Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


6v Battery question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

russeleoin
Nova Slayer



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 05 Jun 2010    Post subject: 6v Battery question Reply with quote

Hi All. My YB100 goes through a battery every year or so. It is not really a problem, but I wondered if there was a better option for replacment. The normal is a 6N4A-4D, but I was thinking if I can fit two NP4-6 ( much more modern type, still 6V4Ah though) in parrallel they might perform better.?

Any idea's?

Thanks, Russ
____________________
I love classic merc's but bikes take up less space.
Current ride is a Yamaha YB 100 and I love it! Oooow and now a running GPZ400R!
Next stop, Direct Access hopefully by the end of summer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 05 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a charger Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

russeleoin
Nova Slayer



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 05 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ja Paxovasa, I have one of those. But I don't undo the side panel each night, disconnect the battery, connect it to the charger and reverse the operation in the morning. I just want the bike to charge the battery properly. The charging circuitary is fine, the 26 mile round journey to and from work should be plenty of time to charge. When I leave in the morning, the battery cannot even get the neutral light going. By the time I get to work it is charged enough to fun the lights and horn for a bit. On the way home it can just get a glow from the neutral and then by morning the battery is dead. There is no earth leakage or anything like that. It just seems the batteries do not last very long. A new battery is fine for 6-8 months or so.

Russ
____________________
I love classic merc's but bikes take up less space.
Current ride is a Yamaha YB 100 and I love it! Oooow and now a running GPZ400R!
Next stop, Direct Access hopefully by the end of summer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 05 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might it is not charging the battery properly.

Check the battery with a multi meter when the bike is running Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

finpos
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 05 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, cheap batteries don't quite seem to last a year any more. Look for any battery that is described as "AGM", it'll be miles better than any cheap standard battery. Will also probably cost 3 times as much, though.

If you can't find one that has specific fitment for your bike you can bodge one in - they tend to be physically smaller than their normal equivalent for a given rating. Placement and type of terminals will be the hardest bit to get right.

f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 43 Kb