Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Are motorcycles irrelevant to the future?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

and
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Are motorcycles irrelevant to the future? Reply with quote

...

Last edited by and on 14:01 - 24 Mar 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite incredible. Every time I suspect MCN have plumbed the depths they manage to bring new meaning to the term non-story.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped reading MCN quite some time ago, mainly because of all the sensationalist, reactive storylines coming from blinkered, uninformed plonkers like that Twisted Evil

you got my support ulthar Thumbs Up Wink
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda funny, when I used to ride a bicycle everywhere before I went for the type with an engine, any opinions/feelings relating to motorcyclists never entered into the frame for me at all. It was car drivers who were the ones to look out for. All the cyclists I know who are pretty militant about it too never really bring up the topic of motorcyclists either. Neutral
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate pushbikes. I know thats just generalising a group where there are good and bad but I can't help it.

They seem to fall into 2 groups round here:
1. The idiot, who rides around with no thought to anything. Wrong side of the road, at night and no lights is a norm on our estate.
2. The serious rider, the ones in lycra, with sports gear who ride in groups of 20 or more all across the road and hold up everyone with huge tailbacks.

I really think there shouls be a license system with some form of compulsory test before bikes are used on the road.

I've had some bastard scrape up the side of my Alfa in a queue and when I tried to confront him he just laughed and rode off. If I'd got hold of him I'd have shoved that push bike so far up.....
You get the picture!

But thats never going to happen
Crying or Very sad
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

https://mirror.servut.us/kuvat/meinung/reaction_guys_bicycle_crash.jpg
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric motorcycles are feasible. Electric cars aren't really.

Read the story, its basically a way of getting their forum invaded by people like us (or less er... polite shall we say?)
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:


Brilliant Thumbs Up
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another MCN "daily mail" style anger inducer.

By the way, suggesting bicycles don't have a future is pretty mental given future fuel price rises, increasing congestion and even the potential for some kind of energy crisis one day.

I hate cyclists generally but bicycles are undeniably the most efficient form of transport we have and for that they have to be admired Neutral

I rarely ever cycle but if I had a short commute it would be the obvious choice.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

and
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

...

Last edited by and on 14:01 - 24 Mar 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulthar wrote:
My point was that in the future, especially science fiction, bicycles are non-existant.

...errr...I hate to be the one to point this out but science fiction is not reality, hence the name.

Bicycles still require oil and they are not very practical for long distances or transporting goods. To suggest bicycles are superior in any way is extremely arrogant and ignorant.

To suggest they are superior in ANY way is arrogant and ignorant? Are you serious? So they AREN'T more efficient than a motorbike?

And as for oil consumption, I reckon a bicycle consumes maybe half a litre of oil a year at most, a motorbike consumes that much in a few miles


What exactly are bicycles doing for the world? Nothing. Its motorised transport which is pushing technology.

This sentence makes me think you may actually be joking about this whole thing? Bicycle move more people around on a daily basis than cars in many countries. If the population of China all used cars instead of bikes we would probably be royally fucked.

____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bicycles do require fuel though.

If you are cycling 20miles a day, you need a eat many more calories. Food is more expensive then petrol.

Still I wish i still had my bicycle, handy for short distance stuff, or visiting friends or drunk riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulthar wrote:
My point was that in the future, especially science fiction, bicycles are non-existant.

Bicycles still require oil and they are not very practical for long distances or transporting goods. To suggest bicycles are superior in any way is extremely arrogant and ignorant.

What exactly are bicycles doing for the world? Nothing. Its motorised transport which is pushing technology.


To go on a tour a push bike (assuming you have the physical fitness) is a good way to go! Basically the world over pushbikes are common and tools to fix them are common too.

Yes they cost oil energy to build, then again so does everything else these days. If you were referring to lubricating oil then I'm sure almost any oil, even some veg oils would probably suffice in the low loadings a bicycle has to put up with.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

and
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

...

Last edited by and on 14:01 - 24 Mar 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:08 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the pedanticisim, I'm not sure food is more expensive.
You can get a bag of potatoes or pasta with a hell of a lot of calories in for not that much at all. Also generally considerably better 'environmental impact' as they need less processing and take in Co2 from the air, some of which is dumped into the ground at some point.
Further, cyclists are more likely to be 'healthy', and I believe those really serious about it also can die quite young from heart failure despite being in otherwise good shape, further saving money!

Of course, this would solve a lot of the problems:
https://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/bttf/images/5/56/Mrfusion.png

Personally I think electric push bikes can make a lot of sense for a lot of urban journeys and can see this market sector increasing if society will allow it - a weight between a motorbike and push bike, but the size and flexibility of a push bike (easily stick it in the hall of your cramped London flat). Easily recharged for pennies and speeds that will keep up with the speed limits in urban areas.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:31 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulthar wrote:

Semgballs - I was having a dig at the particularly self-righteousness that some cyclists believe that all road transport is bad and should be banished and the roads are for bicycles only because they are enviromentally friendly. The key of this topic lies in the cycling forum linked in the MCN article.



Oh dear, I'm being referred to as smegballs Embarassed Embarassed

I certainly disagree with the fact that roads are for cycles only......

Modern cars are rivalling the motorcycle for efficiency now as much as it pains me to say..... They can cheat by having more than one person in the car!

A car with 4 people in doing 50mpg is effectively doing 200 miles per gallon per person. Whereas bikes doing 50 mpg (assuming 1-up) would using four times as much fuel to transport those 4 people a set journey.

I assume this thinking is how big heavy public transport is considered efficient. It doesn't matter if the coach is doing 8 mpg, with 40 passengers its doing 320 miles per gallon per person. Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:31 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
ulthar wrote:

Semgballs - I was having a dig at the particularly self-righteousness that some cyclists believe that all road transport is bad and should be banished and the roads are for bicycles only because they are enviromentally friendly. The key of this topic lies in the cycling forum linked in the MCN article.



Oh dear, I'm being referred to as smegballs Embarassed Embarassed

I certainly disagree with the fact that roads are for cycles only......

Modern cars are rivalling the motorcycle for efficiency now as much as it pains me to say..... They can cheat by having more than one person in the car!

A car with 4 people in doing 50mpg is effectively doing 200 miles per gallon per person. Whereas bikes doing 50 mpg (assuming 1-up) would using four times as much fuel to transport those 4 people a set journey.

I assume this thinking is how big heavy public transport is considered efficient. It doesn't matter if the coach is doing 8 mpg, with 40 passengers its doing 320 miles per gallon per person. Shocked



If you are assuming the car at capacity then you need to assume the bike at capacity too. The car will not do 50mpg with 4 people in.

But i get the point.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:54 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find some of the comments re cyclists a tad hypocritical to say the least.

I've recently pulled out the pushie and started riding to and from work. It's only a 15km round trip but I figure it gets me off my arse and can only be a good thing.

I've noted a few things since I got back to it.
Cars and motorcycles see me less then they do when Im on the moto and show me even less respect. In 1 week I was very close to being knocked off 3 times. Riding the motor bike came in handy here as I luckily preempted each of them.

I'ver often heard on these forums that the common thought is that all cagers should be made to get their motorbike license so they are more aware of us and sympathetic to the challenges of riding.
So I suggest getting your butt on a pushbike and take a bit of a journey to see what it's like for yourself.

I understand regardless of the type of transport there are dickheads controlling each of them and they are the ones we notice most.

All that said and on the topic at hand once I started riding to work, 3 more of my colleagues have pulled out their pushies and are making a go of it.

I'd say they're on the comeback. If anything halts that it's either lazyness or the dangers experienced at the hands of other road users.

I used to ride the pushie everywhere when I had no choice and I'd forgotten the fun that I used to have doing it.
I've also come to appreciate the motorbike and riding that much more when I get the chance.
I ride it now because I choose to, not because I have to.
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulthar wrote:
Tommy doesn't understand a tongue in cheek topic. The clue was in the fact that I mentioned futuristic films. How the hell am I supposed to know what the future is like?...

...If you want to be pedantic about efficiency, I reckon a motorcycle would be more efficient. As c-m mentioned, food is more expensive. Imagine the amount of energy a human requires to go the same distance as a motorcycle. And the time it takes. You would also have to factor in the oil used in manufacturing. Then things get out of hand and you need facts and figures, charts and lines and lots and lots of key pecking.


So are you being tongue in cheek again now about the efficency thing? It's hard to tell with the written word Laughing

I have to assume you are because suggesting a motorcycle is more efficient than a bicycle is crazy Shocked And as for maunfacture; think how much more oil goes into the manufacture of a motorcycle than a bicycle, especially into the tyres (and the fact that many motorcycles eat tyres at a furious rate).
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bicycles actually eat tyres pretty quickly too, though a lot less rubber, but not so sure about production costs per mile etc. Similarly with chains and other consumables. Of course, not many people do 50 miles a day every day on their bikes or regularly do a few hundred at a weekend.

Plenty of people can get 10k miles or so out of fairly thin tyres. If you kept acceleration and top speed to push bike speeds I suspect motorbike tyre would last a long time Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Sunshine wrote:

Plenty of people can get 10k miles or so out of fairly thin tyres. If you kept acceleration and top speed to push bike speeds I suspect motorbike tyre would last a long time Smile.


Well this is true and if you designed an internal combustion engine for these speeds you could probably get efficiency higher than that achieved with a bicycle although of course you are always lugging the weight of the vehicle around with you as well (probably at least 20x that of a bicycle).

In terms of tyre life though, you must be able to make 20 or 30 bicycle tyres with the same amount of material as a single motorbike tyre and probably get similar milage as a sportsbike tyre. I worked as a bicycle courier in Edinburgh as a summer job for a while and was doing maybe 30 miles a day for 2 months of the year when I was working plus a mile or two a day when I was studying for the rest of the year. At these mileages the tyre would usually be perishing before it was worn out and I was probably replacing every 3 or 4 years.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In terms of tyre life though, you must be able to make 20 or 30 bicycle tyres with the same amount of material as a single motorbike tyre and probably get similar milage as a sportsbike tyre.

A sports bike tyre tends to be made of a considerably softer compound I'm pretty sure, and is obviously looking for maximum grip at extreme accelerations.
Generally for road bike tyres you want to minimise rolling resistance, which means a harder compound.

Before electric bikes become popular I always liked the idea of putting a decent minimoto engine on a push bike.
Not the ones that end up weighing as much as a CR85, but getting a proper non-geared minimoto engine weighing not much more than 13kg all in and adding it to a reasonable stock full suspension bile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking today, I use an electric buggy (think working class golf buggy on steroids) at work but I think a donkey or horse would be the most 'eco' option. I could collect the shit and double it up as compost, too. My tool shed is an old stable, perfect.

I think using animals is obviously very natural. Maybe people wouldn't travel as far by horse and cart... but then we'd have to live and work where we live... and maybe even have communities?
____________________
BCF's 6th favourite poster 2009-2010

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 11 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace out brother, right on Laughing
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Glory Hunter
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 11 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Sunshine wrote:
Bicycles actually eat tyres pretty quickly too, though a lot less rubber, but not so sure about production costs per mile etc. Similarly with chains and other consumables. Of course, not many people do 50 miles a day every day on their bikes or regularly do a few hundred at a weekend.

Plenty of people can get 10k miles or so out of fairly thin tyres. If you kept acceleration and top speed to push bike speeds I suspect motorbike tyre would last a long time Smile.


I don't really understand the Motorbike vs Pushbike debate. Most people I know who ride motorbikes ride both.

As for tyres, I did 8,000 miles on my old pushbike and it's still on the original front tyre (been through about four rears). A well looked after pushbike will literally last forever (barring a few consumables), most cars and motorbikes are knackered after 10 years.

In terms of fuel consumption, when I cycled an 18 mile round trip to work every day I did not need to do any other exercise, I now ride my XT to work and go to the gym for an hour too so I'm sure my food intake is identical but I'm also getting through 15l+ of petrol a month.

Really, what we all need to realise is that we are two groups of vulnerable road users, if we're gonna have an enemy, make it inconsiderate car drivers, not (largely innocent) people who choose a (slightly) differing mode of transport.
____________________
2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners Sad
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve.... Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.49 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.67 Kb