Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


on winning the lottery....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: on winning the lottery.... Reply with quote

I know it seems a really tired, pub-crawl question, "what would you do..." but I think it is useful for actually determining underlining values given that most profess (wrongly, as it happens) that a lack of money is limiting their progress in life.

Whenever I read of lotto winners, they always seem like cunts: lottery wins are wasted on lottery winners, it appears. It always also seems to go to the losers. You know the sort - they go back to work or some such thinking that this is somehow virtuous - and you're left thinking, "what a cunt", give it to someone who might actually do somesphinx with it. Most people haven't a clue beyond a "holiday and a new car" - which shows a really quite stunted attitude.

I can't say I know what I should do with millions. I don't think it would actually be as good a thing as most expect. After all, the very fabric of this society is based on earning money - and then spending it in small doses. If you have millions, you are almost an outcast from the essence of the age that you live in as you no longer need to lift a finger. This isn't entirely a good thing: it's like reaching the finish line of a marathon in a helicopter. It's a bit dispiriting because the fun was meant to to be in the race itself, not in the mere fact of touching home. If you can have anything, maybe most things lose their value altogether...

So what would you do, if your numbers came up tonight (£80m). I can honesty say I don't know what I'd do. I mean, once you've got the ferrari and the big house, these things would be boring after a month - and you've still got 79 million left.

Once you've toured the world, do you do it again, every year? Ideas on how to spend a fortune, please.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nai
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a house, start a family, finish my damned Open University degree (stalling due to financial / time restraints).

Probably start an animal sanctuary. Me and my partner pick up stray everything. Half the reason why our finances have taken a battering (my missus has lotsa cats, goats, sheep and horses, I have lizards ferrets and dogs).

I would also think about doing something geological. Maybe having an open rock collection. Invite school trips to see it and stuff. Geology is fantastic stuff.

Not sure what else....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cammy mack
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a big house with an even bigger garage. fill said garage with various bikes/cars Thumbs Up

start a family with teh missus Thumbs Up

destroy my liver with booze and die on the toilet in an elvis stylee Thumbs Up


job done

Mr. Green
____________________
Yamaha Tdm850
Yamaha fz6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pablouk
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get great pleasure from giving random, 'poor' looking people a grand or so in cash. Though would need to follow them around a bit to make sure they are not fully signed up chavs.
____________________
Keeping The Nation Pissed
Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. ~Benjamin Franklin
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up on the lottery mostly. I'm still in the family syndicate, which is 1 pound each from 7 households. It's only ever on the saturday main draw, so I highly doubt the big prize split between however many winners and then divided by 7 would yield much over 6figures (if indeed 6 figures at all).

I don't want to be rich. I'd get bored from being able to do/have anything I want. I want my life to serve a purpose... Hence why I've spent the last 2 years working like a dog to pay off 22k of debt just to enable me to start uni this year and begin along the long path of becoming a teacher. Once I qualify I'll actually be making a difference to the world by instilling knowledge into younglings. It will also mean that my working hours will be close to my children's school hours and my holidays will be the same as theirs, meaning that I will see them growing up (unlike my dad who worked 12hour days, 6 days a week and only took 2weeks holiday a year and was pretty much a complete stranger to me growing up)

I wouldn't say no to a coupla'hundred Ks, the sort of money that will mean I don't have to worry about mortgages/rent etc, but given my 2,500 from 31quid bet on ascot earlier this year, I reckon my money is better spent on the horses than lining lotto's pocket.

Oh and if you do win tonight, a honda blackbird (for commuting) would be most gratefully received should you feel inclined to be nice to me
____________________
1977 Honda CG125
2002 Ducati Monster S4 (currently restoring)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:54 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 lucky dips so i may as-well fantasize...

With 82m?

1 Arrow Quit job in very obtuse manner, tell managers and so on what i think: would be a very good day.

2. Arrow Buy house with lots of land, big garage and submit planning for race and moto x track.

3. Arrow Holiday and treating the missus and boy.

4. Arrow Fill said garage with many trinkets of bikes/cars and various toys.

5. Arrow Secure my nearest and dearest enough not to worry too much about money (not over doing it mind, you'd have nothing left!)

6. Arrow Invest, some into ensuring lifetime wealth and a decent amount into a not for profit charity company to help many people around the world, including this lifetime career visiting many places - not doing it all at once but over many years.

7. Arrow Also do many crazy things like mahoosive cycle rides and launching out of planes etc and living life on the edge and to its fullest.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nai wrote:
Buy a house, start a family, finish my damned Open University degree (stalling due to financial / time restraints).

Probably start an animal sanctuary. Me and my partner pick up stray everything. Half the reason why our finances have taken a battering (my missus has lotsa cats, goats, sheep and horses, I have lizards ferrets and dogs).

I would also think about doing something geological. Maybe having an open rock collection. Invite school trips to see it and stuff. Geology is fantastic stuff.

Not sure what else....


Great idea with the animal sanctuary. I'd do that, I think. Something like Hillside Animal Sanctuary.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the hell out of England.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodgydog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pay of the mortgage at the greyhound rescue we help.

buy a house with some land (to get more greyhounds running about)

sit and think about which family members should get something.

buy some cars and bikes.

give a lot away to other carefully selected charities ( RNLI )

pay for godson to attend London paralympics.

oh aye.................tell work to swivel on it.


Dog
____________________
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not exactly what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand on heart, I would not spend a penny on myself. Sure, I'd spend a bit on those who I care for but no more than perhaps paying off their mortgage. I fully believe that we are the legacy that we leave behind; nothing more, nothing less.

I want for lots but need for nothing.

I don't need for my 10k debts to be cleared, nor to have a better bike than my XJ600n. I can manage those myself through just plain hard work. I'd look to spend the money wisely on sorting out other peoples basic needs; in both the developed and developing world.

And no, I ain't trying to win Miss Uk. Razz Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a big car and a fast house.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scorps
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Instigator Im sorry if I dont believe you Confused

Id make sure my youngest could set up a state of the art tattoo studio and have a nice home,

id make sure my eldest daughter was sorted too.

Id buy a nice home with lots of land for my rescued animals to wander about in and dole loads out to my favourite causes.

My biggy would be to hire a select crack team of divers who would sneak up on whaling and sealing ships with limpet mines and sink the fucking lot of them.

last but not least a vigilante team of snipers to take out pedos/murders etc on their way out of the prison gates and then Id waste the rest Very Happy
____________________
Do not presume that I am male.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouoldnt move, I must be one of the few poeple that would stay in the same house she is in ! I would invest and buy some houses and renht them out. I love where I live. I would buy some crap for it, tv, loads of nice stuff and dec the place out. Car go on hols. put some away for kids. Live comfortably. Thumbs Up
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

With £82m you would struggle to spend it without going silly, and if you went silly it would be gone quickly.

Sure I wouldn't mind a house with more space for a garage, etc, but I doubt I would spend more than £2m there. Probably the biggest expense by a long way and all it has used up is under a years interest on the money.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

scorps wrote:
Instigator Im sorry if I dont believe you Confused


No need to be sorry, I don't need your belief. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain for me. Canaries most likely. Year round sun and warmth, not too hot. Relax.

If I won an obscene amount, possibly invest unwisely in a BSB or Superstock/Sport team. I'd love to own a restaurant, but that might be a bit much like hard work. Or an investment in a gym. That would be cool. I'd need to stay thoroughly motivated to work off all the good food and wine I'd be eating.

The possibilities are endless. I'd probably just disappear for 6 months and like the life of Riley, rent a big villa somewhere in the sun until we'd decided what we were gonna do.

Likelihood is I'd just quit work so I didn't have to get up at 6am anymore and remain as tight as a Yorkshire gnat's chuff...mine, mine I tell you, all mine...
____________________
Responsibility. It's a difficult reality for some. I'm running the 2014 Sheffield Half Marathon on behalf of Bluebell Wood Childrens Hospice. Please sponsor me, even if it's just a quid.
DonnyBrago: "I think you may be confusing rain and napalm..." Paulington: "It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it."
Current rides: '05 VFR800 VTEC, '57 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi #58LEGEND
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misc wrote:
Get the hell out of England.


Is it really that bad ?

I always thought it was a lovely place. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rastamantingt...
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me find out who de bumbaclot de pon my phone.
____________________
A WHO DI BUMBACLOT DEH PON MY PHONE?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://sites.google.com/site/nuncahubounavez/chester2.jpg
I'm not greedy. As long as I've got my health, my millions of dollars, my gold house and my rocket car I don't need anything else."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carvel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rastamantingting wrote:

Dude your weird

GTFO
____________________
2002 Aprilia RSV1000R, Cbr600Fs, Mk1 B12, Vfr400 NC30...

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 plans; both of which cancel each other out so would be rather complicated.

Option 1: Go travelling alone (major travelling - I am talking the whole world here mrgreen: ).

Would be so easy to do as well when you have an unlimited supply of money. Either by bike, car, planes (probably not though), trains, just whatever takes your fancy. Only thing I would take with me would be a camera.

Would love to send postcards back home from where ever I was in the world. Just travel to a new place every day and get a hotel for the night or whatever - there is so many places I really want to go in the world and it will never be possible without a lottery win. And basically just 'live' your life a day at a time and enjoy it.

*** An addition part of this plan would be that I wouldn't tell a single soul that I had won the lottery and just 'go missing'. (Not even tell my girlfriend that I had won the lotto and was going travelling). The first that anyone would know where I was would be when a postcard drops through their door. Laughing

^^^ I have actually given this a lot of thought before. Just need to win the damn thing now.







Option 2: Buy a house with and a big garage and fill it will all sorts of cars and bikes, etc. (Although nothing like Ferraris, Lambos though - I mean simple stuff that can be worked on - as a hobby). And never have to worry about paying bills, etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Rastamantingt... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nai
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rastamantingting wrote:


Shut the blood clot up and vote pon the thread nuh man.


This meme thing is made of fail. It wasn't funny when it first appeared, its still not funny now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rastamantingt...
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answer the mans question and get abuse shouted at me, then mi reply and give 'im some of mi mind and me get raped in a blood clart karma war. awhadeerasssss.
____________________
A WHO DI BUMBACLOT DEH PON MY PHONE?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.8 Kb