Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


0 accidents to 2 in a month...updated pics on page 2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dannyw35
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: 0 accidents to 2 in a month...updated pics on page 2 Reply with quote

Just got back home from my second bike accident...

Was on a round about next to a car on his right...he was in the left lane positioned to go straight over...decides at the last minute just before going straight that he wants to go right...cue me trying to brake like hell but ended up clipping the corner of his car causing me to go down.

Bikes pretty fooked seeing as it hadn't been repaired from my first incident...all the damage to my LHS from my first spill has just been greatly enhanced so to speak...however there's loads more scratches etc and my mid fairings are now royally fooked (they were fine before)

Managed to break a few mounts where the fairing bolts have ripped off...also managed to break the mount for my nose cone so that's now shaking like mad...

To make matters worse it was a foreigner in a hire car...when I say foreigner, he was on his way to the airport for a flight home...cue him giving his details to the hire car company and then fooking off to catch his flight...

Police were called but seeing as the other driver left I said I would go report it in the morning in person...

So am I screwed liability wise...I heard accidents on RA nearly always go 50/50...

Picked up a few battle scars but just scratches and bruises...luckily...

Also seeing as alot of the same parts were damaged from the first accident, do these still just get replaced as they would if I didn't have a second spill?

Maybe time to give up on the 2 wheels...seeing as i'm newly married I don't think leaving Yun a widow is a good idea!
____________________
CBT - 13/01/08 -> Theory 18/01/08 -> Honda Accord Type R sold 02/02/08 -> DAS 19/02/08
-> CBR 600FS 20/02/08


Last edited by dannyw35 on 12:00 - 04 Sep 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: 0 accidents to 2 in a month...time to quit? Reply with quote

dannyw35 wrote:
...I don't think leaving Yun a widow is a good idea!


I think the rest of us will beg to differ.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: 0 accidents to 2 in a month...time to quit? Reply with quote

Without the driver being there to give his side of the story, I don't think that would be a hard case to win. Hire Car companies will usually just admit liability and the man hiring the car will have to pay his excess. They can't really be bothered with the stress of going through insurance companies, so they will usually just admit the driver was in the wrong, and you will most likely get paid out!

I know this, as I own a hire car company Wink
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: 0 accidents to 2 in a month...time to quit? Reply with quote

dannyw35 wrote:
So am I screwed liability wise...I heard accidents on RA nearly always go 50/50...


Not neccessarily. We were in our car, on one of the many roundabouts on the A43, making exactly the same manoeuvre as I think you're describing, i.e. we were in the right hand lane of the DC approaching the roundabout to go straight across (into the RH lane) and there was a woman in the left lane, which should only go left or straight across (into the LH lane). Right at the point of no return she turned right, into the side of our car.

It took a few phone calls, photographs and a diagram or two but eventually her insurers paid out 100% of the claim.

Stick with it. You might get told initially that it's 50-50 but get the legal cover bods onto it. That's what they're for.

For the record, we had no witnesses at all either.

Good luck with the claim and don't give up on the biking through some other idiot's fault. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dannyw35
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:42 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: 0 accidents to 2 in a month...time to quit? Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
dannyw35 wrote:
...I don't think leaving Yun a widow is a good idea!


I think the rest of us will beg to differ.


That's I meant...not a good idea knowing what you bcf'ers are like
Laughing

[quote="samJL"]
dannyw35 wrote:
Without the driver being there to give his side of the story, I don't think that would be a hard case to win. Hire Car companies will usually just admit liability and the man hiring the car will have to pay his excess. They can't really be bothered with the stress of going through insurance companies, so they will usually just admit the driver was in the wrong, and you will most likely get paid out!

I know this, as I own a hire car company


Good to know - thanks

Although I did get that impression from the lady from the hire company...she basically said just claim off him and we'll charge it to his account Smile

On the incident report he wrote he was passing the roundabout slowly and I just decided to crash into the back of him...and he wrote he thinks its my fault...the loser!

Nice to see he leave out the part of sudden change of direction!!

Another parallel claim to sort out now...oh the joy...although now the bikes un-rideable so its back to the bloody tube until this gets sorted too...fingers crossed
____________________
CBT - 13/01/08 -> Theory 18/01/08 -> Honda Accord Type R sold 02/02/08 -> DAS 19/02/08
-> CBR 600FS 20/02/08
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dannyw35
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: 0 accidents to 2 in a month...time to quit? Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:


Not neccessarily. We were in our car, on one of the many roundabouts on the A43, making exactly the same manoeuvre as I think you're describing, i.e. we were in the right hand lane of the DC approaching the roundabout to go straight across (into the RH lane) and there was a woman in the left lane, which should only go left or straight across (into the LH lane). Right at the point of no return she turned right, into the side of our car.


Yep pretty much exactly the same situation...2 lanes in, 2 lanes out straight on...but he thought why go to the next roundabout and turn around...lets just cause an accident instead Rolling Eyes

Don't worry I will persevere with this one...and will have to quit biking for a little while until the bike gets sorted...

I got a feeling in that time I will soon realise how much I hate public transport and be back on 2 wheels in no time...I hope
____________________
CBT - 13/01/08 -> Theory 18/01/08 -> Honda Accord Type R sold 02/02/08 -> DAS 19/02/08
-> CBR 600FS 20/02/08
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the spills but since they werent your fault I see no reason to hang the helmet up.

https://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/127/714/549/oNlf.jpg
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man up!

You walked away from the crash, therefore it was just a lesson in phyics!*



*YMMV as I'm virtually immortal
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.


Last edited by Itchy on 21:08 - 02 Sep 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Sorry to hear about the spills but since they werent your fault I see no reason to hang the helmet up.

https://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/127/714/549/oNlf.jpg


This +1
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

connornrg
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt walk away from my crash mate but rest assured i will be back riding in two months which is when i can walk again, no reason to hang up
____________________
Bikes (Not Bikes Really Just Shitty Mopeds)
**04 - Piaggio NRG MC3**02 - Yamaha Aerox 50/100**07 - Piaggio NRG Power - Shit.**
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yun will dig scars.
Cracked ribs
Compound fractures.
Damaged joints.
Amputations.
Internal injuries.
Brain damage.
Man up, it is only pain.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2wheelsteve
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate if you feel its time to take a break from riding then good luck to you, sometimes we have bad runs and if Im having a shitty day near misses wise, then I go and take the car.
No shame in quitting for a while if youve got a bad feeling but either way good luck mate and enjoy your newly married life Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
Ride Safe
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

woll
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBF you should of stayed on the floor crying for an ambulance, whiplash bad back anything. Just to get the ambulance, and therefore the coppers to assess the situation. And if he went, he'd get done for leaving the scene of an accident making him look more like he's in the wrong.
____________________
Current Bike- Suzuki DRZ400 SM K6
Previous bikes - Derbi Senda Xtreme50r, Honda CBR 125, Kawasaki ZZR 250, Yamaha DT125R, Suzuki Bandit 600, Gas gas ec 250, Honda CBR600FW
Damaged spleen, damaged kindey, 2 popped lungs, 2 broken ribs, broken face, broken wrist and 5 back fractures... remember kids walls hurt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flumpy7
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 31 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very few problems on the road. Im not saying im an amazing rider but i do approach every trip with the attitude that every fucker car driver is deliberately out to squish my ass. Im sure alot of motorcycle accidents happen because the motorcyclist innocently assumed that the fat twat in the range rover was looking where he was going.
____________________
2012 Sinnis apache
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dannyw35
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Sorry to hear about the spills but since they werent your fault I see no reason to hang the helmet up.


Quote:
Hey mate if you feel its time to take a break from riding then good luck to you, sometimes we have bad runs and if Im having a shitty day near misses wise, then I go and take the car.
No shame in quitting for a while if youve got a bad feeling but either way good luck mate and enjoy your newly married life


Yep its true - I don't feel the accidents were my fault but its the age old...what if...if I quite while i'm still ahead I remove that risk...

But yeah the fact the bike is now out of action gives me some time to reflect on the whats happened over the past month...it will probably do me some good...

Quote:

TBF you should of stayed on the floor crying for an ambulance, whiplash bad back anything. Just to get the ambulance, and therefore the coppers to assess the situation. And if he went, he'd get done for leaving the scene of an accident making him look more like he's in the wrong


I tried this one...the accident was reported given I had a few injuries...no police for over an hour...by that time the man had got on the plane and gone...so didn't really have much choice...

I was left on my own so thought it best I get home in one piece...one foot peg missing and all and will go to the station to report it in the morning...

Don't get me wrong...I love biking...what doesn't kill me I'll learn from...but 2 in one month...
Shocked
____________________
CBT - 13/01/08 -> Theory 18/01/08 -> Honda Accord Type R sold 02/02/08 -> DAS 19/02/08
-> CBR 600FS 20/02/08
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

YUN
Traffic Copper



Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've convinced Danny that he's a shizzy ass rider....and he has agreed to go pillion from now on.

Who wears the trousers?
mwhahahhaha
Mr. Green Thumbs Up
____________________
Meet the team that will win, Blade, Razor, Blazer and my personal assistant, Michelle and from Romanovia - Fran Stalinovskovichdavidovitchsky
~ * CBT - 13/01/08 --> Theory 24/05/08 --> Squished by lorries, brand new CBR125(2000miles) write-off 04/06/06 --> DAS booked 02-04/08/08 * --> DAS passed 05/08/08 * --> VFR400 (aka 'Mike') ~
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: 0 accidents to 2 in a month...time to quit? Reply with quote

SamJL wrote:

I know this, as I own a hire car company Wink


[offtopic]Ah thanks for the idea Laughing (been trying to think of company's I could start up Laughing)[/offtopic]

Sucks to hear of it, but i dont think you should quit, shit happens.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 02 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get back on.
Fight for the insurance.

I lost my nerve for two years after a tiny little spill, even though I got straight back on and rode home, believe me, giving up and being a pussy doesn't have a lot going for it. You're too young and vital to have any of the pussy about you (apart from ........................ hmmm, mebbe I best shut up there, no point setting this lot off, is there) Shocked

Law of averages says prolly those two offs are your lot for a bit, anyway.

Don't take any notice of idiots who say "Oh noes! these things come in threes" ... and if they do, and you get a third Off: get on with it and get back on.

Our Yun needs a man.
If you're gonna die, die in the saddle with your swords on.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:22 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Re: 0 accidents to 2 in a month...time to quit? Reply with quote

L4Isoside wrote:


[offtopic]Ah thanks for the idea Laughing (been trying to think of company's I could start up Laughing)[/offtopic]


Trust me, you don't want your own company, its more stress then its worth! I'm 25 and feel like I'm about 60 Laughing
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tsopo
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:54 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question to...well, anyone. When going straight over a roundabout like that described here, shouldn't you be in the left lane anyway? I always thought the inner lane on two lane roundabout was only for those turning right. There's always the risk that the guy on your left will decide to continue around the roundabout and not see you.

I only ask because I had a near miss in similar circumstances a while back and thought afterwards that had I been in the left lane, it wouldn't have happened.

The driver was still a muppet for not seeing you though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:33 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two lanes going in and two lanes going straight across then IMO you have every right to stay in lane 2 and exit in lane 2. Like so:

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/Fig1.jpg



Anybody in lane 1 should be turning left or if going straight on should be exiting in lane 1. Under no circumstances on a normal roundabout should a person in Lane 1 be turning right, exception that I can think of is below.

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/Fig2.jpg


Red is lane 1, blue is lane 2.

The roundabout in the second picture is a bit messed up since technically there is no legal way for cars to be entering it other than from the slip road I have shown. Have often come up the the roundabout and seen cars coming from my right and wondered what would happen if we had a crash, obviously I should give way to the right, but they shouldn't be on the roundabout in the first place. Not sure what comes first there.

Just to clarify this is what I mean.
https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/Fig3.jpg
Anybody know what would happen?


And more on topic, coming off is a pretty much guaranteed part of riding a bike, it's just something you come to accept I guess, personally I wouldn't let it put me off, but then I have been down the road more times in my 4 years on the road than my dad has been in the last 20 odd years, so don't listen to me Laughing



edit: been a bit stupid up there, if there are two lanes entering a roundabout, and the exit turning right is also two lanes BUT the exit straight ahead is only one lane, THEN somebody in Lane 1 could go all the way around the outside to turn right. I do that daily on the way to work, feel a bit stupid for forgetting!
Have to watch out for people in Lane 2 expecting you to be turning left or going straight as they may try and move over to exit in Lane 1.

Hope that makes sence Confused Either way none of this is based on any legal knowledge, just logic and a small dose of common sense.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2wheelsteve
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people can toss a coin and win while other lose, its just luck and a smart person when they are having back luck will cut there odds, simple really, I nearly gave up when my kids were yound there was a spate of fatalities near here and one I passed every morning the flowers said "goodbye daddy" that really got to me thinking how my kids would be affected, I didnt give up though but very nearly did and if I had decided to dump it no amount of "shizzy rider" comments would have swayed me, Smile Thumbs Up
____________________
Ride Safe
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBA to read the whole thread, but I had a similar spell of bad luck back in 2006.

Earned myself a custom title for all the trouble I went to throwing myself at the scenery and cars etc

Learn from the lessons, and get back on with it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dannyw35
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:46 - 03 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Two lanes going in and two lanes going straight across then IMO you have every right to stay in lane 2 and exit in lane 2. Like so:


Mine was like this one...although the roundabout was smaller...

Anyways been onto the phone to the insurers today.

The hire car company are disputing the claim... Thumbs Down

As he hit my front wheel with the side of his back bumper, the hire company was implying its a typical 'ran into the back' type of case.

Of course I won't take it lying down but I don't think this one will be ending well...

Can't believe it makes no difference that he crossed my path and caused the accident from his change of direction!!

If I didn't try avoiding the impact I would have ran into the side of him...its sad that if I did that instead I might have had more chance of him getting the blame.

Incidents been reported to the police due to my minor injuries...not that it will make much difference I don't think.

Anyone want to buy a busted R6!? I'm hoping my first accident will have most of the bits replaced seeing as it's mostly the same bits that were damaged again!
____________________
CBT - 13/01/08 -> Theory 18/01/08 -> Honda Accord Type R sold 02/02/08 -> DAS 19/02/08
-> CBR 600FS 20/02/08
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dannyw35
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 04 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics from my last accident...the only additional parts that wasn't already damaged from the first accident is the mid/lower fairing and nose cone mount...

Looking normal from the RHS:
https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/09/04/bikepics-2053255-800.jpg

LHS:
https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/09/04/bikepics-2053276-800.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/09/04/bikepics-2053279-800.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/09/04/bikepics-2053272-800.jpg

https://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/09/04/bikepics-2053283-800.jpg
____________________
CBT - 13/01/08 -> Theory 18/01/08 -> Honda Accord Type R sold 02/02/08 -> DAS 19/02/08
-> CBR 600FS 20/02/08
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.39 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 143.78 Kb