Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


RXS fork springs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Carvel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 05 Jul 2010    Post subject: RXS fork springs Reply with quote

Just a quickie, does anyone (cows) know if and if so where I can get a new set of fork springs for my RXS as it's all getting a bit soft upfront Shifty.

ta

Ollie.
____________________
2002 Aprilia RSV1000R, Cbr600Fs, Mk1 B12, Vfr400 NC30...

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paddy Blake
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:42 - 06 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find it here.
https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/
Type in what the bike is called in the log log book.
If you cant get them then put some spacers in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:00 - 06 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far as I know it's not possible to buy replacement springs for the RXS, other than ordering via a Yam dealer to have them sent from Japan (and they'd be ridiculously expensive).

It's more likely you just need to change the oil. Standard RXS forks are a bit slack at the best of times. They have short springs and long spacers. I replaced mine with longer springs and did away with the spacers. Not sure if they were standard but the ones I used came out of a crashed RD125 twin and are a large improvement over the originals.

If you do change the oil, would recommend using 20w.

Be warned - getting the RXS fork tops undone can be a challenging experience, to say the least Shocked
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carvel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 06 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply Paddy. They dont have any unfortunatly.
Didn't think of spacers might try that. Thumbs Up
Quote:
Far as I know it's not possible to buy replacement springs for the RXS, other than ordering via a Yam dealer to have them sent from Japan (and they'd be ridiculously expensive).

Bugger.

Im in the process of changing my fork seals atm (Fork tops came off easier than expected Cool ). Stripped one of the forks down and the seals and top of the fork leg were corroded to fuck. Took a fookin age to get the old seal out and it was a right biatch getting the new one in. Are they meant to be that hard to put in? Im a bit worried they're just going to leak again. We'll have to wait and see

Quote:
would recommend using 20w.

Cheers for tip, I was thinking of putting a thicker oil in.

Also I snapped two of the mudguard bolts off
Arse, I hate drilling bolts out.
____________________
2002 Aprilia RSV1000R, Cbr600Fs, Mk1 B12, Vfr400 NC30...

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 06 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork seals can be a total bastard to get out if the white corrosion has set in and bubbled the lacquer. Ideally you should carefully sand out the seal seat before drifting the new ones in with a (think I use a 30mm) socket. But I doubt the new ones will leak - they're pretty tough.

It's extremely common for the mudguard bolts to seize in. Sometimes attempting to get them undone results in the whole thread part of the fork breaking away. I always use stainless socket caps, with washers, and the threads coated with copper grease to overcome the problem:

https://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/Funkdooby_album/Dscf0532.jpg
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carvel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 06 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Ideally you should carefully sand out the seal seat before drifting the new ones in with a (think I use a 30mm) socket.

Thats exactly what I did.
The left hand fork was rusty and was a bastard to get the seal in and out of. but the right hand fork was absolutly fine.
Quote:
It's extremely common for the mudguard bolts to seize in. Sometimes attempting to get them undone results in the whole thread part of the fork breaking away. I always use stainless socket caps, with washers, and the threads coated with copper grease to overcome the problem.

Cheers for that I'll give some of those a try.

Much appreciated Thumbs Up
____________________
2002 Aprilia RSV1000R, Cbr600Fs, Mk1 B12, Vfr400 NC30...

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.37 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 50.04 Kb