Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Better insurance quote?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Better insurance quote? Reply with quote

Hello!

Sorry for starting a thread that has been done 100's of times.

The company I'm with now for my bike insurance and my motor trade insurance have stopped doing bike insurance. They can get a trade policy with motorbike insurance on it, but then if anything happens I only get trade value for my bike, which I really don't want! I've looked Go-Compare, Confused, and The Bike Insurer, and up to now, the best quote I have is £855 Fully comp through the bike insurer. That was with KGM through Performance Direct.

My details are:

2009 CBR1000RR
25 Year old male
2 Years continuous riding
2 Years NCB
8 Years car NCB

So basically I just want to find a quote that is cheaper then £855 but don't know where to look Sad

Thanks, Sam
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RussG
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used quidco and swinton, i got a total of £57 off my quote, have a look Smile

But make sure you go through quidco's link!
____________________
Geek, father, biker
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people posted bad reviews about Bennets previously, but I had no problems with them in the past.
More recently I've switched to MCE insurance and had a noticeable drop in my premiums, even though I was swapping from a 1991 GPZ to a 2003 Bandit
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:54 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennetts want £1400 and MCE want £1760

Performance Direct are now £837, so working out by far the cheapest up to now!
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have used all the compare sites so unless there are some direct co's that don't feature then you have found the cheapest.
Only way here is get a bike mag and start phoning the names in the back..
Guess in the end you may spend even more £ to save a few £

Would echo the quidco usage. Karma

But when I did my last quote via a comparison site (used quidco there to get £1.50 Laughing ) I found that the cheapest was also on quidco. Bennets.
So off and did a direct quote..... Came back nearly double the compare quote....
So took the link via compare and saved a few bob Rolling Eyes
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT: kinda.
Well after getting 35(ish) quotes i have managed to shave £4 off.
Even adding a full thatcham..locked in a garage on an iceberg couldn't reduce it. Confused £68 comp with £0 vol £150 compul.
That's on a CB250.
Quote for my next bike which is worth 4x the value of the CB and is 3x more powerful is £100. Surprised

Good luck with the hunting Sam.

Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Tesco Bike insurance? I have found them to be a great compare website for me. Got FC for 225 for my R1 and I am only 3 years older than you Wink
____________________
Current bike - GSX-R1000 k8
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got bored of getting quotes and just went with Performance Direct!

Can't see me getting much cheaper anyway, £837 doesn't seem to bad. I was only paying £1000 last year though, at 24 years old, with onle 1 NCB, so I was expecting a serious drop in premium, but it seems its not such a serious drop! I can still get it on my trade policy but I really didn't want to only get trade value for the bike if it was stolen or written off!
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swiftb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike insurer tends to turn out the best quotes ive always found so your probably right in saying you wont get it much cheaper.
Its a lot but when you consider you only have 2yrs riding and the cost of replacing the bike is prob 7.5-8k plus it doesnt seem 'too' bad. I hate insurance and having to pay it and the fact its mainly a rip off, but from the brokers point of view - they would see a 25yr old with 2yrs riding, on a pretty much brand new/expensive powerful bike very risky. I suppose £800 odd quid to potentially replace a 7k plus bike aint so hard to take.
Probably another 2yrs riding and the cost would be half that so keep collecting those ncbs Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:38 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamJL wrote:
so I was expecting a serious drop in premium, but it seems its not such a serious drop!


Ins seems to have hiked their prices over the last few months.

To the point that even with 8 years NCB, clean licence, same car, my car policy was over 50% dearer. even when I found the cheapest quote I could.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bob007
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 07 Sep 2010    Post subject: insurance company Reply with quote

hi there
I am not sure I am on the good place but I need to try ......

My trouble I had a peddle bike and they stolen . I had insurance for my bike like 15-16 months .

I contact with my agent - its an only company - and they said they pay for me but just in credit . No first of all I checked my contract and also online there is not even a letter about this ! And I don't want , I want money just as I paid for my bike . Because that credit I can just use in the bikeshop .

PLease help if you have any idea or where should I try find solution for my problem .

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 07 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to re-new mine after Express Insurance cancelled on me after declaring my ban.

£300 TPF&T with 2 years NCB and the ban declared.

Bit gutting, was paying £300 FC before that and it went up to about £580 FC with the ban declared.

They did me a quote on an R1 at £600 TPF&T with the ban declared so I'm happy to stay with them if I sell the KTM in the following few months.

However, Express Insurance are now asking for £140 to settle my last policy, the utter, utter, cunts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 07 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Express Insurance want £1300 for the CBR Shocked

Performance Direct who I've gone with are still the cheapest. £837 FC, Commuting included, pillions, mod's declared, protected no claims!

The thing is, I will probably be PX'ing the bike within the next few months, so hopefully they will be cheap on other bikes as well!
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 07 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamJL wrote:
I got bored of getting quotes and just went with Performance Direct!

Can't see me getting much cheaper anyway, £837 doesn't seem to bad. I was only paying £1000 last year though, at 24 years old, with onle 1 NCB, so I was expecting a serious drop in premium, but it seems its not such a serious drop! I can still get it on my trade policy but I really didn't want to only get trade value for the bike if it was stolen or written off!


1 yr NCB is usually 30% - 35%discount
2Yr NCB is usually 40-45%. So the drop wouldn't have been massive. even factoring in turning 25
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.57 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 83.36 Kb