Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Brand new bike + insurance = ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TCGS
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 17 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 03 May 2010    Post subject: Brand new bike + insurance = ? Reply with quote

Hi.

so I'm considering getting a brand new bike. When I went to the shop I asked them how long it all took etc and he said that I had to get insurance before they can register it, once I bring them the insurance certificate then they send things off and register the bike, I can then normally pick it up within two days.

But, you can't get insurance without a registration number, so I'm confused how this will work.

Also, then I'm paying for 2 days insurance that I can't use (I know its not much but its still around £2 lol)


So maybe I mixed things up.

So, how do you go about buying a brand new bike?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 03 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop will know what the reg number of the bike is before it's actually registered, I think. My brother bought a new bike recently and it was quite a pain in the arse getting it all sorted out. No wonder sales are declining.
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 03 May 2010    Post subject: Re: Brand new bike + insurance = ? Reply with quote

TCGS wrote:
Hi.

so I'm considering getting a brand new bike. When I went to the shop I asked them how long it all took etc and he said that I had to get insurance before they can register it, once I bring them the insurance certificate then they send things off and register the bike, I can then normally pick it up within two days.

But, you can't get insurance without a registration number, so I'm confused how this will work.

Also, then I'm paying for 2 days insurance that I can't use (I know its not much but its still around £2 lol)


So maybe I mixed things up.

So, how do you go about buying a brand new bike?


Are you getting confused between Registering and Taxing?

You do not need insurance for them to register the bike. The shop can do that regardless, and usually let you choose a numberplate from a list they already have assigned to them.

If you want them to tax it for you, you may well have to give them your covernote and they'll just do that at a post office like you or I would.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TCGS
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 17 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 03 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I get it now. They said they could sort all that out for me as 'part of the service' I suppose.

TBH I would rather do it myself, its dead easy and the post office is on the way home from the bike dealer.

On the other hand, maybe they could get in trouble if they willingly and knowingly let me drive off with no tax...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 03 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCGS wrote:

On the other hand, maybe they could get in trouble if they willingly and knowingly let me drive off with no tax...


You own the vehicle, you're the one riding without tax. I doubt they'd mind.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TCGS
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 17 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 03 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah true.

Its literally around 1km up the road, and even IF I did get pulled over, I'm sure they would let me off... probably!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get insurance on the frame number, but that shouldn't be necessary in this case.
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

poorboyspost
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 26 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:47 - 05 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure about it that you need to get an insurance before they register it. Maybe they are just concern on your safety or maybe that's the policy in their shop.
____________________
Pimp my RIDE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bEN_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 05 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the same with me back in March, i had to email them a copy of my insurance before i could even have it delivered
____________________
2010 Ducati 848 Dark

Lamp Post Enthusiast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.2 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 59.53 Kb