 HP Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 15 Oct 2009 Karma :    
|
|
 teampots Spanner Monkey

Joined: 01 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:14 - 19 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
The one shown in the pictures is the Carb'd Model, although I would be wary of the mileage if it doesn't have any previous mot receipts etc also have fun cleaning it  ____________________ Current - Fazer 600
Prev - Bandit x2 (Killed) CB400 (Superfour) CBR125
Currently Restoring - Kawasaki S1 250 Triple (Slowly but surely) |
|
 mrr1 Traffic Copper

Joined: 24 May 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:31 - 20 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
hi - whilst I don't particularly like the colour scheme of that bike its clearly been looked after by someone who knows what they're doing. I have the mark 1 from 2000 - slightly different tank but apart from that pretty much the same. Yes you can get them restricted - the most popular method being the washer in the inlet manifold type - mines got the carb restriction kit - replacement needle & spring + funny plate thing to go under the diaphragm. I posted the clip below to show what 33bhp is like on a Fazer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtisEbxkafI&feature=related
It won't keep up with anything above 250cc to 60mph and I'm sure that RS125's would beat it to sixty but then that's not the point for me. If push comes to shove the restriction kit is very quick (less than 10 mins from lifting the front of the tank up) to take out and its then pushing out 90bhp or more. NOTE - this assumes that you've got stock needles & springs
The only thing I don't personally like about Fazers is the black wheels (which is why mine are sprayed grey), the dodgy striped colour schemes (which is why I bought a single colour bike) and the 1977 Star Wars front (oh bugger) but these are only cosmetic issues anyway. The front lights are also shite unless you do the both-lights-on-at-once mod (like mine) or they've been swapped like the ones in the ad you've seen.
The fazer was always a mongrel bike - something Yamaha put together from their parts bins when they needed to get something quick to market to stop the Bandit taking too much of the 600cc hooligan market share back in the late nineties. Thats why the engine is from the Thundercat, the brakes from the R1 (bloody brilliant they are), etc, etc. Really it was probably more of a "make do" design at the time but most people believe it is a better bike than the sum of its parts. ____________________ TRX850, TDM900, ST1300, CB650SC Nighthawk, ragtop Saab, gym membership, messy divorce, large chested blonde fiance
Damn, I'm loving my midlife crisis. |
|
 HP Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 15 Oct 2009 Karma :    
|
|