it does what I need for commuting.

Now that I've got a decent selection of kit, have more problem with cold in the car than on the bike (waiting for it to heat up), if I want to not lug kit around, I'll take an appropriate bike/luggage/kit and not do so Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said above, get both if you can and don't buy new. I was thinking about a NEW bike but have now decided against it as I'd rather have a bike that's been bedded in at a fraction of the cost.

I use my bike for commuting to work as it's quicker and more convenient. Currently has around 18.5k on it

I use my car ( X reg Vectra DTI ) for ferrying the wife and kids around, monthly shopping etc etc. Currently has around 263k on it and only cost ?400 Thumbs Up
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ER5 is so much cheaper to run than a car. I used to have one and I could get 75mpg out of it sticking to the limits on the motorways. Servicing is cheap as are parts.

But cars have loads of advantages, like the recent weather, it would have been suicidal to attempt to go out on a bike for about a month where I live (Penines lots of hills, we still have over a foot of snow on the sides on my bike route)

Saying that driving a car is really boring, there is no enjoyment, biking for me is leaning and cornering at speed.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 27 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
Even doing the sandwich run on a bike would be a fuck about.

I often end up doing a Subway run because it's a load easier on the bike - can stick it right by the subway. My normal laptop tank bag holds plenty and it's much quicker to put a jacket and helmet on than to walk across the work car park.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:53 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

your asking this question on a bike forum...
what do you reckon the answer from us is going to be???
the fact that you have asked, has pretty much said with out saying it, that a bike is the way forward and thats what you want,
so stop pussy footing about, and either fix your hack up, and or buy another bike,

thats it. end of.


i mean it!!

end of
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.9 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 111.56 Kb