Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New bike choice: ER6f or XJ6... Neither!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 06 Apr 2010    Post subject: New bike choice: ER6f or XJ6... Neither! Reply with quote

Having trouble deciding. Either will be restricted to 33bhp... no comments about the restriction unless directly applicable to one bike or the other, please.

Both would have the same use - mainly all year commuting in town and on twisty A road (baring snow/ice), with a few extra trips thrown in but not a major/regular thing.

ER6f is £5500, Divvi is £5200; both available on 0%; both comfy for me; both have local dealers for servicing/warranty etc

ER6 appeals to me more; but may not take winter so well?

If you lot can't help, I may have to ring Harry!
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/defblade/HarryHill_fight.jpg
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp


Last edited by defblade on 13:43 - 10 Apr 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 06 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second hard Versys maybe?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 06 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just changed from a D6 to a Versys (big bro of ER6). I will add my 2p's worth.

Totally diffrent beasts.

ER will need to be kept spinning harder, as a twin it tends to be slower off the mark if you run lower rev's.
Keep it spinning above 4.5K and its a totally diffrent bike to under 4.5K.

The D6 will happly run from 2K in top all the way to the red line.

I have found that the V brings out the worst in me, thanks to needing to be reved a lot more. Where as on the D I could quite happly bimble along all day with no trouble.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 06 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't give an opinion on either, until I'd had a test ride...have you done just this...? I think it's the best thing to do, in case you make the wrong decision for YOU. Idea
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 06 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I couldn't give an opinion on either, until I'd had a test ride...have you done just this...? I think it's the best thing to do, in case you make the wrong decision for YOU. Idea


Ah, this is where the 33 brake restriction rears its ugly head. Gotta do this one static!

Don't like the versys - despite me being tall, it's less comfortable than the ER6.
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 06 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
Don't like the versys - despite me being tall, it's less comfortable than the ER6.


Same engine though.

Which is in the main the diffrence between the 2 bikes.

One is a lazy slugger and the other a revey fighter.

In many ways totally diffrent beasts.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 06 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ6 gets my vote
____________________
Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AndyGB
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 06 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my ER6F (2008) for the daily commute and it's fine. I'm no speed merchant and am happy plodding along at 60 in 6th gear, with 3.5k revs on the clock.

This is the 2nd winter of commuting and I've had no rust, although I have smothered it in ACF50 and use a scottoiler which obviously helps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 06 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it new on finance is your choice yes?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 06 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Take it new on finance is your choice yes?


Yes.
Both available on 0%, £99 deposit.

Decided new er6 = £5500, after 2 years worth maybe £3k at trade in, lost £2.5k. Second hand, they're around for about £3.5k 2 or 3 years old, another 2 years on from that and it would probably be worth maybe £1500 at trade in, so £2k lost. A single warranty claim coming form the new bike could easily make the £500 difference up, not to mention that I would treat it to hugger, scotoiler, ACF etc from day 1 (ish); so at 2 years would hopefully be in better nick than some I've seen...

And I like the idea of having a new bike. It's worth the extra £500 anyway to know it's not been buggered about with (by someone else *cough*).

The XJ6 starts at £5200 and there's not quite such a direct 2nd hand version, but the maths is much the same.
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:26 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
##Paddy## wrote:
Take it new on finance is your choice yes?


Yes.
Both available on 0%, £99 deposit.

Decided new er6 = £5500, after 2 years worth maybe £3k at trade in, lost £2.5k. Second hand, they're around for about £3.5k 2 or 3 years old, another 2 years on from that and it would probably be worth maybe £1500 at trade in, so £2k lost. A single warranty claim coming form the new bike could easily make the £500 difference up, not to mention that I would treat it to hugger, scotoiler, ACF etc from day 1 (ish); so at 2 years would hopefully be in better nick than some I've seen...

And I like the idea of having a new bike. It's worth the extra £500 anyway to know it's not been buggered about with (by someone else *cough*).

The XJ6 starts at £5200 and there's not quite such a direct 2nd hand version, but the maths is much the same.


prefer the looks of the XJ6 and the fact its an IL4 should tempt you more Smile
Btw... some warranty people might get stressy if you add stuff to a bike? Not sure if its the same now as it was like 2 years ago.. i fitted an alarm and they said they cant do the warranty work on the lights because i interfered with the electrics?!
A honda garage installed it..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HopmanUK
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:02 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting an ER6 then its worth having a look at https://www.bikersoracle.com/er5/forum/

Forum dedicated to ER5 & ER6. Good bunch of people that are happy to give advice or lend a hand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:08 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your information, I found another ER-6 frame trouble example. According to its user, it's 2006 model.
What do you think of this? Pic nicked from Japanese SNS.
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/ER-6frame-1.jpg
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you get the Er6 - fit a hugger fairly promptly

I seem to recall something about mild steel connections to the reg/rec rusting up due to the daft positioning of the thing - huggers seem to prevent it. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "ouch" on the frame pic! Don't know what they've done to it tho...

But pretty much decided in my head to go with the Yamaha now, as they're OK to take my Varadero in part-ex, whereas the local Kawka dealer isn't interested (in part-exs at all really, not just mine!). I don't think I can be bothered with the hassle of a private sale - it'll mean doing a new MOT on the 'dero, and insuring (and storing... not a lot of room available) 2 bikes until sold....

Ta for the heads up re warranty and aftermarket - I'll be sure to ask (and make sure the answer agrees with the T&Cs on the actual warranty...).
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sebastianw
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ER6F with 33bhp restriction, bought it new.

For the first year it has been trouble free, dont really mind the restriction so far, up to 100mph indicated where it's legal.

The frame issues were related to the 2006 model where crash bobbins were fitted and were solved on the 2008 model. In any case it should be repaired under warranty.

You should be able to get a deal on the cost
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebastianw wrote:
The frame issues were related to the 2006 model where crash bobbins were fitted and were solved on the 2008 model. In any case it should be repaired under warranty.

Thanks, I hope newer ERs are trouble free.
Above pic is a case broken at the base of side stand.
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: New bike choice: ER6f or XJ6 Divvi Reply with quote

An odd choice when neither would seem to do the job that much better than a £1k SV650 or £1k divvy.
If you had loads of cash to splash, I could kinda understand, but it sounds ever more painful on credit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sebastianw
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: New bike choice: ER6f or XJ6 Divvi Reply with quote

G wrote:
An odd choice when neither would seem to do the job that much better than a £1k SV650 or £1k divvy.
If you had loads of cash to splash, I could kinda understand, but it sounds ever more painful on credit!



unless: want a warranty, want a new bike (don't want to trust an older model, I do over 10k miles a year commuting plus rides etc), don't want to spend too much, don't want a suzuki. The XJ6/ diversion was my equal first choice but I got so much off the rrp for the kawa that nothing else made sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: New bike choice: ER6f or XJ6 Divvi Reply with quote

In my experience warranties can make good bog paper if you run out, but are generally more hassle than they're worth to actually use for their claimed purpose.
You can get aftermarket warranties for second hand bikes including private sales.

If I was planning on doing 10k miles or more in a year there's no way I'd go new personally - very quickly your bike is in the same state as a second hand bike.
I could understand it a bit more for people planning not to do many miles, so their bike stays pretty new. When you could pay a lot less for a bike that's done effectively 6 months of your travel, I'd be keeping the money for other stuff personally.

Not wanting to trust an older model (that is if you spend a little more almost exactly the same as a newer versions) or not wanting a suzuki seems a bit illogical. Older models you're much more likely to know the issues they suffer from, why new models are more likely to suffer from unknown problems, further not liking a whole brand seems a bit weird (though, yes I know plenty do - I often criticise Hondas in a semi serious semi tounge in cheek fashion, but it hasn't stopped me owning them) when it has so much variety in the bikes it makes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 07 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: New bike choice: ER6f or XJ6 Divvi Reply with quote

G wrote:
An odd choice when neither would seem to do the job that much better than a £1k SV650 or £1k divvy.
If you had loads of cash to splash, I could kinda understand, but it sounds ever more painful on credit!


I do have loads of cash Smile (Enough for a tidy bike, anyway). But I'll still go interest free credit, 'cos that way the cash stays in my account longer Wink

I'd rather not be messing around in the grand end of the market - I don't have a lot of free time for messing/fixing/etc (I do have the tools and the know-how, but not a lot of time!). Looking for a straightforward ownership experience of a reasonable bike that doesn't let me down. I know that's not certain even with a new bike, but it seems like the least chancy route.

I'm not quite old/boring enough to get a CBF600 though... yet Wink




Think I'll have a red one

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/defblade/2009-yamaha-xj6-diversion.jpg

With a hugger and a top box.
Maybe heated grips.
And a touring screen (I'm 6' 4").
And what's the general feeling on ABS? (£300 extra)
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have changed my mind again.

2nd hand Bandits @ £2500-3000 ish are suddenly seeming like a good idea Smile

I am BUYING A BIKE tomorrow.

Just don't know which one.





And I keep having accidental sex wees over this one:
https://www.jtsmotorcycles.co.uk/bikes/details.php?stockno=301639
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: New bike choice: ER6f or XJ6 Divvi Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
I'd rather not be messing around in the grand end of the market - I don't have a lot of free time for messing/fixing/etc (I do have the tools and the know-how, but not a lot of time!). Looking for a straightforward ownership experience of a reasonable bike that doesn't let me down. I know that's not certain even with a new bike, but it seems like the least chancy route.



2+ years ownership of a 97 D6, Only work required was std maintenance and replacement of consumables. Average mileage a year 9K
Price of the bike £995

Must admit that if I had the cash a new bike would be my prefered choice. Thumbs Up
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: New bike choice: ER6f or XJ6 Divvi Reply with quote

defblade wrote:

I do have loads of cash Smile (Enough for a tidy bike, anyway). But I'll still go interest free credit, 'cos that way the cash stays in my account longer Wink

Often though, you can get better deals that save a load more than the interest would earn you by paying cash - 0% is almost always rrp.

I'd still prefer to get a £1k bike and pay someone £500 to generally sort it and do all the consumables, than then be paying out for official dealer servicing so you don't have hassle with warranties, which then take up more time trying to get stuff actually fixed under them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 10 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sickpup had a fairly new ER6 lunch its engine; they don't seem to be building up a particularly great reputation.

The idea of buying new to have a (worthless) warranty and the idea of trouble-free riding is an odd one to me, particularly with bikes. Far, far cheaper to buy something a few years old and spend a big chunk of cash on a massive service.

Have you ridden any restricted bikes at all? Particularly up against a bike that naturally makes 33bhp or less? I find my old 25bhp 250 far nicer to ride than a more powerful restricted bike.

Still, you'll buy new, get bored, sell it after a year because its too slow, buy another restricted bike and find it's just as slow, then finish your restriction period and wish you'd kept the first bike. I've been watching people do this on the forum for the last 8 years.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.37 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.1 Kb