|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:57 - 21 Jun 2010 Post subject: What bike for a tall fat bloke? |
 |
|
Afternoon all,
After my CG125 being written off by the local scum trying to nick it, I'm looking to book my DAS in the next couple of weeks. Have been planning for a while what sort of bike I would be looking for after my test, and came out with a couple of clear favourites:
CBR600F
YZF600R Thundercat
Suzuki SV650
However, I went to have a sit on a few bikes at the weekend, and have found out that these bikes are tiny... I'm 6' 4" and the wrong side of 18 stone, so not a small person!
So, the SV650 is small and uncomfortable, the CBR600F is better, but still too small, and there wasn't a Thundercat to try.
So, my query is: Are there any bikes around 600ccs that you would recommend I have a look at? The bike would be used mainly for commuting, and I want something with a sporty look, rather than a sporting pedigree.
By far the most comfortable bike I tried was a 2000 VFR800, so I'm giving this some serious consideration if anyone has any opinions one way or another? ____________________ Current Bike: 2018 Honda CRF250L
Ex-Bikes: 2002 Honda CG125, 1998 Honda VFR800, 2011 Honda CBR600F, 2013 Triumph Sprint GT SE, 2015 Kawasaki ZX10R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:22 - 21 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Look away from the pure sports bikes. A street-bike will probably fit you better. Fazer, Hornet, Babndit etc.
Dont be too bothered about keeping it to 600cc. Its the bikes behaviour / nature, not its engine size that will urge you to stupidness or keep you sensible.
Just remember that the throttle goes BOTH ways and is an infinitely variable analogue input.... not an on/off switch!
VFR could do you well, if you like & it 'fits'.
Thats the main thing, get a bike you are comfortable on, rest will follow.
For commuting, though, would have to caution about 'big bikes' for the job.... the task squares tyres, stretches chains, eats brake-pads & colapses wheel-bearings. Maintenence costs are high in consequence & you dont save much fuel slogging through the city.
If THAT is to be its main task, unless yuo like throwing away tyres with loads of tread on them & enjoy getting your mits creasy changing chains.... something a little more, err... 'mundane' may be a better bet, preferably something with shaft drive..... BMW's still excell in the role.... but plenty of alternatives. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:05 - 21 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
But, but, the commuting bikes aren't pretty
If I can keep costs down to less that £100 a month (excluding fuel), I'll still be saving more money than on my current train ticket..... The commute is mainly fairly quiet A-roads, so not too much town riding, so fuel economy shouldn't be too bad, and a 45 minute ride each way shouldn't be too harsh on an engine.
The reason I would avoid sportsbikes is because even 'soft' sportsbikes (CBR600F) feels small and cramped, and the new ZX-6R feels like a childs toy beneath me. However, I just don't like most styles of bike. Nothing against anyone else who does, but I tend to find only the sporty looking bikes pleasing to the eye.
So, VFR is still the leading contender  ____________________ Current Bike: 2018 Honda CRF250L
Ex-Bikes: 2002 Honda CG125, 1998 Honda VFR800, 2011 Honda CBR600F, 2013 Triumph Sprint GT SE, 2015 Kawasaki ZX10R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kal |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kal World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Jan 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:11 - 21 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you want to drop the sports bike look, a TDM900 is perfect for you it is massive and the engine is nice and torquey around the same power as the bikes you are looking at and the insurance is reasonable (probably less than the old 600s) Only poroblem is it isn't a looker
Reliable and perfect for the commute though.  ____________________ Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WD Forte |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WD Forte World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Jun 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| metalangel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 metalangel World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Feb 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 06:30 - 22 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Don't get an SV, have you considered something bigger like a Blandit or Fazer or Z750? ____________________ Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TCGS |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TCGS Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 17 Jul 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WD Forte |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WD Forte World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Jun 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:58 - 22 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
THAT'S the one! Imagine bearded, beer-gut-laden Biker, on it, riding in the 'pack' round stratford, Bash week-end! Twas a sight!
And Is a very 'cool' bike. 35cc two gears, does about 45mph... not bad for a little wheel moped, hugh?! But no rear suspension..... he Kept making the 'Joke'.... "ere, hav a look at mi-new 'Ard-Tail-Shopper!"
| Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: | | WD Forte wrote: | Whats your budget?
If you want to commute on it screw the looks go for reliabilty and longevity K series Beemer, Deauville, Pan mayb even a Divvy900 not water cooled OK, but a shaftie Ok I'm a shaftie fan and dont ever want a chained bike again. Right thats my two pennorth, I'll go back to swearing at the telly and leave you in peace...... |
Looking to spend in the region of £1500-2000. Can I just get a VFR?
Would the bikes that you've suggested be a good move off of a 125?
Ta |
On that budget, TBH look 'humble'.
When you said £100pcm running exc fuel, I dont know whether you factored in the overheads of Insurance in there.... its still generouse, BUT....
Bikes in that price range, of the sort you are suggesting, TEND to be..... err...... 'tired'.
That'll mean they need more spending on them to get on top of the maintenence. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| defblade |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 defblade World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Apr 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:26 - 22 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm 6' 4" and 16 stone, fine on my Bandit 650 (although the fairing's a waste of time for me - might as well be a naked).
Actually, the v-strom was a better fit, but it's sooooo ugly
Just go and sit on as many bikes as possible till you find one you like  ____________________ Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WD Forte |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WD Forte World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Jun 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:00 - 23 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Scooty Puff
I'm obviously biased as I ride a k100RS but
as the K's are not 'real' BMW's they often go for very good prices.
I know guys with K75's and K100/1100'S and the things can log up massive mileages
without major work and definitely Worth considering on your budget.
Smooth, biddable only goes as fast you want it to
A mate just got a good K100Rt 58000 miler for £600
hardly run in at 58 thou
NOT sporty but well built and solid .No street cred, not sexy or a fanny magnet by any means
but I'd jump on my 87 RS and go anywhere in Europe with no worries
Spares not a problem sometimes pricey but what bikes aint?
My RS will cruise at a ton all day long and give 50 MPG
Aberdeen to bristol on a sunday afternoon last year
I was knackered but the bike would have kept going round the clock
Not bad for a 22 year old bike eh?
After a CG125 any larger bike will feel awesome at first
My lad passed his test and I got him an old CX500 I got cheap as his first
'big' bike he's still riding and enjoying it now 3 years later.
he doesnt give a monkeys when his mates with sporty bikes take the piss
about him ridng a bike older than he is.
I'm 6'3" hes 6'7" and the old CX is a good old runabout if looked after but
many are showing signs of distress nowadays and you need to know them to keep
em running.they can also suffer from rot in the frame and swinging arm but
as his dad does all the work and servicing, hes got no worries.
If you want cool/sexy ignore the above but whatever you get I suggest you
take your time,consider what you want and how you want to use it and read up on the bike/s
and gather opinons before buying.
there are still good deals to be had for your money, dont get beguiled by chrome and plastic
check out the UBG buyers bible as well
https://www.usedbikeguide.com/bible/index.asp ____________________ bikers smell of wee |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:38 - 23 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| WD Forte wrote: | Lots of interesting things |
Thanks for all the feedback chaps, 'tis most appreciated. I think that it has helped, in that I would be more willing to look outside of the sporty looking bikes, if I see something decent.
Don't get me wrong, I still want a VFR, and if I see one in good nick within my price range, I will buy it. It looks practical enough to just about claim it's a sensible commuter But if I can't, I will look at the bikes mentioned.
BMW K100 - Looks to be few of them around on MCN, Biketrader and eBay. Not gouge-your-eyes-out ugly, but not a stunner either.
Suzuki Bandit - I've never been fond of Suzukis, not sure why. I've heard lots of bad things about them and rust...
Yamaha TDM900 - Doesn't look too special, but I'm sure would handle the job competently.
Pan - Looks a little large in terms of size and weight.
Dullville - Looks a little dull....
So, off to look at VFRs  ____________________ Current Bike: 2018 Honda CRF250L
Ex-Bikes: 2002 Honda CG125, 1998 Honda VFR800, 2011 Honda CBR600F, 2013 Triumph Sprint GT SE, 2015 Kawasaki ZX10R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:40 - 23 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: | BMW K100 - Looks to be few of them around on MCN, Biketrader and eBay. Not gouge-your-eyes-out ugly, but not a stunner either. |
I REALLY liked this suggestion. It would be a great bike to have as a first 'big' bike.
K75, though, much unloved, and a real steal in your price range, as long as you find one that HASN'T been run into the ground as a 'hack', & polished up....
Bit 'wooly' and comparitively under-powered, BUT from what your stepping up from still a revalation, and POSSIBLY one to think about.
| Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: | Suzuki Bandit - I've never been fond of Suzukis, not sure why. I've heard lots of bad things about them and rust... |
Personally I'd avoid. 600's are cheap thrashers. They were built down to a price, and they dont have the finish and yest they do rust. Main worry though is that so many are bought for the looks & cudos by people that cant really afford to look after them, and spend their money on shiney bits and loud bits rather than important bits! 1200's aren't much better!
| Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: | Yamaha TDM900 - Doesn't look too special, but I'm sure would handle the job competently |
The press dubbed it the TeDiuM when it was new..... (& the 850).
Great bike, just didn't capture the imagination. BUT find a god-one, they CAN be a hoot, and easy to live with. Worth sticking on the hit-list, if one comes along in the right condition at the right price.
| Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: | Pan - Looks a little large in terms of size and weight. |
Dont let the looks fool you. Theres a VERY good reason that this is teh choice of Instructors, Coppers, AA-Patrol men & other 'proffesional' riders.... They 'Do the Job'
Very comfy, soft, easy riding, and tough as nails, they are the Japanese BMW, and the CofG curtecy of the V-motor is just as low. they ARE a manageable bike. Just very NOT sporting!
| Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: | Dullville - Looks a little dull.... |
I think you would HATE one if you got one. Useful bike, but I think you'd expect more from your motorcycle than this thing could deliver. You would find the power interesting at first, but very soon it would just fail to inspire.
| Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: | So, off to look at VFRs  |
Plenty about, and not a bad choice, and IF its what gells and what fits, worth what it will cost you. BUT if you are going looking for a Viffer..... up your budget, get a REALLY good one, and look after it.
Given your inclings, I think you HAVE to go try other bikes suggested to be sure, but I think this is what you will plump for.....
So if compromises have to be made, compromise the cash..... find the money and get the bike you want, and that WILL do the job for you. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WD Forte |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WD Forte World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Jun 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooty Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:29 - 23 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| WD Forte wrote: | Dont be embarrased by turning up on a CG125 |
| Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: | After my CG125 being written off by the local scum trying to nick it |
WD Forte, I'd love to, but don't have access to a bike. Been asking the advice of friends that ride, but they're generally all normal sized, so not much help there. I think that this thread has made me realise I should just buy something that is suitable for the job, regardless of looks or cool.
| Teflon-Mike wrote: |
| Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: |
So, off to look at VFRs |
Plenty about, and not a bad choice, and IF its what gells and what fits, worth what it will cost you. BUT if you are going looking for a Viffer..... up your budget, get a REALLY good one, and look after it. |
Yes, I agree with you that I need to spend more money on a VFR  ____________________ Current Bike: 2018 Honda CRF250L
Ex-Bikes: 2002 Honda CG125, 1998 Honda VFR800, 2011 Honda CBR600F, 2013 Triumph Sprint GT SE, 2015 Kawasaki ZX10R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:03 - 23 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Scooty_Puff_Jnr wrote: | Yes, I agree with you that I need to spend more money on a VFR  |
End of the day we dont do something as daft as ride bikes becouse its 'sensible', we do it 'cos its fun.
The VFR is a great all-rounder, will do the job you want AND put the smile on your face which is what its all about.
So its GOT to be worth the time and money to find the RIGHT bike.
One thats in good nick, looks good, works good, does what its supposed to.
Its NOT going to be the cheapest bike for the job, but you KNOW that and are prepared to pay the premium... just make sure you DO keep on top of oil changes, tyres, & servicing, to keep it tip-top.
And ENJOY!
Penny-Pinch and there will ALWAYS be somthing thats just 'not quite' all it could have been.
Best of luck with the hunt...... take your time, get a good'n! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stuartadair |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stuartadair Crazy Courier

Joined: 15 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:06 - 24 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hiya,
I've been riding a Suzuki GSX500 recently which was a real struggle as it was slightly too small.
I've got a ZZR400 which is a perfect fit and I'm 6ft 4 and weight...well lets just say its a lot  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Louise |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Louise World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 May 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:52 - 24 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
My old boss rides the VFR - he is 6'1 and fits him nicely.
Nice bike, fits him well and he loves it....
he also has a huge beer belly
Not saying you have of course  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Adamantis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Adamantis Scooby Slapper

Joined: 20 Oct 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:54 - 24 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you wanted to have a sit on a t'cat, and you're not -too- far from sw London, you can have a sit on mine.
I love my Cat  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chillyman0 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chillyman0 Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:44 - 24 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
well im 6'3 and around 19 stone and ive just bought a vfr750 (much better looking than the 800's if you ask me) and it suits me great, from what i've read aviod the non- vetec 800's as they have less go than the 750's, the vetecs are probs out of your price range so get a mint 750 like mine for £1700 ish  ____________________ preivious : 2007 Skyjet 125 (died), 1991 gsf400 (problems, rotting in garden)
1996 gsf600n (sold)
current : 1996 VFR750 for sale, PM for info! 2000 E1 ZX-9r |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|