Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Lying on Insurance or Using Rhetoric

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:51 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Lying on Insurance or Using Rhetoric Reply with quote

Hello all. Now that my Bandit is pretty much ready to get on the road, I have been looking at some quotes. One of the questions asked is ‘have you had any accidents’ - the answer is yes, two, and both in a car. However, when I go in to the drop down box, it ONLY has the options for bike related accidents. So, I shouldn’t need to include my car related ones?

Also, I have sort of asked a similar question before, but, I will be probably storing the bike in my house at the back. I am going to put it down as a ‘garage’, because it is not on a driveway or the public road so, do they check, and if they did, would it invalidate my insurance? The reason I want to do it, is that it saves a massive £600 full comp. I was going to build a shed/small garage but thought better of it.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line is any tiny detail that you've either failed to mention or used artistic licence with the description will be used to invalidate your insurance to save them paying out. They're in the business of making money, not losing it.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:03 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do insurance companies share information regarding accidents/convictions? That is the only way I could think of them finding out
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for the house as a garage, then the only way they could do that would be to come and view the house.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans wrote:
And for the house as a garage, then the only way they could do that would be to come and view the house.


Or look on Google Streetview. I think they do share information these days as well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Streetview at the back of my house which is where the bike would be stored.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici


Last edited by Adam.I on 18:08 - 28 Oct 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put garage on your policy and something happened. When the send an assessor out, they would see you don't have a garage. That gives them a reason not to pay out.

Be honest with them. Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Asharin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:
If you put garage on your policy and something happened. When the send an assessor out, they would see you don't have a garage. That gives them a reason not to pay out.

Be honest with them. Thumbs Up

I just use 'Stored off road' which is true, it's in my back garden.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the £600 saving to buy a metal shed.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:36 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a brand new DT125R and had it for 3 months before it was stolen. I stated it would be garaged (which it was expect for the time it was stolen).

One night got home and someone had blocked the enterance to the garage. Parked bike in rear yard (with a chain through it). Went down later to put it in the garage, bike was gone.

The insurance sent a guy out, when I explained that It was stolen from the rear yard (I did learn an expensive lesson) as I could not park it in the garage. They used that and they did not pay out.

In the small print it stated that it would be garaged while at my home address. Went to a solicitor and they said I would not win the case.

So I lost my bike and all I got of the insurance was about 8 months worth of the policy back (£100 at the time) never got it back.

I also believe that the vehicle blocking the garage was involved in stealing the bike.

So please think carefully what you say to the insurance company when getting a policy.
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans wrote:
Do insurance companies share information regarding accidents/convictions? That is the only way I could think of them finding out


Yes they do, they cancelled my CBR125 insurance recently because I didnt notify them of my car crash.
Failed to insure me when I re-applied and I went with someone else stating all 9 accidents on my record.

They will find out and they will rape you silly if you dont tell them!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

also when you get your policy cancelled for lying to them the you have answer yes to "have you ever been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled on you"

thats basically a licence to bum you even more or just not insure you full stop
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a conspiracy to stop you ever making a claim for fear of the consequences. Bastards.

I only tell them what I think they need to know, I'm a little concerned they may be colluding against me collecting information on me that I dont have access to.

I'd be tempted to make the tenuous argument, that I have never been in an accident that was found to be my fault, and that's all they need to know.

Anything else, I might define as a collision, which I might argue is a different thing entirely.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:
So please think carefully what you say to the insurance company when getting a policy.


Wrong answer.

Go TPO and lie through your teeth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am just going to put it down just in case. As for the garage, I am going to say what asharin says 'stored off road'.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Beelzebob
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
I'm a little concerned they may be colluding against me collecting information on me that I dont have access to.


You have a right to access any information a company holds about you, under the Data Protection Act:

https://www.ico.gov.uk/Home/for_the_public/personal_information.aspx

So if you're worried - all you have to do is ask.

OP - don't be tempted to tell porkies to the insurance company. Consider as well that you have posted that you are considering defrauding an insurance company on a publicly-available website...
____________________
'09 YBR 125 -> '92 XJ600 S Diversion -> '99 Hornet 600

"Stronger than your average female lifeguard"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
Go TPO and lie through your teeth.

How is that any different to lying when taking out a TPFT or fully comp policy?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, TPO works out £500 more expensive then TPFT!
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, put "stored off road" because people's driveways do branch round to the rear of the property too. Garage means you need to have a secure building of sorts. Driveway can encompass the rear of the property too.

As for the claims, only declare them if the 3rd party put a claim in against you. for instance, I had a collision. I claimed against third party. But third party made no counter claim against me. Check up if there were any counterclaims. if there wasnt, then i wouldnt bother declaring it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
ms51ves3 wrote:
Go TPO and lie through your teeth.

How is that any different to lying when taking out a TPFT or fully comp policy?


Because I'm never going to get anything from the insurance company with TPO insurance (unlike with TPFT and FC), so it doesn't make a jot of difference what I put as long as I'm on the insurance database and appear insured.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're still open to the same problems you would be if lying on a TPFT or fully comp policy.

If you end up with someone claiming against your insurance and the insurers invalidate your policy then you'd be in a lot of shit, more shit than you'd be in if your bike had been nicked and the insurers found out that you'd lied about it being garaged.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gmanxiii
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you are using a price comparison website, a good thing to do is get your quote then ring up the insurance company and speak to them rather than taking the policy out online. I found that there was some options that wasn't shown in the online form that they could put down i.e. i originally had mine down as just "off road" as they had no option for "locked shed" to select. When i spoke to them, they added it on and it knocked some money off the original quote. Same with security devices.
____________________
I kills hondas

VFR400NC30 > ZZR600 > CBR600FX > CBR1000rr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

locked
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to insurance, I don't lie. They will screw you over the first chance they get! Its generally a pain in the arse to make a claim anyway, why make it more difficult for yourself?
____________________
on the look out for my next bike....
CBT Passed - 13/09/09 Theroy Passed - 19/12/09 Mod 1 Passed 04/05/10 Mod 2 Passed 14/05/10 - Free to ride ANYTHING!
Motorcycles are perfectly safe as long as you remember they're dangerous.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You're still open to the same problems you would be if lying on a TPFT or fully comp policy.

If you end up with someone claiming against your insurance and the insurers invalidate your policy then you'd be in a lot of shit, more shit than you'd be in if your bike had been nicked and the insurers found out that you'd lied about it being garaged.


You're still worse off lying when going for TPFT or FC over TPO. Fact.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How?

If you get caught out lying then it doesn't matter if you're TPO, TPFT or fully comp because you could end up being liable for millions of pounds.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.05 Kb