Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Flip up helmets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

maria383
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 02 Apr 2010    Post subject: Flip up helmets Reply with quote

Whilst recovering from my crash iv been looking through the new hein gericke catalogue. although i want almost everything i realise that i really should buy a new lid. im very tempted by a flip up one but im a bit concerned about how safe they are. surely if you bash the chin it would bust open and leave your face exposed to the road? any recommendations? thanks!
____________________
Happiness is realising you have another gear left
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 02 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried about it get a full face one then or those really expensive ones that have a steel loop at the base this preventing face to road interface.

But the advice I think last time I heard it was that go after ones with metal hooks to hold the flip front in place, NOT the plastic ones or pop tabs, those smegging Roof Helmets have pop tabs to hold the chin bar in place like that is going to do much good.

I prefer full face ones namy because of the weight.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 02 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smashed my head and face along the ground wearing a caberg justissimo.

My thoughts while rolling around was to prepare to get knocked out. I just kept waiting and waiting and once I stopped I was face down but fully concious with no damage to my head or face.

Result! Very Happy Thumbs Up

The catches are metal so they're pretty good.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johanek
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 10 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 02 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHARP testing includes a test of flip front helmets and how often the locks worked/failed under their testing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 02 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Caberg Justissimo and it has metal hooks and the bit they clip onto says magnesium which is supposed to be strong. I trust it on my my 125 but if I was to get something with a little more power and be doing motorway + speeds then I would go for a full face.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 02 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: Flip up helmets Reply with quote

maria383 wrote:
Whilst recovering from my crash iv been looking through the new hein gericke catalogue. although i want almost everything i realise that i really should buy a new lid. im very tempted by a flip up one but im a bit concerned about how safe they are. surely if you bash the chin it would bust open and leave your face exposed to the road? any recommendations? thanks!



My cheap Lidl flip face slipped off the seat of the bike and the resulting damage can be seen at the start of my video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYoJ8U62ln4

Laughing
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 02 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy a flip-helmet try one on. I had never experienced claustrophobia in my life before trying one of those on my head (and never since) and it's not something I'd care to repeat.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 02 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wear glasses they make life much easier.

I have the Schuberth C2 and am happy with it.

It has metal fasteners and locking indicators so you know the flip front is securely locked in place. It also has a built in sun visor.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:58 - 02 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've crashed in my Justissimo and it's been fine.
There are still some questions about them, but if you make sure you go for one that is tested/sold as a full face rather than just an open face you should be fine. Some like the Roof are just sold as open face.

I've got a bit of a dodgy back so found the heavy weight on a sports bike caused me some upper back pain. On a more upright bike I could do five hours continuously no problem.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:08 - 03 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoei Multitec is a great lid, crashes well and lasts years.
____________________
[Current Bikes - GSXR-750 K5 & C90-97 ] [Previous Bikes: Runner 125, YBR 125, GS500, Bandit 600, Hornet 600, ZX6R-99, C90-99, R1-99, XT600E-04, GSXR-750 K4, CRF250L '16]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:56 - 03 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDonUK wrote:
Shoei Multitec is a great lid, crashes well and lasts years.

Also it weighs 150g less than the Caberg - though you don't get the crappy integrated sun visor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:06 - 03 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
TheDonUK wrote:
Shoei Multitec is a great lid, crashes well and lasts years.

Also it weighs 150g less than the Caberg - though you don't get the crappy integrated sun visor.


You do get a free tinted visor and chin/wind deflector aswell as the pinlock visor system all included.

Only flip front that felt comfy on me, but still prefer a full face lid Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GT250 x7------- Fazer 600------CB250RS------Aprilia Rally 70----- Bandit 600

APT Motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 03 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest problem in use with a flip front helmet is not crash protection but noise.

Lets face it you'll wear the helmet more often than you'll crash in it.
I guess with any helmet the advice is to wear earplugs. It's just with some helmets they're more of a necessity than with others (long journeys I'd wear earplugs anyhow, popping to the shops 50/50 decesion).

As far a quality goes Schuberth at the top of the tree followed by BMW (they're rebranded Schuberths). However, trying one is recommended, apparently I don't have a Schuberth C2 shaped head.

Next in the pecking order is you standard big brand names like Shoei. I use the Nolan and found it more than adequate. IMO Caberg etc. are ok but you get what you pay for and I've heard too many reports of them being too noisy to consider.

HTH Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 03 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say the Caberg is any more noisy that standard Shoeis really, however they tend to be noisy too.
Unfortunately they fit my head, so it's what I use.
I mostly use plugs for longer journeys but never bother for shorter.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meshuggah
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 03 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Caberg. What I didn't like was the weight and the noise in it. It was an amazing difference when I swap it for a full face Shoei one.
Way much lighter and quiet.
The flip on are good if you are a Currier I guess cause u need to interact with people a lot otherwise I would prefer a full face one.
Very Happy
____________________
Triumph Tiger 800 2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 03 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Shoei is the best fitting lid i have tried.

I have had Arioh Matthise flip up lid, which was okay but generally cheap, it crashed okay but the build quality was not great.

I then got an expensive Nolan N102 or something, Very heavy, bulky, noisey and was useless after one crash. Plus the flip mechanism was rubbish used to get jammed... not very confidence inspiring..
____________________
[Current Bikes - GSXR-750 K5 & C90-97 ] [Previous Bikes: Runner 125, YBR 125, GS500, Bandit 600, Hornet 600, ZX6R-99, C90-99, R1-99, XT600E-04, GSXR-750 K4, CRF250L '16]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

maria383
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 03 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone Smile Going to hein gericke when brewer gets here. lets see if they have a lid that's suitable and small enough...
____________________
Happiness is realising you have another gear left
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 03 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Biggest problem in use with a flip front helmet is not crash protection but noise.


Depends on the helmets.

My flip up is quieter than my full face.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

maria383
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:51 - 04 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried on all the flip up helmets they had but none of them fit. Problem is, neither did any other helmet they had! In the end, I ordered the last Arai Astro Light in the UK from N.I in XXXS and I'm going to get it custom fit.

Oh yea... did I mention that it's worth £370 and im paying £170..... Rolling Eyes
____________________
Happiness is realising you have another gear left
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 04 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A former friend died in a face plant into a tree, wearing a flip up lid.

They are designed for convenience not strength.

I occasionally wear an open face helmet, but just for popping to the shops etc. A flip up helmet should be treated like an open face helmet.

Its quite possible to have a motorbike accident, and be fine eve without a helmet, but I prefer decent protection, as sometimes proper protection could save your life, or at least your skin.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 04 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

KasWear wrote:
Why is he no longer your friend just because he's dead ?



Are you serious?

You can't be friends with someone who has died. You could have been before but if you say to someone, yeh he's my mate but he's dead, that's weird.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ditto
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 04 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Before you buy a flip-helmet try one on. I had never experienced claustrophobia in my life before trying one of those on my head (and never since) and it's not something I'd care to repeat.


Can I ask why? Surely a flip up helmet wouldn't result in claustrophobia as it can be opened. I find full face helmets more claustrophobic.

I use a Caberg Trip and it was fine for my 125, but now its not really suitable for my bigger bike at higher speeds. Its really noisy too. Any long journey and I have to wear earplugs. Although you should wear them with any helmet anyway.

Currently looking for a full face helmet at the moment.
____________________
CG 125 > Bandit 600 > CBR 600 FY > Street Triple R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 04 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto wrote:


Can I ask why? Surely a flip up helmet wouldn't result in claustrophobia as it can be opened. I find full face helmets more claustrophobic.

I use a Caberg Trip and it was fine for my 125, but now its not really suitable for my bigger bike at higher speeds. Its really noisy too. Any long journey and I have to wear earplugs. Although you should wear them with any helmet anyway.

Currently looking for a full face helmet at the moment.


Some flip front helmets have smaller internal dimensions, I forget the brands but several I tried on the chin bar was literally touching my chin no matter how I giggled it. on my old nitro you could barely touch the chin bar with your tongue extended. On my Shark RSR2 you can if you extend your tongue.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 127.68 Kb