Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Advanced Riding Courses?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Advanced Riding Courses? Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing an advanced riding course to improve my all round riding - cornering, safety, filtering etc

I live in the North East and was planning on booking up with a RoSPA accredited instructor from Newcastle Rider Training, they offer 1:1 training for 1 day or 2 days at a substantial cost (I would think it will be well worth it though).

I then saw that there is a RoSPA approved local club that I could join - North East RoADAR - pay a small membership fee and you can get tution from RoSPA accredited riders for free but only maybe an hour or two at a time due to the demand.

So, has anyone else experienced either of these avenues etc etc? Any advice appreciated?
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kate t
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 30 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I came off last summer (nowt spectacular) My bike Instructor (who I have kept in contact with) offered me the chance to ride out with him while he was taking a client on a 'back to biking' day. You learn about taking corners, filtering safely etc. and basically just refresh your memory. I was going to tag along for the ride and to build up my confidence. Unfortunately, I didn't go as my chain decided to make a horrible noise and needed replacing. I know this is not the sort of thing you are taking about, but I'd say...do it! It can only help to improve your riding (I'm not saying it needs improving) you've got nothing to loose only new skills to gain Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 11 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kate Thumbs Up

My riding does need improving and will always need improving as far as I'm concerned as I'm learning something new every day - The nature of the beast I suppose Very Happy

I was just wondering whether to go the full 1day, 2 day etc course route or join a local club and get tution in small stages really - is it better to build your skills slowly by joining a club or overload/condense into a short period by doing a course?

Thanks Thumbs Up
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daesimps
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:48 - 11 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the IAM test last year and think it was a good idea. Not only did I learn quite a bit, but it's an excuse to get out every weekend. Telling SWMBO that I'm off out to learn to be safer makes it harder for her to find DIY to be done.

I personally think that it's better to do it over more than 2 days. You may find that in 2 days your brain hurts as there's not enough time to master something before you move on to the next topic. If you do it slowly (maybe 1 lesson a week) you can practice just the one new thing for a week in between. That way you've made a solid foundation before moving on, rather than spending 20 mins on some of the fundamental stuff before moving on without quite mastering it.

Definitely expect your riding to get worse before it gets better. When trying to focus on a new topic you'll inevitably cock something else up. Eventually it will become natural and just click, then you'll notice a big improvement.

Also, remember that once you've passed the test (if that's what interests you) you don't have to do everything that was taught. Part of what I consider to be 'advanced' riding is taking the relevant bits and adapting them to suit your style. It's also about knowing why you do something, as opposed to doing it because somebody said that is the correct way. I've found that since I did the IAM test there are some things I don't do as I don't agree with them, but that's my choice and I had all the information I needed to make that choice.

When you've done the training try and avoid a common mistake that occurs post training. Some people think "I've done some advanced training, I'm much better now" and get over confident and make mistakes. Be aware that no matter how much training you do there is always more to learn.

If you do decide to do a short course, I can recommend a guy called Kevin at https://www.survivalskills.co.uk/. He's based down south but goes "on tour" each year and does courses around the country. I spent 2 days with him in the Peak District and thoroughly enjoyed it. You get videos and feedback at the end, with a write-up to take away so you don't forget what was discussed.

This is just my personal opinion and I'm sure others will vary. Apologies for such a long post.

Good luck with whatever you decide.


Dae.
____________________
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kate t
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 30 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 11 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

nasty wrote:


My riding does need improving and will always need improving as far as I'm concerned as I'm learning something new every day - The nature of the beast I suppose Very Happy



What a refreshing attitude Cool
If it were me, I'd opt for joining a club for the very same reasons. Plus, you get to meet other people and hopefully have a bit of a laugh while you learn - think this option would have more benefits than doing the short course (maybe cheaper too?) also, you can keep doing it for as long as you like Smile Thumbs Up
My Instructor's think it would be good idea for me (with their help) to start a club (for girls) who have just passed their test. Something I'd like to do, when I have more confidence myself Laughing

Let me know how you get on Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.93 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 46.88 Kb