Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hey Guys! Buying a CBR600.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 Jun 2010    Post subject: Hey Guys! Buying a CBR600. Reply with quote

Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster.
So I got into biking via my mate letting me have a go on his Suzuki Marauder 125 out in my cul-de-sac, now I'm buying a CBR600 tomorrow. She's gorgeous. Only 7000 miles on the clock too. Will post pictures when I get her!

I'm buying it on finance from a dealer in Wolverhampton (Stafford road if anyone knows it) for £2300. Spread over x amount of months.

Really looking forward to it! Reckon I'll be able to take her home tomorrow? Or will I have to wait until later in the week after whatever paperwork/etc has been sorted?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NewbRider15
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 01 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:04 - 20 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you even taken your test? Dont mean to be rude but there are many people that think they can just buy a bike and ride it and I'm sure you're not one of those people.
____________________
Now on - 1986 Kawasaki ZL400 Eliminator (33bhp restricted)
Own - 2009 Huatian HT50QT-25 Scooter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 20 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my full test. But I'm currently using aforementioned friends Marauder to gain some experience and then hopefully within a month or so will do a weeks worth of training and do my Mod 1&2.
Reason I'm buying the CBR600 is I ended up falling in love with it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

locked
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:46 - 20 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Marauder is a completly different riding style to the CBR.
My mother in law has one and its like an arm chair on wheels Laughing
I presume its the CBR600F?
____________________
on the look out for my next bike....
CBT Passed - 13/09/09 Theroy Passed - 19/12/09 Mod 1 Passed 04/05/10 Mod 2 Passed 14/05/10 - Free to ride ANYTHING!
Motorcycles are perfectly safe as long as you remember they're dangerous.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 20 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I can fully appreciate the fact it's a whole worlds difference.
It is indeed. '97 F3 Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 20 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good luck on your test!

I think i bought my bike before i did my mod 1 too Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 20 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!

When I first started thinking about biking I always thought 'I'll get a nice 125 to bimble along on, work up some NCB then progress'
Alas, it was not meant to go that way. I just fell in love with the CBR....Oh well Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hondapartsman
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 13 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 25 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed good luck to you, you'll need it. It seems so hard to get a license these days I'm glad I don't have to go through it all again, could never afford it. My main advice on getting a bike is to not think just about the cost of buying it but also the cost of maintaining or whether you can reduce that by doing a lot yourself, your competence in so doing. I come across so many who buy to their limit then when they need something to keep the bike as it should can not afford it. Granted I struggle myself but at least I'm a time served and fairly skilled bodger who can fix most things on the cheap and run 2-3 bikes at any one time so I have time to find something cheap to replace things with and still keep myself mobile. But then, of course, not everyone has spent all their life in the trade on low wages and have had to learn how to do that.
____________________
In the end all comes back to the beginning
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hondapartsman, as it stands my bike riding friend is a very competent home mechanic and my brother is training to be a professional mechanic. So between them and me, with my Haynes manual, we should have most bases covered. Cool

The CBR is being delivered Monday now! Had to wait for a cheque to clear, but now it has. Happy days.

Edit: I made a mistake, it's actually a '98 CBR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Willson
Traffic Copper



Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your tests young sir, I'm still attempting the mod 2. Theory and mod 1 are easy as pie Wink. If I can pass them I dare say anyone could!

Enjoy the CBR!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats expensive for for a 98 bike, but then again its a dealer i guess, sure you cant get a personal loan and buy private?

whatever you do enjoy the bike and post up pics Smile

good luck with your licence too! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late really, I ended up getting money from my bonds and paying it off like that. It's being delivered tomorrow so pictures will follow tomorrow night! Cool
Cheers, hopefully I'll pass first time round since I'm planning on doing an intensive training course beforehand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gfiandy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick word of warning for when you do pass your test:-

Lots of people recomend 600cc race reps like the CBR but the two people I know who had these both underestimated the power and got into trouble. One is a great story :- Having just pased his test a work friend bought a CBR 600 to commute to work into London on (Madness in the first place), he then got himself in the wrong lane at a set of lights and thought "this is a quick bike I'll just gun it a bit and pull over into the other lane". So as the lights changed he reved it to max torque (about 8K RPM) and dropped the clutch because that is what you would do in a car. Needless to say the CBR600 stood up on its back wheel and shot off like a bat out of hell. It came up so fast that the tank hit him in the face hard enough that he passed out for about 5 seconds (he thinks) when he regained his senses the bike was still on its back wheel doing about 100MPH (again he thinks as you don't look at the clocks in this situation). The rest of the traffic is miles behind him and he is rapidly heading for the back of a car. He cuts the power recovers the bike and potters to work white as a sheet. He sold the bike within a week.

My next door neighbour passed his test bought a CBR600 and whilst riding fast on a country road he crested a hill on power the front wheel just left the road and got into a tank slapper. Not knowing what to do he jumped off at about 60 or 70MPH (he recons it was doing about 100 when it started). He survived but didn't work for about 9 months and is full of metal pins having broken his legs and his pelvis. To confound the madness once he recovered he got another CBR on the insurance.

So please be carefull, both these people were over confident and unlucky. It sounds like you are more sensible but power can catch you out. I almost did the same thing on a friends Daytona 595 it was race tuned and a bit of a beast. I took it out as he was storing it in my garage and it needed a run. I was riding fast but not recklessly when it just started spitting with rain, I should have slowed down. I hit a bump in the road on power the front wheel skipped and put it into a full on tank slapper doing about 60MPH heading towards a corner. I let the bars go and watched as the flapped back and forth, the bike slowed down and the corner approached. I looked up at a car comming the other way, the drivers face was a picture as he saw my bike with the bars flapping and me sitting watching them. Just before the corner they slowed enough that I could catch them, settle the bike, brake hard for a split second, release the brake and take the corner. I was lucky! (I also had some time on a race trak so had some idea what to do)

So please be carefull with that CBR its a hell of alot of power and quick handling hence has the possiblity of going into a tank slapper. Two things you can do to reduse the risk here, first of all ride well within your limits and build up experience slowly. Second make sure the front tyre is in good condition as when they ware the bike is more likely to go into a tank slapper. You could also consider a steering damper.

Best of luck with the test.

Andrew
____________________
ANDY
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hondapartsman
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 13 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benson_JV wrote:
Thanks Hondapartsman, as it stands my bike riding friend is a very competent home mechanic and my brother is training to be a professional mechanic. So between them and me, with my Haynes manual, we should have most bases covered. Cool

The CBR is being delivered Monday now! Had to wait for a cheque to clear, but now it has. Happy days.

Edit: I made a mistake, it's actually a '98 CBR


Okay, CBR's are good bikes, I mean I ought not to have been persuading you to go for a Yamaha, my boss wasn't happy when I got one but then if he paid me better I might have got a Triumph instead. Take it easy when you get going, just remember, they really all are out to get you, even if they don't realise it.
____________________
In the end all comes back to the beginning
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:31 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Hey Guys! Buying a CBR600. Reply with quote

Benson_JV wrote:

I'm buying it on finance from a dealer in Wolverhampton (Stafford road if anyone knows it) for £2300. Spread over x amount of months.


bloody hell thats an expensive F3!

id expect to may that for an FX/Y (alloy frame bumped the price up a lot) or early F4i but not for an F3

for reference i bought my 2 CBR600 F3s for £1210 and £1350, ok privately and with more likes on the clocks (20k ish) but still..

i hope its mint for that money m8y!

good luck with the test and enjoy the cbr, great bikes Smile
____________________
CBR954RR - Daily toy
CBR600RR - Trackbike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked it over, pretty mint by the looks of things. Plus only 7000 miles on the clock Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go!
Had a blast on it in my cul-de-sac, an absolute riot. The acceleration difference to the Marauder 125 is immense, yet at the same time, if you treat the throttle with respect you can get even better slow control.

https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/608/dsc00132qr.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice buy i agree for '98 its alot.

I probably paid a bit too much for my near perfect 2000 SV650s... it had about 5k on the clock, and i paid £2200 for it with restriction (Which would cost 200 on its own)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

L4Isoside wrote:
Nice buy i agree for '98 its alot.

I probably paid a bit too much for my near perfect 2000 SV650s... it had about 5k on the clock, and i paid £2200 for it with restriction (Which would cost 200 on its own)

I paid £2450 for a 2005 SV650S with 6k on the clock restricted. Shocked.
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:
L4Isoside wrote:
Nice buy i agree for '98 its alot.

I probably paid a bit too much for my near perfect 2000 SV650s... it had about 5k on the clock, and i paid £2200 for it with restriction (Which would cost 200 on its own)

I paid £2450 for a 2005 SV650S with 6k on the clock restricted. Shocked.


Ye like i said, i probably paid too much.

But i was searching for ages, and couldnt find much else.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.85 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 110.4 Kb