Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New Monster 696

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 22 Apr 2010    Post subject: New Monster 696 Reply with quote

Due to a surprising change in circumstances (and my SM not being practical ofr my uses anymore) I am considering something tarty.

Has anyone ridden one of these yet (I do intend to get a test ride)? Also does anyone know (a Ducati mechanic?) what they are like to work on. Or can anyone else tell from pics if they are similar to older air-cooled Ducati's?

This would be an every day commuting bike (yes I'm aware an old SV would probably do the job better for a 3rd of the price), can the electrics/general reliability handle it?

Thanks for any input.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 22 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd hold out on the 696 as they've just released a 796 Cool

https://www.ducati.com/bikes/monster/796/index.do

The newer bikes are sorted and don't have any problems really and it's air cooled so pretty easy to work on as well.

Check out UKMonster for more info Thumbs Up
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:14 - 22 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

monster came first (1993)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_Monster

triple was probly inspired by Steve burns monster
____________________
"intelligent inattention is preferable to unintelligent tinkering"
www.davejps.com


Last edited by Dr. DaveJPS on 15:16 - 22 Apr 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 22 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
If I were you I'd hold out on the 696 as they've just released a 796 Cool

https://www.ducati.com/bikes/monster/796/index.do

The newer bikes are sorted and don't have any problems really and it's air cooled so pretty easy to work on as well.

Check out UKMonster for more info Thumbs Up


That's tasty.
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 22 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

7k new has an APTC clutch and with the option of ABS. You can get interchangeable panels so you can change it when you feel like it!

If the price is right in a few years I might get one second hand Cool
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

crackfinder
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 22 Apr 2010    Post subject: 696 Reply with quote

I test rode the 696 last summer,
lovely to look at, very nice to ride, comfy, good brakes, sounds great, only downside was that i thought it was a bit on the slow side, might just be me, not being used to a twin, but i thought it was slow in comparison to my fazer
Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 22 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: 696 Reply with quote

crackfinder wrote:
I test rode the 696 last summer,
lovely to look at, very nice to ride, comfy, good brakes, sounds great, only downside was that i thought it was a bit on the slow side, might just be me, not being used to a twin, but i thought it was slow in comparison to my fazer
Smile


Yeah they are pretty low powered. I think it was something to do with them being air cooled but thats just what I heard someone else say don't know if it's true Laughing

But for power the 1100, S2R, S4R, etc are good
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:15 - 23 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from a DRZ400 outright power isnt an issue. I've ridden all sorts of bikes and around 80bhp is mroe than enough for me. More than enough power for steady 70-80mph cruising and I barely go over 100 on any bike I use nowadays. Something reasonably comfy that can be fun is what I want.

I had seen the 796 is coming out, but you get a claimed 5bhp more and some more torque at lower revs. Considering I weigh very little and rarely take passengers the extra torque is negligable, and the power as mentioned redundant. For over a grand more in cost.

I shall get a test ride and see how it goes.

Edit: Both 696 & 796 apparently come with the APTC clutch. Both also have the option of ABS,so the cost saving would be beneficial to me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 23 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
Coming from a DRZ400 outright power isnt an issue. I've ridden all sorts of bikes and around 80bhp is mroe than enough for me. More than enough power for steady 70-80mph cruising and I barely go over 100 on any bike I use nowadays. Something reasonably comfy that can be fun is what I want.

I had seen the 796 is coming out, but you get a claimed 5bhp more and some more torque at lower revs. Considering I weigh very little and rarely take passengers the extra torque is negligable, and the power as mentioned redundant. For over a grand more in cost.

I shall get a test ride and see how it goes.

Edit: Both 696 & 796 apparently come with the APTC clutch. Both also have the option of ABS,so the cost saving would be beneficial to me.


I just said 796 because I like the single sided swing arm Laughing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a sit on one and found it quite nice. Good position and a nice size for my little frame.

How have you found your bike to be in terms of reliability and maintanence rac3r? Do you use your bike for comuting at all as well, or is it just a summer toy?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hanginoff
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look great in white, but how long for?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hanginoff
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look great in white, but how long for?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:38 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
I had a sit on one and found it quite nice. Good position and a nice size for my little frame.

How have you found your bike to be in terms of reliability and maintanence rac3r? Do you use your bike for comuting at all as well, or is it just a summer toy?


Both. I usually use it for frequent short journey's, through the winter as well (apart from snow/ice) but only a couple of times in the rain as I don't like it.

Starts every time and not had any problems yet. The only thing was the clocks misted slightly once while they were in direct sunlight in traffic. It's common for my type but the new ones have new clocks so its not relevant Laughing

I'll be doing the minor service my self soon and next year major service incl belts at the garage.

Good luck and be sure to join UKMonster Thumbs Up
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu could also consider a 695, as you can pick them up for less than £3k. A lot of people bought them when they first came out in 2006 and are now selling to go up in size.
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
YOu could also consider a 695, as you can pick them up for less than £3k. A lot of people bought them when they first came out in 2006 and are now selling to go up in size.


I've seen you somewhere before haven't I ? Laughing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine the 796 monster will depreciate a little slower being the newer tartier model no? Something to factor in if you are planning on buying new.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
YOu could also consider a 695, as you can pick them up for less than £3k. A lot of people bought them when they first came out in 2006 and are now selling to go up in size.

A reason for going for the 696 has quite a lot to do with the styling. I just think it looks right (it is a Ducati after all). Dont worry, I'll leave now with my fake fur caot & handbag! Embarassed

Seb wrote:
I'd imagine the 796 monster will depreciate a little slower being the newer tartier model no? Something to factor in if you are planning on buying new.

I had considered this slightly. It seems I keep bikes for about 2 years on average, so I imagine the depreciation will be roughly the same in terms of percent for both. I also think the 696 may hold it's value better as it's an 'entry' level bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going stock or any accessories included? *cough* Termis *cough* Laughing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G will disown you if you buy a duke. Laughing

Personally not a fan of the 696. Look a bit faggy to me.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy anything...go and have a look at the Benelli 899 Triple, it's gorgeous...and can be bought new for a snip at £8k. Spent a good amount of time sitting astride one today at a bike show. Cool
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 25 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Before you buy anything...go and have a look at the Benelli 899 Triple, it's gorgeous...and can be bought new for a snip at £8k. Spent a good amount of time sitting astride one today at a bike show. Cool

£8k is a bit too steefor me. I dont like the design so much either. Far too fussy and akward compared to the Ducati. Nice bike though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.18 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 117.92 Kb