Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Recommendations for a Jacket and Trousers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mrjonesybop
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 15 Sep 2010    Post subject: Recommendations for a Jacket and Trousers Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am looking for an Enduro/touring suit to wear riding my R100GS.
The BMW 'Tosser' suit is really pricey, so I'm looking for alternatives.
Anything good out there? Or anything to avoid?



Cheers,

Jonesybop
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hockeystorm65
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 15 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I use an Akito Sierra Jacket:

https://www.akito.com/sierra.html

And Akito Desert Pants

https://www.akito.com/desertpants.html

Cost £160 for the pair but I think you can get them cheaper on e-bay. They zip together at the back and both have removable thermal linings and the pants also have removable waterproof layer. Both have served me well, kept me warm, dry and comfortable. All protectors are Knox and the positions are adjustable. Only thing is watch the sizing, Akito sizes are pretty small so try one size up to start with. Wink Laughing
____________________
Good judgement comes from experience.....experience comes from bad judgement!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mrjonesybop
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 15 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HS65!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use kit from Jofama

Good as Rukka but so much cheaper

https://www.jofama.se/motorcycle_wear/index.php?lang=2

My suit is the Targa trousers with the Optimal jacket... without the fluro bib!
____________________
Gaffer Tape is like The Force.

It has a dark side and a light side and holds the Universe together!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece - comes off and goes back on in well under a minute.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I like the Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece - comes off and goes back on in well under a minute.


The only prob with it is... breaks in hot weather. My stuff has the magic stuff in so that you don't get too hot in the summer, and the Outlast lining that keeps you cool.

It is a lot easier taking a jacket off during breaks , to do that with a Roadcrafter you have to be wearing another layer underneath. It all adds to the bulk affecting movement.

I usually just wear a top made from a wicking material and wicking material boxers with the sweat being sucked away by the breathable layers in the suit.

Often when touring in hot climates a two piece has more benefits than a one piece suit.
____________________
Gaffer Tape is like The Force.

It has a dark side and a light side and holds the Universe together!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road crafter actually has very good vents - think only my joe rocket is better for ventilation that I've used!

When I've worn it in hot climates, I've gone for shorts underneath.

If I'm wearing bike trousers in a hot climate I want them to be VERY easy to get off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
The road crafter actually has very good vents - think only my joe rocket is better for ventilation that I've used!

When I've worn it in hot climates, I've gone for shorts underneath.

If I'm wearing bike trousers in a hot climate I want them to be VERY easy to get off.


I was amazed at the Halversonns Targa for hot weather work... they have Cool Black or similar impregnated into the cloth and reflect UV.

Also they have leather panels on the inside of the legs to help grip and keep the engine heat off. I got stuck in traffic in Reims and was in full sun next a sign saying 37C while the bike was rapidly overheating... I was wearing my Belstaff Celsius and the Hein Gericke mesh gloves... my feet were steaming, I was steaming as the rest of the gear heated up in the sun, but I took my gloves off and the trousers were cool to the touch! Everything else you could fry eggs on!

Excellent venting , warm when it's cold cool when it's warm... also they have loads of adjusters so you can get them to fit how you want and less than 250 quid if you shop around.
____________________
Gaffer Tape is like The Force.

It has a dark side and a light side and holds the Universe together!


Last edited by Grazoid on 17:35 - 16 Sep 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Akito kit from me...
I've got two textile Akito jackets. Both with removeable pads, and thermal linings...
The Python2 kit that I bought for my CBT and DAS back in 2005. No longer completely waterproof, but really comfortable on long summer rides.
And a newer Akito (but I can't remember the name) which is fully waterproof, and warm as toast for winter rides.

I also still have the Python2 trousers, but I don't wear them cos I've eaten a few too many pies over the 5 years that I've owned them Embarassed

edit - and I also have an RST textile jacket that's mainly used for commuting etc and/or when one of the others is being cleaned
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive, but worth it Thumbs Up

Click here
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:
Expensive, but worth it Thumbs Up

Click here


Do they come with Knox armour pockets... ?
____________________
Gaffer Tape is like The Force.

It has a dark side and a light side and holds the Universe together!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I'm fairly sure that Armani suits don't have particularly good abrasion resistance Wink
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grazoid wrote:
Paxovasa wrote:
Expensive, but worth it Thumbs Up

Click here


Do they come with Knox armour pockets... ?


Well in the 80's they had shoulder pads Wink

You are also confusing humour with spam Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).


Last edited by Paxovasa on 17:34 - 16 Sep 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:32 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:


If I'm wearing bike trousers in a hot climate I want them to be VERY easy to get off.


Ahh now there we have a difference... I burn very easily and before have burnt one leg while slapping sunblock on t'other after taking off over trousers wearing shorts. So knowing this I tend to go for good hot weather gear I can keep on to keep the sun off as well as be comfortable riding in them.

I am hoping that these will also be as good in the winter as they were in the summer
____________________
Gaffer Tape is like The Force.

It has a dark side and a light side and holds the Universe together!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:
and I'm fairly sure that Armani suits don't have particularly good abrasion resistance Wink


A decent Harris tweed suite should outlast anything by Frnak Thomas up to 70ish... Wink
____________________
Gaffer Tape is like The Force.

It has a dark side and a light side and holds the Universe together!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 16 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:


You are also confusing humour with spam Thumbs Up


Nope was just feeling a bit arsy after finding a lot of other similar posts spam stylee everywhere today... karma realigned Very Happy
____________________
Gaffer Tape is like The Force.

It has a dark side and a light side and holds the Universe together!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.85 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 91.64 Kb