Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


keeping pets can be expensive

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: keeping pets can be expensive Reply with quote

my cat molly was hit by a car on thursday (we think hit by a car)
we noticed whe was just sitting and not going up the stair
and when picked up she was hissing and crying so off to the vets, daughter in taxi with cat £10
vet not in the surgery have to take cat to other place, another taxi £8
have to keep cat overnight to do Xray in morning
X ray not good fractured left hip, maybe nerve damage as well, cat has to stay another night
as she can't go to tiolet without being "Stimulated"

today at 2pm daughter gets call vets closes at 2:30 are we picking her up or is she staying
at the cost of a 5 star hotel room per night I decide to go get her
pay vet bill so far £249 F**** Me this is getting expensive
Taxi to vet and back £14 Taxi to friends house to pick up large cage £10

and not finished yet
Molly has to go back to the vets on Mon to see if she has nerve damage
and can go to the toilet on her own, if not its possible I may still have to have her put down
if the damage is worse that we think just now

£300 so far, Oh well there goes the Nov fun in the sun funds Sad

Oh well its only Money and Molly means a lot to me and the family
whats even more stressfull is we are getting a new kitten tonight
we arranged to take it weeks ago
so now I have to keep molly in isolation in a cage to restrict her movement
and deal with a new kitten wanting to explore
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect most of us would feel just as you and spend just as much too. Soft old buggers aren't we !.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet insurance ftw! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

iCraig wrote:
Pet insurance ftw! Thumbs Up


yeah had that for my dog, eventually stopped paying it though at £14 a month and never used in 9 years figured the vet bill would be cheaper
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mt cat was hit by a car this morning, well at leat I think he was. Whoever hit him stopped, picked him up from the road and hid him between 2 parked cars.

He wasn't found for a couple of hours, in a bad state. Took him to the vets, but they had to put him to sleep. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Charge of £193. Sad

Gutted.

Hope yours gets better. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit
I sorry to hear that
I could never see an animal suffer, if i hit an animal and it looked bad I'd take it to a vet myself
or at least try to find an owner to inform
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the OP's cat gets well soon.

To DOG, I can only imagine what it is like to lose a pet, especially when our cat is such an important part of mine and my other halfs lives.

Some People think its strange how emotional people get over pets, but I can totally understand it. Sad
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:30 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ouch. Hope your cat is OK.

One of ours was knocked down several years ago (we think, broke her pelvis and it took her a few days to crawl home). Cost us a fortune.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nai
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got scammed IMHO by AXA pet insurance, one of my pups cost me £2500. Nowdays anything I would have paid to insurance for pets I put into premium bonds and a mini ISA and save for their costs.

Thoughts are with you DOG, losing pets is horrible. Will you be getting another one?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
To DOG, I can only imagine what it is like to lose a pet, especially when our cat is such an important part of mine and my other halfs lives.

Some People think its strange how emotional people get over pets, but I can totally understand it. Sad


Has been terrible tbh. I'm not the most emotional chap in the world, but I'm not ashamed to say I've bawled my eyes out three times today. We've had him for 5 1/2 yrs, our 1st pet as a couple. Flew him to Oz, and back. He was fantastic with the kids when they came along, and was a keystone of the family. My eldest (3 1/2) is upset and confused - didn't think she'd have to deal with this so young, but such is life, it is good learning for her.

So sad.

Nai wrote:
Will you be getting another one?


Yes, in time, I love the cats. Thumbs Up

/hijack
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You have my sympathy. One of ours (the one mentioned earlier having been knocked down several years ago) was knocked down and killed a couple of months ago. She was a real character and I miss her.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch man sorry to hear of it, our next door neighbours cat was hit alittle while ago as well Sad

DOG im sorry to hear of that also, what a wanker Thumbs Down

I'm a dog person but there are quite a few cats around here, sometimes when im working in my garage on the bike etc lying there or what ever and suddenly this cat is almost on top of me Laughing Yes that sounds dodgy but oh well. They are cute though, I find them lying in my plant pots and stuff too Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our one dog last year hurt himself on a walk, threw a stick for him it stuck in the ground as he jumped on it and caught him in the throat, tore the throat open slightly internally.
Emergency call out on a Sunday evening
Stitches
X-ray
just shy of £1000, thankfully pet insurance covered it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

With small animals I think they inflate the charges because they expect you will claim it on insurance.
If I call the vet out to a cow and he's here for an hour I would be shocked if it cost much more than £100
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shittt, pretty sure I'm not going to be getting any pets in a hurry! Shocked

Get well soon cats Mr. Green Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
With small animals I think they inflate the charges because they expect you will claim it on insurance.
If I call the vet out to a cow and he's here for an hour I would be shocked if it cost much more than £100


A lot of it is that you can do a lot more for small animals. You get a cow that's been hit by a car. It's a case of a 15 minutes to check what you think is wrong then either give painkillers and keep your fingers crossed or fill out a slaughter certificate.

Large animal work is also chronically and severely undercharged for the time and effort expended. You can get a vet out to perform a caesarian section on a cow at 3am for less that British gas would charge to come out and change the thermocouple in your boiler during normal working hours.

Get a cat hit by a car, it's painkillers, IV fluids to treat the shock (which means kenneling) followed by possibly blood testing to check if they are stable enough to give an anaesthetic, an anaesthetic then x-rays. By the time you've done that, you know what's wrong and can start thinking about how to fix it.

A sense of perspective is what's needed when you look at what you're paying for what you're getting. Some practices do take the piss IMO but I'd say most are pretty reasonable for what you're getting. Say your bike engine seized on your way to work and needed a full top-end. How much do you reckon you'd have spent by the time it was recovered and fixed by a mechanic?

Not to put too fine a point on it (or take anything away from other professions, I'm a rubbish plumber), I'm sure my training was more extensive, trade is more skilled and overheads are greater than a gas fitter.

Americans don't even blink when they get a vets bill because they know what healthcare costs. We have the NHS so people in the UK are not well informed about this kind of thing.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Re: keeping pets can be expensive Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:

as she can't go to tiolet without being "Stimulated"


So they read it one of Warped's or Inept's posts to make it shit?
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Chris750
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:46 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inept wrote:
Oi .. menstrating jigsaw puzzle .. fuck off ... Middle Finger

Anyway, last week a family friends cat was killed by two dogs from round the corner ...

The dogs owner said to him .. it's only a cat ...

They had the cat from kitten about 15 years ago ....

Evil or Very Mad Thumbs Down


If dogs killed my cat and the owner said that to me I'd probably end up going to prison.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodgydog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:09 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my greyhounds got hold of a cat (before we got him) cost the rescue centre a fortune for the vets bill.

since we got him we've managed to train him to be a little more cat friendly, ie he doesn't lunge at them now, mostly ignores them when we're out.

Although a neighbour has an expensive cat (£500 he paid for it) and Lennie took a little nip, bout a fivers worth, from it.

working on the newest addition now, he goes mental when he sees a cat, and he's quite capable of catching one. He's another rescue greyhound, that someone paid £40,000 for, then he got injured racing and is now considered worthless.

costs us about £60 a month for insurance on all three greys.


Dog
____________________
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not exactly what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

deleted111
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:29 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

T'is true what has been said up there ^

Some may think it's silly but some of us get so attached to animals it's unreal.

I can't remember who said it, but someone once told me 'if you can't afford to keep a dog, keep rats'. And I got really attached the the first rats I had. Eventually they passed and I kept ferrets instead. They were almost like friends to me since I barely leave the house anymore. I'm not a massive cat person, but I understand how attached to animals people can be, so I feel your pain and hope Molly gets better soon!!

I now keep fish. One of them died yesterday and I was quite upset.


Then my girlfriend left me last night and I realised that in comparison I wasn't too upset about the fish. F*cking bitch tore my heart out.

Urgh.

/Rant

Karma

All the best.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inept wrote:
Oi .. menstrating jigsaw puzzle .. fuck off ... Middle Finger

Anyway, last week a family friends cat was killed by two dogs from round the corner ...

The dogs owner said to him .. it's only a cat ...

They had the cat from kitten about 15 years ago ....

Evil or Very Mad Thumbs Down

https://koti.mbnet.fi/tibe9mm/Troll_success.jpg
Laughing
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inept wrote:


They had the cat from kitten about 15 years ago ....



Well they wouldn't have had the cat since it was a puppy, now would they?
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Say your bike engine seized on your way to work and needed a full top-end. How much do you reckon you'd have spent by the time it was recovered and fixed by a mechanic?

Not only that, but it has to be done NOW or it'll get worse, and it has to be 'looked after' until you pick it up, rather than being left in a corner.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inept wrote:
Oi .. menstrating jigsaw puzzle .. fuck off ... Middle Finger

Anyway, last week a family friends cat was killed by two dogs from round the corner ...

The dogs owner said to him .. it's only a cat ...

They had the cat from kitten about 15 years ago ....

Evil or Very Mad Thumbs Down


I'd have pointed out that if I slit the dogs throat it wouldn't matter because its 'only a dog'.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.39 Sec - Server Load: 2.07 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.56 Kb