Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Which Bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Biker_Adam
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Which Bike? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm newish to green laning (used to have a bike a couple of years ago). I am looking for a nice bike preferably a 125 2t, I have three I like the look of;

GasGas EC 125
KTM EXC 125
Aprilia MX 125

What do you guys reckon?
I don't want anything bigger because I will kill myself.

Cheers,

Ad.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:26 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger engines are probably easier to ride than the 125s.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker_Adam
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:45 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why's that?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker_Adam wrote:
Why's that?


More power!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker_Adam
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is I don't have a big bike license, I was looking at a 125 so I could just do a CBT instead of a big bike test...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends if you're worried about being illegal or not.
The Gas Gas and the KTM would actually be illegal on a 33hp full licence as stock, never mind a CBT which only allows 14.6hp!

The Gas Gas and KTM are both very capable bikes. I've just got a KTM 144 (slightly bigger bore version of a 125) and I was easily passing a lot of bigger bikes. It's got all the power you need really and you don't get masses more on a bigger bike, but you do get easier to use power with more low down grunt from the bigger examples.
(I should point out that while I was passing people, plenty of people were faster than me and that was down to their skill, not a bigger bike - a 125 ridden by a lady finished ahead of me at Hafren, though that was the only smaller cc bike that did Smile ).

I haven't ridden the Aprilia, but it's going to be a lot slower, heavier and less well susepended than the ones you mention.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker_Adam
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 19 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the in depth reply G, what makes these bikes illegal?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:02 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much power for CBT.
Too much power and too little weight for 33hp.

What have you got to spend and how old are you?

Personally, presuming you've got some budget, I'd spend some of that on the licence, then get a bit cheaper bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker_Adam
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 23 and have about 2k to spend

What are these bikes like for maintenance?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

delvey91
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate uses a SX125 mx bike for greenlaning. Its ideal , light and tbh has more than enough power. The maintenence isnt bad, he changed his piston on his after doin 2k, was the orginal one and it was pretty much unmarked. It hadnt had much use before being road reged. Insurance is really cheap swell, hes 18 on a cbt and it was only 240 quid ftft. The EXC is the better bike tho as its got the full complement of lights and a lower 1st and 2nd gear for the knarly bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bad if you're just using them for green laning; actually not too bad for enduro stuff either.
In your situation, I think I would definitely spend that extra on doing your licence (likely you will get cheaper insurance), then a spend a bit less on the bike.

As an idea, I got a generally good 99 300EXC (with 2005 suspension) with some spares for £920 recently, taxed and tested. I think a bike like that makes a better general use bike used for laning.
I'm pretty sure I'll be preferring my 144SX for proper enduro stuff as I can thrash it a bit more without getting out of my depth, but on lanes I'm more thinking flexibility and not stressing the engine too much; especially on the road bits.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker_Adam
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

..thing is I'm going to be going through woods and fields etc.

I might do my test as 300cc bikes seem to be cheaper than 125, the only thing that puts me off is me killing myself. A 300cc 2t is going to be too much for me to handle, I know it.

So, with a KTM 125 EXC I won't be able to insure it under a CBT anyway will I?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker_Adam wrote:
A 300cc 2t is going to be too much for me to handle, I know it.

Confused - so a bike that is easier to ride slowly is 'too much', yet one with peakier power designed to make as much power as possible within a cc limit will be better?
From what I know, the 125 isn't actually THAT bad, but I still reckon the 300 is better.
For instance on the 125 you may have to approach obstacles at a higher speed and keep going faster so you don't bog down, while the low down grunt of the bigger bikes means you can approach the obstacle slower and the power do the work.
In the end, the 125 is still probably going to be better than something like an XR250, which plenty of people start on. However given the choice, I'd definitely go for the bigger one in your situation.

Quote:
So, with a KTM 125 EXC I won't be able to insure it under a CBT anyway will I?

Yes you will. You'll be riding illegaly and it's possible if you have an accident resulting in a claim you could get quite done over if they decided to be nasty. But you should be able to get insured.

Where are you? If you're around my area, you're welcome to have a go on my 144, 200 and 300 to see how they compare next time at Four Marks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker_Adam
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, that's real nice of you!

I'm down in Essex near Colchester.

How much heavier is the 300 compared to a 125?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 5kgs or so between the 125 and the 300.

I'm in Reading, so probably a bit too far for you.
I will be over your way in a month or so, possibly with a bike or two, but not sure on details yet or what I'll be doing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker_Adam
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right small weight difference then!

Well if I did the DAS test then I could ride any bike I wanted...maybe it's best to go for that and then get a 300cc.

How often do you need to service them?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:46 - 20 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you do end up getting a 125, I think it'd be best to do DAS. Your insurance would be cheaper and you'd be legal, which is always nice. Plus, you can more easily blag goes on mates bikes and not worry.

Depends what you mean by 'servicing' and on the riding.
Again something like the 300 should require less servicing for the same speed, because you're not have to rev or stress the bike as much.

Go here: https://ktm.co.uk/Offroad-Competition-EXC.18.19.html select a bike then go to downloads and it lists all the maintenance manuals.
Service intervals for the 300 are listed as 20 hours (1250 miles) and 40 hours (2500 miles). They come with an 'hour counter' generally, which shows you exactly how long you've had the engine running.
For gentle trail use you should probably be ok to increase these a bit; for race use they specify much tighter ones (though I often don't bother with quite so tight, as I know my race pace isn't near that of some!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker_Adam
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:14 - 21 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate you have been a great help, I suppose I had better book my theory and get booked up for a DAS, at least I'll be legal which is best - probably!

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 94.56 Kb