Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


GPX's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Neepling
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: GPX's Reply with quote

Hi all,
a quick question ... ...
I've been quite happy riding my American import GPX 250 for a couple of years now but I feel it's time to move on to something bigger and I'm baffled by choice!
However I have just seen a GPX 750 for sale and am tempted to go for it as my 250 rides very nicely (better the Devil you know etc).

My question is does anyone have any experience of the GPX 750's and would they recommend or advise to steer away?

Cheers
John
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kelvyn
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a gpx600 as my first bike and currently have a ZXR750 and a 1987 GPX750 (which I rode through winter).

If it has the standard exhaust - it will be welded to bits or rotting at the link pipe.
Carb rubbers are expensive if they need replacing (I ended up going for k&n individual filters instead).
Shares parts across the GPX range and some (but less than I hoped) with the ZXR H2.
18" Rear and 16" front (if i remember rightly)...
ESCS - antidive probably won't work, don't worry about it.

Comfortable to ride long distance, nimble enough in town.

How much you paying for it?

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs075.snc3/14234_226564535469_512255469_4623972_7212745_n.jpg

I thought it felt sporty and quick until I got my ZXR, but the ZXR isn't anywhere near as comfortable for commuting. (though since getting the zxr on the road, I've not ridden the gpx more than three times!)


Last edited by kelvyn on 18:23 - 14 May 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:22 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are shit, massive and dont handle at all.
my friend has one for sale. MOT and tax etc, just not been run for ages.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Re: GPX's Reply with quote

Only if it's very cheap and you're on a budget - there are much better bikes out there for not a massive amount of money.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neepling
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:06 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ok. Maybe a CBR600 then
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:29 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neepling wrote:
Hmm ok. Maybe a CBR600 then

id raqther have a gpx and all its problems than the cbr, a sheeps bike with a good rep, but really is just shit
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:04 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't a great fan of early CBRs either, but they were 'ok' I thought - however what's your budget before we go on?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neepling
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The budget I'm playing with is only about £1500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had a GPX750 for 3 months in Aus years ago. It was a decent enough bike, but I had an FZ750 at the time in the UK and that was a better bike than the GPX (well, except for seat comfort - the FZ750 seat was rejected by the Spanish Inquisition for being too cruel).

From memory, rear shock uses air pressure and I suspect probably struggles to hold air by now. Alternator is belt driven I think, but think they are a pain to change (if still available). They had a reputation for getting very unstable if pushed on a bumpy road.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the stability issues came form the fact they really tried to lighten the GPX750 compared to its predecessors-around 195kg dry compared to 225 for the GPz750/900. This was mostly taken from the frame.

So instead of a heavy, but steady handler you get one that is notoriously twitchy at speed. Unlike many older bikes, it is not tamed by modern tyres.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

For £1500 I would be looking at a G/J model ZX6R, which would give a massively better over-all experience I'd say.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kelvyn
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 16 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't part with more than 600 notes for a gpx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

plugger147
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 16 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

or if you were looking at something to do the job in a very similar way only much better (comfort/touring with decent power and not to bad handling) You could get a tidy zzr600 for £1500 with a bit of looking round.
____________________
Tristan the wrote: just whipped off my trousers to find a big bruise on my arse, caused by matt rear ending me...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.53 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 78.03 Kb