Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


RS125 without loser plates, what's the story?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:42 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: RS125 without loser plates, what's the story? Reply with quote

I must admit that if I were half my age again and could buy a bike to ride, the little RS would be up there.

Being a semi old fart now with the Truimph matching my salt and pepper colouring to my hair I could have one of these beasties unrestricted.

Plenty of 'claims' of what they can do but with the compulsory power band jokes I'm left confused as to which is it's full potential. They ate supposed to handle like on rails?

Is it, or any 2t for that matter, an every day bike? What sort of miles or riding could be achieved on it? The only 2t I had before was a 100cc scooter, no real dramas as long as the oil tank was topped up with quality oil and warmed before riding.

What's the biggest enemy to it? Cold, rain, blistering temps, inactivity or overcuse?

Any good years or is the 2010 up at the top of the list?
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:50 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding the RG125 around with no L plates, especially with a pillion I got pulled over almost every time I went out - even though I had a full licence. I guess the RS would be the same.
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:52 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:
Riding the RG125 around with no L plates, especially with a pillion I got pulled over almost every time I went out - even though I had a full licence. I guess the RS would be the same.


Ahhh, the love handles and squishy arse would not say teenager though.

Laughing

You do have a point though about being centre of attention for the boys in blue.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:54 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: RS125 without loser plates, what's the story? Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
I must admit that if I were half my age again and could buy a bike to ride, the little RS would be up there.

Being a semi old fart now with the Truimph matching my salt and pepper colouring to my hair I could have one of these beasties unrestricted.

Plenty of 'claims' of what they can do but with the compulsory power band jokes I'm left confused as to which is it's full potential. They ate supposed to handle like on rails?

Is it, or any 2t for that matter, an every day bike? What sort of miles or riding could be achieved on it? The only 2t I had before was a 100cc scooter, no real dramas as long as the oil tank was topped up with quality oil and warmed before riding.

What's the biggest enemy to it? Cold, rain, blistering temps, inactivity or overcuse?

Any good years or is the 2010 up at the top of the list?


I would vote against getting an RS125 as an everyday bike.

I have ridden an older unrestricted model, and I was very impressed by the acceleration. It was really light and felt quite sharp.

I would say the biggest enemy to them is the owners. Most have been owned by at least one inexperienced newbie and have been abused. As they are quite tuned, they don't take the inexperienced newbies' abuse very well.

Nothing wrong with owning a 125 without LEARNER plates. Go with an RS250 if you can, but they cost quite a bit more. Probably more likely to have been maintained a bit better than the 125 also.

tbh though I wouldn't have either as an only bike. I would LOVE to have an RS250, but it'd be more of a summer play thing than transport to me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:10 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

never owned a rs125
but i have a coup[le if old kh125's
different kettle of fish i know, but the little 125 is a great commuter and does 70-80 no bother,
i don't know if having a more highly strung 125 would be a good idea,
the rgv250 i owned when i got my learners was great, i used that every day untill i got my full licence, with out any breakdowns or major mishap,

it was pretty easy to live with Thumbs Up

face it your too long in the tooth to be on a racey 125 smokey
Mr. Green the old body isnt up to being squished into small uncomfortable positions anymore Wink
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:18 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: RS125 without loser plates, what's the story? Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:


Any good years or is the 2010 up at the top of the list?



Kickstart's the resident RS125 pro. I believe the mid nineties bikes had the best engine before they started getting strangled by different CDIs and exhausts for the emissions/noise.

I'd steer clear of the "pointy" 2006 onwards model myself. It has a cat in the highly restrictive exhaust!

Personally I'd go for a 2004 Pogialli rep(and sort the CDI out), but that's just because that was my favourite shape, and the pre year 2000 shape doesn't do it for me.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20B/Aprilia%20RS%20125%20Poggiali.jpg

Yum.

https://www.sportbikez.net/bikepics/115/medium/1156348544.jpg

eww.

Thumbs Up
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:43 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: RS125 without loser plates, what's the story? Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:


I'd steer clear of the "pointy" 2006 onwards model myself. It has a cat in the highly restrictive exhaust!



I believe the restrictions became alot tougher in 2007. The 2006 "pointy" models are fairly untouched by silly EU laws

I really rate the RS125. Its nippy as and can outrun pretty much anything in traffic. I have had an indicated 100 from mine and through the tight twisties it is immense fun. I'm on a litre bike now and often wish I was back on my RS125.

https://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4264/mybike1.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ollieholt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:16 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always fancied the rs250 as a second bike but wouldnt use it as a daily hack, too much faffing about at service time, new barrels and pistons every 6k would get boring lol the 125 does handle very well though, very well indeed. so light and chuckable.
____________________
Laughing < This? Well this is just a day brightner.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The earlier the bike the better in terms of power (and personally the early ones look the best, although the current ones are a close 2nd). Larger carbs, decent exhaust and simple ignition with no engineered in flat spot. Probably the best you can get is the RS125SP, but they are quite rare (they have adjustable suspension, a kick start and Marchesini wheels). The build quality on the early ones also seems better, but that might be more down to how many were sold then compared to how many of the later ones there were around being ridden into the ground.

I haven't been pulled up on the RS, but I have been pulled up on an AF1 on the motorway (and that looks less like a 125).

Not done any really long journies. About 150 miles each way (weekend away) is the most and the bike was fine for that.

Indicated best top speed I have had from mine is 185kmh / 120mph. Probably says more about the speedo accuracy. Will carry a pillion OK, but if you do then don't hang a U lock between the pillion pegs.

Top end of the engine is easy to do. Bottom end means dropping the engine out which is a bit of a pain.

Rear shocks can be short lived. Not a problem when they used to be dirt cheap from Aprilia, but they aren't so cheap now.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 with what Big Ham said. My W reg had Poggiali panels which where erm less than mint Laughing

I never got to ride my but since I sold it I wish I could have one again as a second bike maybe.

The good thing is there are loads on Pistonheads for next to nothing!
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 242 days between these two posts...

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 28 Feb 2011    Post subject: Re: RS125 without loser plates, what's the story? Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
They ate supposed to handle like on rails?

You are thinking of an 'intercity 125' - not nearly as flickable as a RS125!

I haven't ridden any of the new shape ones, but I always found the older ones (ie 'chesterfield', etc) to be a bit spongier than I'd like, including the two RS250s I owned.

Unfortunately the 250s are going up in value a tad, as I'd like to have another one Sad.

Plenty of people do use them for daily bikes, but I'd find it frustrating having tasted the greener grass of more power/flexibility.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 28 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
whats them suzuki rg125's like ? they look better than the rs imo

which one?
the older (pre 92) gamma, small basic, reliable & extremely easy & cheap to work on.
no complicated pv's etc, but still good for an indicated 90mph, but be warned they are VERY small..
the later version? completely different bike. fragile pv's, bigger & far more desireable. unfortunately theres a lot of dogs around.
try & get one in the original colour scheme.
can keep up with the later 2t replicas, up to a point. (which most riders wont even notice)
if i had to rank 2t race replica 125's in terms of speed,acceleration,power,desirability, looks etc, the later rg would be up beside the the mito & rs.
back to the original question, by the op, i have a full licence, im in my 40's & regularly commute on my rs125 & mk2 mito.
its only about 15miles either way though, because any further & fuel consumtion might become an issue.(with the 34/35mm carbs fitted im lucky to get 30mpg!)
but you soon forget about that when you can reach speeds of over 100mph (on private roads of course)on a bike which weighs next to nothing, stops very well & handles the road like a bigger "proper" sports replica.
never been pulled by police, even when carrying a pillion, although my rs doesnt actually have any 125 decals anywhere...........
i think the mito does though............
tbh, i prefer the mito over the rs, marginally, simply because its a better bike. although the 7 speed gearbox takes a bit of work.
any info needed on any of these bikes is available on 125cc sbs. (a forum of whose members are laregly made of c*nt, idiots & teenage wannabees, however there are a few notable exceptions- especially in the mito sub-section)
cheers,
GAZ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 28 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Ahhh, the love handles and squishy arse would not say teenager though.

Have you seen today's teenagers? Their dress size seems to be the same as their IQ.
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 28 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
arr right,seen quite a few of the later ones about,but very cheap lol

there are always plenty of the later rg's (fun,wolfs etc) about, pity most of them are f*cked.
always wanted to do a full on tune/bbk with one, but it'd just have to be the black one... or the original blue n white one....
pity the pv parts are made of cheese.
cheers,
GAZ
https://www.suzukicycles.org/RG-series/RG125-Gamma.shtml
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 28 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double fail.

Last edited by pits on 20:20 - 28 Feb 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 28 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:


did they really have 33hp ? sounds a bit like every ebay add for the rs

Some of the early ones supposedly did, but realistically it is more 27bhp unrestricted in good working order, mine if unrestricted would probably hit around 27bhp or so (fresh rebuild and just about new everything including carb)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.49 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 113.39 Kb