Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Another "what bike" thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 24 Jun 2010    Post subject: Another "what bike" thread Reply with quote

Hey everyone, it's this thread again.

I've been riding for a year now on my Suzuki Marauder (GZ125), and I'm looking at taking (and passing) my test soon. I commute from SE London/Kent area to Islington daily, so fuel economy is fairly important.

What I really like is the CBF500... but would a 500 be a bit big for a new rider? Should I graduate up to a 250 first (YBR250 etc), or will I get bored quickly?

So many questions Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:00 - 25 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 500 is fine... it's what you'd be getting on if you were doing DAS with very little experience (I did CBT and one lesson on a 125 before moving on to an ER-5 for my DAS). While a 250 would be an improvement it wouldn't really be a huge leap forward.

The CB500 and CBF500 are good bikes, you won't have any complaints apart from perhaps getting bored as you gain experience on them. Some people swear by their 500s, though.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 25 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB500 is a fine first large mount. If you like the seating position of the Marauder then it might be worth looking at an LS650 Savage which has been around forever and does a fine job.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:29 - 25 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

250's would be good for fuel economy (would estimate 80mpg), whilst having a bit more poke for those NSL roads, if you face any on your commute. 125's are even better economy wise (which is why still ride one even though I have a full license), coming in at around 100mpg and they are the cheapest to tax. I think a 500 would give something in the region of 60mpg on fuel. Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 25 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
CB500 is a fine first large mount. If you like the seating position of the Marauder then it might be worth looking at an LS650 Savage which has been around forever and does a fine job.


I think I'm going to stay away from cruisers for a little while, although I find the very comfortable when it comes to sitting on a sports styled bike I feel squished, but I like the look. The CB500 looks shiny and thus satisfies my inner retard, and it looks comfy.

Just wish I knew someone who had one so I could sit on it to find out. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:42 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is. The CB500, like most of the commuter 500s had a bench seat so you can choose your own seating position rather than have it decided by the ergonomics of a 5'2 Japanese guy. Smile
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.48 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 49.33 Kb