Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cyclists

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Cyclists Reply with quote

Anyone else thoroughly annoyed by the manner in which some cyclists ride?

Today I was turning left onto Poultry/Cheapside in slow-ish moving traffic, when what felt like every single cyclist in the city decided to ignore my indicator and undertake me at a crawl. The van in front moved off fairly slowly, I check my mirrors and then there's these dayglow/lycra combos coming up my left side. So I'm stuck, moving at a crawl trying to get through a wall of bikes.

I counted thirteen, one even shouted at me! Evil or Very Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

paddlesat16
Crazy Courier



Joined: 07 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice diagram...

It's nice to wait and let there legs take the strain, with a twist of the wrist your gone. no problems. Very Happy
____________________
I once saw a bloke shagging a donkey.... in Saudi arabia. Theory Test Passed 26/10/09 Mod 1 Passed 26/4/10, Mod 2 Passed 7/6/10 Current Bikes Suzuki GSX1400 K5, Aprillia Pegaso 650, Suzuki DR350T.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a cyclist. I get really annoyed at cars and motorbikes trying to cut across me when I am in my cycle lane. I shout at them and make 'grrrr' noises too.

Selfish tossers.

To be honest though, who has priority? A cyclist pootling along in a cycle lane/side of road or the vehicle to the right wanting to turn left. If I am on my bicycle, I would expect them to let me proceed before turning left behind me. If the bike or car is ahead of me wanting to turn left then I would give them priority.

<shrugs>
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:


To be honest though, who has priority? A cyclist pootling along in a cycle lane/side of road or the vehicle to the right wanting to turn left. If I am on my bicycle, I would expect them to let me proceed before turning left behind me.


I'd let them go. If they hit you it's going to hurt a hell of a lot more.

Personally I keep an eye out for cars doing this, and let them go unless they let me go. Cars hurt.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:51 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:

Personally I keep an eye out for cars doing this, and let them go unless they let me go. Cars hurt.


I really don't want to have to find this out for myself Neutral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stelmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the work van I usually avoid the situation and do not not turn left. I'll drive to a roundabout or turn round in a side road to the right and go back.

If I can avoid a blame claim, I will. It's not worth it. Since my accident in January where someone SMIDSY'd me at work, i've got worse. Don't ride much either now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: Cyclists Reply with quote

vanflyheight13 wrote:
Anyone else thoroughly annoyed by the manner in which some motorcyclists ride?

Today I was turning left onto Poultry/Cheapside in slow-ish moving traffic, when what felt like every single motorcyclist in the city decided to ignore my indicator and undertake me at a crawl. The van in front moved off fairly slowly, I check my mirrors and then there's these dayglow/leather combos coming up my left side. So I'm stuck, moving at a crawl trying to get through a wall of bikes.

I counted thirteen, one even shouted at me! Evil or Very Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stelmer wrote:
In the work van I usually avoid the situation and do not not turn left. I'll drive to a roundabout or turn round in a side road to the right and go back.

If I can avoid a blame claim, I will. It's not worth it. Since my accident in January where someone SMIDSY'd me at work, i've got worse. Don't ride much either now.


I know someone who won't turn right across a lane of traffic on some roads for that reason. She'll keep going until a roundabout, turn around and come back.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: Cyclists Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
vanflyheight13 wrote:
Anyone else thoroughly annoyed by the manner in which some motorcyclists ride?

Today I was turning left onto Poultry/Cheapside in slow-ish moving traffic, when what felt like every single motorcyclist in the city decided to ignore my indicator and undertake me at a crawl. The van in front moved off fairly slowly, I check my mirrors and then there's these dayglow/leather combos coming up my left side. So I'm stuck, moving at a crawl trying to get through a wall of bikes.

I counted thirteen, one even shouted at me! Evil or Very Mad


Fair point, but on the whole motorcyclists obey the highway code, cyclists don't.

Edit: Sorry for the double post
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: Cyclists Reply with quote

vanflyheight13 wrote:


Fair point, but on the whole motorcyclists obey the highway code, cyclists don't.



Plenty of good and bad in both in my experience.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sagalout
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of cycling and notice far more bad driving towards me than when I'm on the motorbike.

A particular favourite is cars / vans that underestimate my speed, overtake me and then swing left into a left hand turn almost side swiping me. Also cars that overtake quickly then slam all on and swerve left for speedbumps - I've hit the back of 2 cars that did that to me on the same downhill where I was doing 30mph.

I will undertake cars where safe to do so though (but not near left hand turns) as cycling is all about keeping up momentum, and its a right pain when you stop as you have to unclip from the pedals then clip in again everytime you set off.

There are suicidal cyclists about though, especially in cities. Basically you have to cycle even more defensively than you ride, but with the advantage of undertaking (although if traffic is moving at less than 10mph I often filter down the middle where I'd be on the motorbike)
____________________
Current Bike: Triumph Speed Triple T309
Previous: CBR600F => ZX9R => Triumph Tiger => Honda Blackbird => GSXR 750 => Versys =>ZX12R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: Cyclists Reply with quote

vanflyheight13 wrote:

Fair point, but on the whole motorcyclists obey the highway code, cyclists don't.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

sagalout wrote:
I do a lot of cycling and notice far more bad driving towards me than when I'm on the motorbike...

Basically you have to cycle even more defensively than you ride


Yeah, have been run off the road a few times whilst on the pedals. Wasn't fun by anyones standards. I just don't see why people can't be courteous and give everyone enough room, especially to more vulnerable road users.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
To be honest though, who has priority? A cyclist pootling along in a cycle lane/side of road or the vehicle to the right wanting to turn left.


You shouldnt get into the situation in the first place

In free flowing traffic you should wait behind the cyclist and turn left once they have cleared the junction. You shouldnt over take then slam on and turn left. Un nerves the cyclist, can be dangerous, effects another road user. You would fail your test for it

In standing traffic if you are indicating the cyclist shouldnt go up the inside of you unless they can clear the front of you in the bit that is sometimes sectioned off for cyclists at lights


Of course in the real world it aint happening. Smile
____________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBT Passed 18th July 2007 : Previous Bikes> CG125 : Current Bike> Hornet 600 : PASSED DAS 30th Oct 2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meshuggah
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
I'm a cyclist. I get really annoyed at cars and motorbikes trying to cut across me when I am in my cycle lane. I shout at them and make 'grrrr' noises too.

Selfish tossers.

To be honest though, who has priority? A cyclist pootling along in a cycle lane/side of road or the vehicle to the right wanting to turn left. If I am on my bicycle, I would expect them to let me proceed before turning left behind me. If the bike or car is ahead of me wanting to turn left then I would give them priority.

<shrugs>


So many many many many times i saw cyclist almost getting killed or run over cause they completely ignore the left indicators of cars turning.. left... or even better truck and buses.

and why??? why bikes don't have review mirrors???
____________________
Triumph Tiger 800 2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan79
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

As motorcyclists we are all vulnerable users of the road and so we should think carefully before picking on another group of even more vulnerable road users. As a motorcyclist (who uses a small motorbike and a medium size cruiser), car driver, cyclist, and pedestrian, my experience is that many other road users treat their fellow travellers with a degree of contempt, rudeness and recklessness inversely proportional to the size of vehicle they are using (or not using!). I can predict how other drivers will in general treat me very accurately before I get on the road, according to which I use.

All those who rant about cyclists, or any other group for that matter, should try doing as they do for a while and see how they like it.
____________________
Previous bikes - 1984 Honda VF500 (FII) Interceptor and 1990 Yamaha RXS100
Current bikes - 1984 Honda VF500 (V30) Magna
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the ones who ride the lanes 3 or 4 abreast and there is usually a bloody long line of them so noone can overtake.

There were a couple last night when I was out on the bike, they were side by side on a narrow lane and when I went to overtake (leaving wobbling room) they spread out a bit more across the road. Needless to say I waved politely at them and continued on my way.
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an occasion cyclist, who sometimes forgets he's not on a motorbike.

Today as I approached an pelican crossing, with a car stood waiting for the light to change, I knew I could maintain my speed, and overtake the car, as I would arrive as the lights changed.

This was motorbike thinking, I went alongside, but the car pulled away, we were longside for a few seconds, I wasnt gonna get the overtake and so I did the sensible thing, braked, and pulled in behind, instead of going for the overtake.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitty kat wrote:
What about the ones who ride the lanes 3 or 4 abreast and there is usually a bloody long line of them so noone can overtake.

There were a couple last night when I was out on the bike, they were side by side on a narrow lane and when I went to overtake (leaving wobbling room) they spread out a bit more across the road. Needless to say I waved politely at them and continued on my way.

2 abreast is legal anything else is not. If overtaking have a look at the road surface coming up for a cyclist. In the kerb there are drains/debris/big potholes to avoid which would have a cyclist off.

Anymore than 2 is illegal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:56 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones that annoy the fuck out of me are the ones that rip through the red lights at the crossing by my sons school, usually when i'm halfway across with my 4 yr old son..

Wankers... Evil or Very Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be able to go through traffic lights is an advantage of cycling. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if theres a chance you hit my son...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!

vanflyheight13 I take that route every morning to get into work on the gsxr1000 that junction is a nightmare with cyclists

In fact the whole city of london is a nightmare with cyclists, most dont look where they are going and take far too many risks jumping red lights
____________________
Elen sila lummen omentielvo!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck2 wrote:
Not if theres a chance you hit my son...

As long as your kid doesn't step off the pavement in front of any cyclists then there won't be any problems.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sebastianw
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any cyclist should know better than to undertake on the LHS of any vehicle, especially in the City (of London)...............but they mostly assume that they have right of way regardless of the road, highway code etc etc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.37 Kb