Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


nomination for 'Dozy Twat Of The Year 2010' award

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: nomination for 'Dozy Twat Of The Year 2010' award Reply with quote

i had a little opps. riding my bike to work it suddenly cut out near wolston. no starter, no main beam lights, just side lights and tail lights. bugger, thinks i, the alternator's gone again. so i push the 200kg bike a mile and a half to wolston, got a lift of a nice passer by to cov then walked from the bp station on the a45 to the kennelworth crossroads before my boss picked me up. got to work and hour and a half late. picked the bike up a week later as a mate kindly offered to come over in his van. then spent a couple of weeks looking at it before spending ages today checking the electrics trying to work out why the starter doesn't work when i thumb the switch (those who know bikes can see where this is going). digged into every component with a voltmeter, checked the alternator that was still working and eventually looked for the switch that inhibits the starter if the clutch is in. only then did i think about the kill switch. flicked it back to 'on' and lo and behold the bike fired up. just test rode it with no probs but some squeal from the alternator belt. only one word springs to mind: bugger!
____________________
previous: '02 honda nsr, '89 kawasaki zxr 750 h1
current: '09 zzr 1400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You picked the right user name.

Razz
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:59 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!

I didnt let my bike warm up properly the other day, I pulled the choke in and it cut out while I was heading downhill towards some traffic lights. I pulled the choke out, hit the start, more choke, hit start and I could hear someone beeping at me. The bike started to I looked round ready to give whichever bastard it was a piece of my mind.... And realised that when I pulled the choke I covered the horn on my own bike up and honked at myself. I felt like a right wally.

Does that make you feel any better?
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles me old china, that's not only put a smile on my face i'll be chuckling all night. like it.
____________________
previous: '02 honda nsr, '89 kawasaki zxr 750 h1
current: '09 zzr 1400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Redoko
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now you've gone and told a national forum. Wink
____________________
"Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing."
Sudika Sportsman SK50QT > Gilera DNA50 > Honda CBR125 RW7 > Kawasaki Zephyr750 > Suzuki GSXR600 > Honda Hornet CB600F '51
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditJeff
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us have knocked the cut out switch by mistake. Once, years ago, i even called recovery out when i'd done it.
You really feel like an utter twat when the breakdown guy spots it instantly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

keyser soze
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

the good thing is next time you'll know where and what to look for first
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to turn my fuel tap on during my test! Cue a loss of power a few yards up the road and me fumbling around the tank whilst negotiating a junction with the examiner right behind me. Passed the test with 2 minors (which were not related to that). Mr. Green
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality Thumbs Up

On my training I pressed the horn instead of the indicator and my instructor and the other learner turned round to see what it was, I was so embarrassed I turned around as well pretending it was someone else behind me Laughing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
Quality Thumbs Up

On my training I pressed the horn instead of the indicator and my instructor and the other learner turned round to see what it was, I was so embarrassed I turned around as well pretending it was someone else behind me Laughing


Excellent! Laughing
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
waffles me old china, that's not only put a smile on my face i'll be chuckling all night. like it.


No problem Thumbs Up

Its nice to hear that we aren't the only spanners on this forum though!
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the same thing at a set of lights after filtering my way up to the front and I must of caught the switch as the lights changed, que all the cars beeping at me whilst I sat there trying to start it.

I pushed it to the side of the road and was checking it over for about 15 minutes, had the tank off checking the spark plug. I was going to ring my breakdown but I though, I'm only 2 miles from my house, I could get there by pushing it quicker. I pushed the fucker 2 miles home and had my mate come out to look at it the next day and he looked at it and just pressed the kill switch and started it first time.

Happens to the best of us Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say I've never understood this, as soon as I push the starter button and nothing happens I just automatically check the kill switch straight after.

Maybe I'll be the next to do it, who knows Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a big club ghost. pride and fall you know Laughing
____________________
previous: '02 honda nsr, '89 kawasaki zxr 750 h1
current: '09 zzr 1400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally fold my mirrors in to get through an especially tight squeeze while filtering. On one such occasion I reached the front of the queue just as the lights went green leading onto an empty bit of dual carriageway. As I sped away I straightened the left mirror, clutched for a gear change then reached across with my left hand to unfold the right mirror....

…eek! Complete loss of power!

Coasted to a stop thinking I’d seized the engine (The fact that it obviously hadn’t seized as the engine had continued to turn over did NOT occur to me at the time). Luckily I realised I’d just flicked the kill switch after a few minutes of pondering my next move.
____________________
2007 CBF1000 & 2016 CBF1000F - Commuter heaven | 1994 CBR600FR - Awaiting defibrillation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

teabag
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same with my NS afer filling up with petrol. Tried kicking it over, bump starting down the hill from the petrol station. Gave up and pushed the damn thing home only to notice as I was putting it in the garage that the kill switch was pressed.

Thing is, though, why do bikes have kill switches (other than for tunnel backfires, of course)?
____________________
NS125R = 2 years > GSX600F = 7 years > XR125L = 3.5 years > SV650S........and a Citroen Synergie HDI for the kids.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading about fuel taps got me thinking, anyone actually turn theirs off. Not when riding Smile but in general?

I don't, can't see the reason unless i'm removing the tank.

Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did manage to chuck the S4 up the road about 2 minutes 30 into my first ride of the season because forgot to scrub the tyres in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BtBowGyGQg
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immensely Large Bits wrote:
Reading about fuel taps got me thinking, anyone actually turn theirs off. Not when riding Smile but in general?

I don't, can't see the reason unless i'm removing the tank.

Pat


Having had an XS chop go up at the side of the road, yes. If I'm on a bike with a manual tap then it gets turned off when I park up. Having said that, it's been a hell of a long time since I saw a manual (ie non-vacuum) tap on a bike.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugartits wrote:
I did manage to chuck the S4 up the road about 2 minutes 30 into my first ride of the season because forgot to scrub the tyres in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BtBowGyGQg


Oh shit Shocked

I never knew what scrubbing in tyres was all about, now I do. Any damage? Hope not because last time I saw it it was sweet!
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:53 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
Sugartits wrote:
I did manage to chuck the S4 up the road about 2 minutes 30 into my first ride of the season because forgot to scrub the tyres in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BtBowGyGQg


Oh shit Shocked

I never knew what scrubbing in tyres was all about, now I do. Any damage? Hope not because last time I saw it it was sweet!


I got extremely lucky, done an engine casing and the crash bung, total cost to get it mint again £47+vat + whatever a single R&G bung costs also need new oil.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugartits wrote:


I got extremely lucky, done an engine casing and the crash bung, total cost to get it mint again £47+vat + whatever a single R&G bung costs also need new oil.


That's not too bad I guess, at least all the nice shiny paint is still shiny Thumbs Up
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Curtmeister
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugartits wrote:
I did manage to chuck the S4 up the road about 2 minutes 30 into my first ride of the season because forgot to scrub the tyres in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BtBowGyGQg

Thats shit luck that fella Sad hope your ok like. What do you do if you have new tyres?
____________________
Bikes: 54 Reg Gilera DNA50 > V Reg Kawasaki BN125 Eliminator > P Reg Suzuki Bandit N600 > 57 Reg Suzuki Bandit 650
Cages: 58 Reg Vauxhall Corsa 1.25 CDTI
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:08 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curtmeister wrote:
What do you do if you have new tyres?


Take it easy.

Thumbs Up
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ditto
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob ZX4R wrote:
Curtmeister wrote:
What do you do if you have new tyres?


Take it easy.

Thumbs Up


Lol this Thumbs Up

No complex answers here.
____________________
CG 125 > Bandit 600 > CBR 600 FY > Street Triple R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.29 Kb