Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


ZZR600E Ticking sound.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 07 Feb 2010    Post subject: ZZR600E Ticking sound. Reply with quote

Hi.

I am looking for help to see if anyone has any idea on a ticking sound that my ZZR seems to be making. It only started making this sound yesterday and I don't really know what it is. It could be a valve but I'm not really sure.

The noise happens when the bike is idling in neutral and the more the revs the faster the ticking. I have been riding the bike every day for the past year so I am 100% sure that this is a new noise. What I find is that when riding along the road I can hear the tapping noise when I open the throttle, and it increases in speed with revs. As soon as I shut the throttle though it stops regardless of whether the engine is doing 2k or 10k revs pm with the throttle off.

The sound doesn't sound metallic, if that makes any sense. By that I mean it doesn't sound like the tapping you hear from the valves in a cylinder head.

This might sound rediculous but it sounds or feels like something is impeding the air that is going into the engine. I know that both my air filter and airbox were cleaned just over a month ago (nothing to do with the noise I'm hearing).

I think the best thing would be to stop riding the bike and investigate, but seeing as it's my only transport it's easier said than done. Performance doesn't seem to be affected, although I seem to remember having a feeling like the engine wasn't getting enough fuel at one point when I was on a motorway slip road. I know I was in a high gear but it kinda felt like I was coasting in neutral even though I had the throttle open. (I had plenty of fuel)

Bear in mind I know this bike very well so it's not some newbie confusion. Something isn't right.

Thanks for your opinion on what this could be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 07 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im guessing cam chain??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 1.41 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 31.95 Kb