Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Short term insurance.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Short term insurance. Reply with quote

So, I've finally convinced my older brother to start riding, so he immediately went online and bought a 125 in Norwich Confused

It's not that far away but he hasn't even done his CBT yet (is very soon) so he wants me to head up by train and ride it back for him. So I was thinking the easiest way is to simply get insurance for a day, or for a week, what ever the shortest possible amount is. It was also recommended to me that I could switch over my current insurance to this bike and then switch it back again once my brother has his CBT?

So I was looking for suggestions of companies it would be good to get a quote from, or any other suggestions that might make this easier logistically. I'm going up there to get it on Saturday. Many thanks Karma Thumbs Up
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dayinsure.com/flexirider/

Never used them but the only company that I know that does insurance by the day...

Or you could take out a full policy, and then cancel it within 14days... I think it was talked about in a thread recently
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ds55 wrote:
https://www.dayinsure.com/flexirider/


They require that I've had a full motorbike licence for three years before they'll even bother to look at me. Otherwise it would have been a pretty cheap solution. I really do have a shoe string to do this on.

I suppose I could ask someone on here to take out the day's insurance and ride it for me using the above service.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy insurance, cancel within 14days, pay for all that you used.

take policy price, say ?365

buy policy, go on train, collect bike, ride home, cancel policy

pay ?1 as you only used 1 day.

something like that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thewildblue
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make your brother hire a van ?
Make him take a a policy on the bike, then check on your current insurance if your insured to ride another bike 3rd party (as long as it has current insurance on it).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ring your insurance company any see if they will add it as a 2nd bike.

However I suspect the admin fee will be the largest part of the bill.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Ring your insurance company and see if they will add it as a 2nd bike.


Have just done so and they won't let me do it because I'm not the registered keeper of the bike. They also won't let me do third party only on other vehicles because I don't have a motorbike more than 350cc Confused

A bit odd but never mind. If I can't get insurance on a bike on a CBT unless I'm the registered keeper then renting a van might be the way forward. Unless I ride it back with no insurance Sad

I could try to get my brother to insure himself now and name me as a second rider?
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with t121anf's suggestion. Did similar on a GSXR and as there was a lag in them processing the start of the policy a day's insurance cost me 1p!

(I was actually going to keep the insurance/bike, but didn't buy it in the end.)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:01 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I'd go with t121anf's suggestion. Did similar on a GSXR and as there was a lag in them processing the start of the policy a day's insurance cost me 1p!

(I was actually going to keep the insurance/bike, but didn't buy it in the end.)


I'm thinking I might have to, but I'm not sure I have the money right now to pay anything towards having insurance for a whole year (although they might just take a months worth to begin with?) before getting it back. I'll make some calls and try and find out some actual prices Thumbs Up
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he paid for the bike and is needing you to pick it up? If at all avoidable, then don't to Norwich to pick up some 125 that your brother bought online get him to buy a bike that's in your area cos it's not like there's a shortage of 125s.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sebastianw
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could try this

eBike Insurance Pay As You Go Monthly Policy allows you to purchase cover as and when you need it - on a monthly basis for a monthly premium. You can purchase cover one month at a time and then switch it off when it's not required.

www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful of places that offer monthly payments ? generally this is in the form of a loan, though saying that you should have your 14 days to cancel that, but not sure how that works and suspect it?s more complicated
You could try doing it through ebike insurance, but wouldn?t be surprised if they make it more difficult for you.

Ste makes a good point too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Has he paid for the bike and is needing you to pick it up? If at all avoidable, then don't to Norwich to pick up some 125 that your brother bought online get him to buy a bike that's in your area cos it's not like there's a shortage of 125s.


There were no shortage of CG's (and similar) in London but yes he has already paid for it and once he saw it he has his heart set on it. It's some larger looking cruiser type thing.

Edit: That pay as you go monthly insurance looks a whole lot more tempting. Will give me an excuse to ride around his bike for a couple weeks before he gets his CBT too.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what cruiser thing it is, also is it's second hand rather than new??

Unless it's a very good deal (which I doubt it is) he'd be better getting his money refunded (under Distance Selling Regulations, buyers have a fourteen day cooling off period).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebike monthly isn?t always great ? for instance they wanted ?95 per month for aforementioned GSXR that was ?105 for a whole year when getting a quote through the bike insurer (remember to use fake details so they don?t spam you etc.)


Anyway, from your description, there?s an easier solution to the problem. Buy a return ticket. Collect bike. Set fire to bike.
?Sorry bro, some homophobes knoced me off the bike and chased me, lucky to get away; had to get the train back too, can you reimburse me please?? (might be best to hide the fact you got a return ticket at this point.)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ebike want ?30 ~ from me, which isn't so bad, especially if I get to use the bike for a couple of weeks.

Upon talking to my brother it appears he's gone and bought a Chinese bike Rolling Eyes it has about 1k miles on it and still "looks new" and apparently is fairly "good looking" Crying or Very sad

G, my feelings are that I want to embrace your suggestion whole heartedly but sadly I enjoy being friends with my brother. I also know that nothing I will say is going to manage to dissuade him. It's probably for the best though. ?500 is reasonable for a learner to get started on something which, knowing him, is bound to be smashed to buggery by the time he's learnt to ride properly. And who can complain at keeping crap bikes off of the road in the long run?

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help Thumbs Up
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend wanted to ride my blade recently and didn't have any cover from his car insurance to ride bikes third party.

We looked at the dayrider but it came to ?28 or so for one day with a big excess even on third party claims.

Looked on ebike instead and TPO was just ?34 on their monthly PAYG policy. There was no third party excess and he could ride the bike multiple times for a month.

On that basis, a bit of a no brainer to go with ebike. You could of course buy and cancel a policy, but be careful of admin fees associated with it.
____________________
Current: Ducati Panigale R / Ducati Streetfighter S / Suzuki GSX-R1000 L5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_A wrote:
You could of course buy and cancel a policy, but be careful of admin fees associated with it.

They aren't allowed to charge admin fees within the first 14 days.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Alex_A wrote:
You could of course buy and cancel a policy, but be careful of admin fees associated with it.

They aren't allowed to charge admin fees within the first 14 days.


Does that include transaction fees?
____________________
Current: Ducati Panigale R / Ducati Streetfighter S / Suzuki GSX-R1000 L5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_A wrote:
Does that include transaction fees?


Of course not. The fee of transferring money is not the same as the fee charged because doing stuff takes time or resources.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexio, your statement is unclear.

What I was asking was whether transaction fees (such as Credit Charge surcharges) are refundable if you take out a policy and cancel it within 14 days?
____________________
Current: Ducati Panigale R / Ducati Streetfighter S / Suzuki GSX-R1000 L5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexio wrote:
it appears he's gone and bought a Chinese bike Rolling Eyes it has about 1k miles on it and still "looks new" and apparently is fairly "good looking" Crying or Very sad

He could buy breakdown recovery a few days before going to pick the bike up, get the train there and then call the breakdown people to take him home. He can just say that he's lost the keys and the breakdown people won't be able to fix that at the roadside so will take him and the bike home.

Plus it will mean that he's then got breakdown cover which could well be very useful if it's a ?500 nearly new chinese bike.

It might look nearly new and all that but it'll be a POS. If he wants to buy a cheap bike that will be a headache then that's his choice, but you shouldn't make it easier for him by collecting it for him. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 28 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, and my opinion is that transaction fees are not refundable within the 14 day period because I don't think they are seen as admin fees. Sorry, reading back that post I realise I am rather unclear.

Anyway, I don't have a credit card and any transaction fees I can ever remember paying were pretty negligible.

Ste wrote:
It might look nearly new and all that but it'll be a POS. If he wants to buy a cheap bike that will be a headache then that's his choice, but you shouldn't make it easier for him by collecting it for him. Wink


Tell me about it Confused Still, this is one person who is going to have to learn the hard way - and I say that with all of the love in the world towards someone who I have never, ever known to learn the easy way of things for the entire duration of my life on this earth.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 29 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_A wrote:
A friend wanted to ride my blade recently and didn't have any cover from his car insurance to ride bikes third party.

We looked at the dayrider but it came to ?28 or so for one day with a big excess even on third party claims.
Looked on ebike instead and TPO was just ?34 on their monthly PAYG policy. There was no third party excess and he could ride the bike multiple times for a month.

On that basis, a bit of a no brainer to go with ebike. You could of course buy and cancel a policy, but be careful of admin fees associated with it.


Confused Have never in my life seen a policy with an excess on 3rd party claims......wonder how they would collect this Wink
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 29 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin fees are usually ?20 a pop...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.81 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.42 Kb