Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


A what who?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:20 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: A what who? Reply with quote

What is an HDMI cable, and why do I need one?

I just want a 32" telly to hang on the wall, reasonably cheap, with HD readyness, whatever the fuck that is.

I hardly ever watch telly.
But I want one there anyway, in case I decide I do.

Why do I have to buy a cable to go with it?

clicky of the sort of telly I might get for the sort of price (or less) I might want to pay
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont unless you want to watch Hi Deff DVDs, If you get sky+ you will get a cable free with the box.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still can't resist the urge to buy one, just buy the cheapest, don't be fooled into buying a blingin' gold thing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
If you still can't resist the urge to buy one, just buy the cheapest, don't be fooled into buying a blingin' gold thing.


This ^. Think mine were £9.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asda sell HDMI cables for like £3. I think i saw one in their bargain bin for 75p the other day.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see.

Well, I wasn't planning to watch Hi Def videos any time real soon, and I wasn't planning on coughing out (what?) £45 a month to have Sky Plus and not watch that *either*

Pointless shelling out for something I don't use, if I was going to watch rugby on Sky, I'd go the pub.

I'm not even paying for a TV licence at present, cos I don't have a working telly at all.

I spend more time on the net and watching bbc iPlayer anyway. But its nice to schnuggle up with the fella when he's around and be easily amused, instead of having to be the entertainment myself, all the time.

So I am only ever likely to want to watch the five terrestrials and/or plug in my freeview box and attach an indoor aerial (landlords have still not fixed me outdoor aerial, wankers).

So I can't see why I would want some fancy goldplated doo-dah anyhow.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what your putting on the TV. If your just going to use it to watch freeview or stuff on then you don't need one. If your going to be watching bluray or HD stuff then you need one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your laptop has a HDMI out socket then you can get an extra long one and hook it up to the tv for your iplayer. Oh and sky will do you a deal for £19 with the HD box but not worth the bother as like you i dont tv much but the wife needs her soap fix Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Re: A what who? Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
What is an HDMI cable, and why do I need one?

I just want a 32" telly to hang on the wall, reasonably cheap, with HD readyness, whatever the fuck that is.

I hardly ever watch telly.
But I want one there anyway, in case I decide I do.

Why do I have to buy a cable to go with it?

clicky of the sort of telly I might get for the sort of price (or less) I might want to pay
I've got one of those tvs and I like it. I just plugged it into my normal old fashioned arial lead and got lots of freeview channels crsytal clear.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The View Askew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you old people are backward. Laughing

You only need one if you have a hd source, like sky hd, a games console or blu ray player for example.

What you are using it for just wants to use the cables your old Telly uses.

Get a flat LCD non hd Telly for peanuts and it will do for you everything an hd one would, as you are not giving it hd signal, it doesn't need to be hd ready.
____________________
"Do what you always did, get what you always got"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 29 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul_Trader wrote:
Damn you old people are backward. Laughing

You only need one if you have a hd source, like sky hd, a games console or blu ray player for example.

What you are using it for just wants to use the cables your old Telly uses.

Get a flat LCD non hd Telly for peanuts and it will do for you everything an hd one would, as you are not giving it hd signal, it doesn't need to be hd ready.


It is all about willy waving mate. Just so you can say "I have a" Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Inkognito
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:50 - 29 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i read something the other day about tv licence.
If you use bbc iplayer to watch or record programs live you need the tv licence Smile

So make sure you only watch programs that's already aired lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 29 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoSock wrote:
I think i read something the other day about tv licence.
If you use bbc iplayer to watch or record programs live you need the tv licence Smile

So make sure you only watch programs that's already aired lol


Yeah I already do that.

Nothing (not even Eastenders) is so urgent anymore that I have to watch it "live".

Except, as mentioned above, rugby.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 29 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

1888 wrote:
If your laptop has a HDMI out socket then you can get an extra long one and hook it up to the tv for your iplayer. Oh and sky will do you a deal for £19 with the HD box but not worth the bother as like you i dont tv much but the wife needs her soap fix Very Happy


My PC (which already has a 23" screen) has all sorts of whistles and bells on it that I never use. It almost certainly has a HDMI out socket. I bought it less than 2 years ago.

But I understand some of "these modern newfangled tellies" ...

*glares at Soultrader*

... have got Freeview already installed in them?

I haven't got an outdoor aerial.

I still have the surround sound speakers plumbed into the carpet from the original old telly, though. Bloody annoying.

Well, thanks for your learned input, guys.
I might buy one.

Or maybe I'll stick to watching iplayers on the computer instead.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 31 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play on my xbox on my full hd 1080 ready with scart connection haha.

Once I got a HDMI for like £2.50 the change was incredible, even the picture from freeview looks good Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.75 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 85.96 Kb