Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Visor Polish

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:32 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Visor Polish Reply with quote

My visor has had a bit of a battering from road salt over the winter and constant use. It's now covered in quite a few minor scratches.

During the day it's not a problem but at night in the rain it can be a bit annoying. Seeing as none are particularly bad they should polish out. But what to use?

I've done a quick Google and couldn't find much useful. Worth a try I suppose, if it works I'll get a bit more use out of my (fairly new) visor. Otherwise I'll just have to fork out for another
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:36 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware you could polish out scratches on visors.
I'd probably save my quids for a replacement, and keep the old one for a backup.

Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:04 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen or heard of anything that works for that.

If you find something let us know. I've got several hundreds of pounds worth of scratched to fuck visors.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:22 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad used something on mine that got the worst of it out, It was something from his plastic modeling kit. I'll find out what.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:44 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic modellers use toothpaste to polish out scratches from clear stuff.. Would only work on very slight scratches though.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this sort of stuff before:

https://www.marinescene.co.uk/product/5353/starbrite-plastic-polish-restorer

I think Concours d'Elegance restorers use it to polish up lamp clusters etc.

Not sure how safe it would be on a visor though. I wouldn't like a stone to smash through my very clear, but brittle visor due to some chemical weakening.
____________________
2007 CBF1000 & 2016 CBF1000F - Commuter heaven | 1994 CBR600FR - Awaiting defibrillation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:15 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Plastic modellers use toothpaste to polish out scratches from clear stuff.. Would only work on very slight scratches though.


I assure you it wasn't toothpaste Laughing
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's worth a punt. I'm at work till tomorrow, so I'll take some before and after pictures.

First I will try toothpaste as I can pinch it out of the cupboards, and it's cheap.

If it doesn't work, I'll just be back at square one and need a replacement. If it works, then I'll save some money (and so will you guys) for a few years to come.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think paint polish should work quite well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aka Matt
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a plastic polish? Something along the lines of Meguiars Plastic Polish should do the job pretty well but there are cheaper ones out there which would do just as good a job i'm sure.
____________________
Current bike(s): 2016 Tuono 1100 Factory, 1998 Hornet 600
Previous: 1998 YZF600R Thundercat, 2001 Bandit 600, 2002 GSX-R 600 K2, 2011 Tuono R, 2013 Z1000SX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sebastianw
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

T cut works well for me
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think about using T-Cut (as It's available), but thought it may be too abrasive.

I also found this: https://www.crystal-glo.com/usa/bike/products/7075/

Not an abrasive, but could 'fill' any lasting marks post polishing.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:52 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
Well, it's worth a punt. I'm at work till tomorrow, so I'll take some before and after pictures.

First I will try toothpaste as I can pinch it out of the cupboards, and it's cheap.

If it doesn't work, I'll just be back at square one and need a replacement. If it works, then I'll save some money (and so will you guys) for a few years to come.


Problem is, as Serendipity says, you won't be able to tell by looking if you've weakened it. I'd cough for a new one TBH.
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you use will take the proctective anti scratch coating off the polycarbonate......
Which will then scratch if you so much as touch it.

I spent a long time in optics working plastic lenses and can tell you even the proper polish will not work to any great effect.

Compared to how visors used to be now they are great. Years ago if you got them to last more than a month in winter you were doing well.....

You need to keep your visor clean by washing it in nice soapy water and rinsing under the tap. Then apply some polish (supermarket own brand cheepie) or Mr Sheen seem to be the best. That helps stop the build up on it.
And stop running your gloves over it unless its raining hard.
Mine is now into its 2nd year. Thumbs Up
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 19 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Xerapol on visors before, but go easy the stuff can make it worse if you use too much.

£9.99 from Hein Gericke
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

seantobin43
Nova Slayer



Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:31 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use something like JML it really works .
____________________
SEAN TOBIN Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.41 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 90.83 Kb