Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


3 Month Europe Trip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

oriel dave
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 09 Jun 2010    Post subject: 3 Month Europe Trip Reply with quote

I have finally finished writing up a Europe trip me and my girlfriend went on on a bandit 600 and zephyr 550 last year. It's on this website I made: toeuropewithus.co.uk

We got a lot of help and inspiration from peoples trip write ups on here so I thought I'd post this for anyone who's interested.

Some things: 19 countries, 3 months, 10,000 miles, many photos.

Some photos to tempt you:

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C06%5C09%5Cbikepics-1994400-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C06%5C09%5Cbikepics-1994402-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C06%5C09%5Cbikepics-1994404-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C06%5C09%5Cbikepics-1994406-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C06%5C09%5Cbikepics-1994408-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C06%5C09%5Cbikepics-1994409-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C06%5C09%5Cbikepics-1994412-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C06%5C09%5Cbikepics-1994413-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010\06\09\bikepics-1994417-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C06%5C09%5Cbikepics-1994419-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010\06\09\bikepics-1994421-full.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C06%5C09%5Cbikepics-1994422-full.jpg

<edited so the pictures actually load>
____________________
Europe Trip 2009


Last edited by oriel dave on 22:20 - 09 Jun 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nai
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 09 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only see 1 picture in this post. Did have a look at your site though, definitely my read for tomorrow! That is a lot of writing Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oriel dave
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 09 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed. Thumbs Up

Yeah it took a while to write!
____________________
Europe Trip 2009
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 09 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you had to display a GB sticker.

Could be wrong though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oriel dave
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 09 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do but I couldn't find anywhere to put it on the back so put it on the front mudguard.

Nobody seemed to care about stuff like that though.
____________________
Europe Trip 2009
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Name_goes_here
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:06 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome stuff mate, im so jealous. Going on a trip like that and being able to do it with the missus Thumbs Up
Read through to Finland and then it kept redirecting me to some dodgey site?.. anybody else having this problem?


Andrew
____________________
Current: ZZR600

Previous: TDM850, ZX7R, TRX850,TDM850 (seriously underated bike!),XJ600 (owned for 6 hours), BMW K100, XTZ750, TDM850,GSXR600, FZR400 Streetfighter, XJ600 Streetfighter, ZXR750, FZR600 (Killed in the side of a car) And some little crappy things ridden round fields Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oriel dave
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate. I've just checked and it's redirecting to mybookface.net which is the holding site of the free hosting I'm using. Hopefully it's a mistake or their servers are down. I'm waiting for them to get back to me now.
____________________
Europe Trip 2009
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2E
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

oriel dave wrote:
Cheers mate. I've just checked and it's redirecting to mybookface.net which is the holding site of the free hosting I'm using. Hopefully it's a mistake or their servers are down. I'm waiting for them to get back to me now.


'Free Hosting' sites won't have alot of bandwidth. Thumbs Down

Just copy the write up here... might take a while but at least the BCF server can handle it. Laughing
____________________
Bringing Classic Bikes Back Into Fashion
Rides: 1980 Honda CX500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oriel dave
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bandwidth problem - there's a monthly quota and I'm well below it. This normally happens if your account has been suspended for some reason so I'm hoping it's just a mistake.

If they don't fix it soon I will copy the write-up onto here. Problem is I have to upload all of about 1000 photographs somewhere else!
____________________
Europe Trip 2009
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Name_goes_here
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

oriel dave wrote:
Cheers mate. I've just checked and it's redirecting to mybookface.net which is the holding site of the free hosting I'm using. Hopefully it's a mistake or their servers are down. I'm waiting for them to get back to me now.


Ok mate i'll give it a day or two and try again. was the experience as good as it looked?


Andrew
____________________
Current: ZZR600

Previous: TDM850, ZX7R, TRX850,TDM850 (seriously underated bike!),XJ600 (owned for 6 hours), BMW K100, XTZ750, TDM850,GSXR600, FZR400 Streetfighter, XJ600 Streetfighter, ZXR750, FZR600 (Killed in the side of a car) And some little crappy things ridden round fields Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

early_911
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 29 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great trip . . . wish I could have 3 months off.

Phil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oriel dave
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 10 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right that should be it fixed now. My account was suspended because apparently the site had an excessive number of hits which consumed too much server resource...

Anyway I've hosted the photos on another site so hopefully they wont suspend me again as there's not much coming off their servers anymore.

Name_goes_here wrote:
Ok mate i'll give it a day or two and try again. was the experience as good as it looked?


Of course I haven't told you about all the arguments, the absolute mission of packing up soft luggage everyday and unpacking it all at the end of it, lugging it about whenever you stay anywhere, constantly getting shit nights sleeps because you haven't got proper equipment etc etc.

But yes, it was awesome and I would do it all again.

early_911 wrote:
Looks like a great trip . . . wish I could have 3 months off.


I was lucky to have it (having just fininshed uni) and I wanted to go for longer but actually three months in close proximity with your better half is long enough!
____________________
Europe Trip 2009
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Name_goes_here
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you have done different? (just so i know if i plan my own trip like this)
Cheers

Andrew
____________________
Current: ZZR600

Previous: TDM850, ZX7R, TRX850,TDM850 (seriously underated bike!),XJ600 (owned for 6 hours), BMW K100, XTZ750, TDM850,GSXR600, FZR400 Streetfighter, XJ600 Streetfighter, ZXR750, FZR600 (Killed in the side of a car) And some little crappy things ridden round fields Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up.

Loved the pics (snigger) Mr. Green


https://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/oriel_dave/Norway/norwayDSCF9571.jpg
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oriel dave
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Great write-up.

Loved the pics (snigger) Mr. Green


Cheers. Thumbs Up I *think* I was allowed to include that one..

Name_goes_here wrote:
What would you have done different?


Not much really, I was quite happy with our relaxed and relatively unplanned style of travelling. If (when) I go on another trip I will spend a bit more beforehand getting camping gear that packs smaller. In heinsight I would have sacrificed a couple of weeks of travelling for this convenience.

I would also fit a cigarette lighter adapter so I could charge stuff and take my ipod - I really did crave music after the first month.

Travelling with your other half: something we talked about but never did was to split up for a few days and meet at an arranged place a few days later. I think this would have been really good to have time doing stuff on our lonesomes for a bit.
____________________
Europe Trip 2009
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tiff
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be one of the best trip reports I've ever seen. been to Germany and Poland myself, but would LOVE to do what you did. Just spent a good hour and a half going through it all. Brilliant!!
____________________
1996 Kawasaki GPZ1100s,1996 VFR750,1980 BMW R80,1982 Kwak Z250B,1992 ZZR1100C,1996 BMW K1100LT,1994 Kwak ZZR600E,1993 BMW R1100RS,1992 ZZR 600D,1988 BMW K100LT,1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650,1994 Suzuki RF900,1991 Yamaha XJ600, 1988 Honda Dominator,1992 Kwak KMX125,1987 Yamaha RD50MX,1984 Honda MBX50.1984 Honda Superdream 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oriel dave
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate! Thanks very much. Thumbs Up
____________________
Europe Trip 2009
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 13 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked like a fantastic adventure. Thanks for the pics. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 17 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic trip, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 106.54 Kb