Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Halfords Professional 150 piece Socket Set: Now £99.99

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 12 Mar 2010    Post subject: Halfords Professional 150 piece Socket Set: Now £99.99 Reply with quote

It's that time again when it is reduced to half price.

Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:15 - 12 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Halfords Professional 150 piece Socket Set: Now £99.99 Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
It's that time again when it is reduced to half price.

Clicky


I have this set, its been faultless and well worth the cash Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 12 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Halfords Professional 150 piece Socket Set: Now £99.99 Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
ms51ves3 wrote:
It's that time again when it is reduced to half price.

Clicky


I have this set, its been faultless and well worth the cash Thumbs Up


Agreed had for a few years now, been great on the bike & car.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 12 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto above, I've got that one, highly recommended.

The only slight niggle I can even mention is that the sockets use different size drives depending on the size of the socket. So for the small sockets you have to use a small ratchet, which I find irritating.

All my sockets used to be 1/2" drive. So you've just be swapping bits.

But it's fantastic quality.

Once you've got some screwdrivers and pliers, you literally need no other tools.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 12 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd get the kamasa 150pc kit for £80 instead. better and cheaper.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 13 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
i'd get the kamasa 150pc kit for £80 instead. better and cheaper.


Linky pls matt.
____________________
07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 13 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

its on ebay. Just type kamasa 150 or something. Its a big green box.
I got mine 4 years ago from trago mills but found it for near enough that price last night.
The ratchets are much smoother, and they're strong as fuck.

Ive only managed to break 2 of them. The 1/2 ratchet broke being used as a hammer, and the 3/8 broke with a 1/2 adapter and 2 feet of tube on the end. It didnt snap though, it just slips sometimes now.

Also imo the finish and durability is better than the snap on toolchests i use at work
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Will87
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:02 - 13 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good, but atleast with the halfords stuff if you break it you can take it back and have it replaced with the lifetime garuntee and all.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 13 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
The 1/2 ratchet broke being used as a hammer, and the 3/8 broke with a 1/2 adapter and 2 feet of tube on the end. It didnt snap though, it just slips sometimes now.
Laughing Just how they should be tested. Thumbs Up
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

geordie_e
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 13 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will87 wrote:
Thats good, but atleast with the halfords stuff if you break it you can take it back and have it replaced with the lifetime garuntee and all.


Not with the rachets..... they told me the moving parts are not covered

Cheers
Geordie
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 13 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that annoys me with this sort of thing are the imperial tools.

I think it would probably be better value to buy a 1/2" and another 3/8" drive socket set that are only metric.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cptn. Awesome
Crazy Courier



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 14 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kamasa set on eBay is £90 plus £5 delivery so it's six and two threes really. But what I will say is that my dad has some Kamasa sockets in a metal box and he's had them ages, long enough for the metal box to virtually disintegrate. AFAIK all the sockets are in very good nick too.
____________________
Rides - '60 Plate Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.25, '03 Plate Kawasaki ZX6R B1H and an '87 VFR400 NC24

Naughty Fawbish: "An eagle is but an eagle until the suns flare blinds his prey." - Fawbish, 2010.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 14 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay, I'm not dissing anyone, I just find it funny that you would need 150...to do what with? Do you all work on many different types of engines...? Or is it a case of 'just having it in your shed?'

I guess it's a blokes thing, having such a large set of tools, when for a bike you maybe only actually need about seven different sockets...? Laughing
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 14 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
It's okay, I'm not dissing anyone, I just find it funny that you would need 150...to do what with? Do you all work on many different types of engines...? Or is it a case of 'just having it in your shed?'

Large Confused - I'd be annoyed being limited to such a small set for work actually sitting in the garage. Sure it covers most areas basically, but not with the flexibility I'd like.

You could buy just the sockets you need for the basic work you need - but you can then guarantee that do something more complex and you're come across an odd size torx head or similar - never mind working on other bikes etc.
I'd say every single spanner in my 6-32mm set has been used more than once.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:12 - 14 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
It's okay, I'm not dissing anyone, I just find it funny that you would need 150...to do what with? Do you all work on many different types of engines...? Or is it a case of 'just having it in your shed?'

I guess it's a blokes thing, having such a large set of tools, when for a bike you maybe only actually need about seven different sockets...? Laughing


Looking at that 150pc set I find it quite limited, I regularly use all my spanners and sockets from 3mm-36mm in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive.

I guess it's because I want to do every job on my various bikes myself and I also work on other peoples bikes quite regularly so I need such a wide range of tools. Also, having the right tools for the job makes it soooo much easier, less likely to fuck something up (either your knuckles or rounding off something) and is less stressful than having to "make do".
____________________
R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 14 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with above!

And it's so much easier to think, "Oh, this stupid bolt's 11mm, I'll go and get one from the set".

Than "Balls, I need to go to Halfords because I don't have an 11mm spanner".

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stiffler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 14 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I intially forked out for this set I winced at the thought of spending £99 on tools alone. But after a couple of years use it's been an outstanding investment. It's made any bike maintainance I carry out a great deal easier and removed the stress of trying to find where I'd left tools.

There are plenty of other options out there but if your considering the Halfords set don't hesitate!
____________________
Current Bikes - Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) | BMW G650GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 14 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
Ditto above, I've got that one, highly recommended.


But it's fantastic quality.

Once you've got some screwdrivers and pliers, you literally need no other tools.

Gaz


Just to add to this really, I've owned one of these sets for about 5 months now,
I did most of the work on my CD using these tools and they're just the job.
The only thing that I feel lets it down is the lack of drive adapters, a 22mm would have been handy also but I think it's a good starting point..
Makes for a really solid base to build on, highly recommended Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

paddlesat16
Crazy Courier



Joined: 07 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:00 - 15 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in Redditch or nearby most of the local carboots carry Halfrauds tools as they have a big warehouse in the area Wink
____________________
I once saw a bloke shagging a donkey.... in Saudi arabia. Theory Test Passed 26/10/09 Mod 1 Passed 26/4/10, Mod 2 Passed 7/6/10 Current Bikes Suzuki GSX1400 K5, Aprillia Pegaso 650, Suzuki DR350T.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 15 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:

I guess it's a blokes thing,


Tut Tut
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 109.88 Kb