Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cheap Panniers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

timboellis
Traffic Copper



Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Cheap Panniers Reply with quote

My wife has vouchers for Argos and asking if i would like these any feedback on it?

https://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0382986/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTORBIKE.htm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty good for the price, but will you use them. I bought a pair 10 years ago and have used them once I found I could carry all I needed in a rucksack and tank bag.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

timboellis
Traffic Copper



Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was my next question they also have a tank bag suggest a tank bag be better?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alabama Blacksnake
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of these. They are good for the price you can put a fair bit in them aswell. The only problem I had was that the rain cover ripped whilst I was riding down the dual carriage way. They secure onto the bike well with the velcro. They dont seem to block pillion foot pegs either.
____________________
Bikes i've owned: mobylette ----- Ts 50er ------ GS 400e ------ CB250n superdream ------r6 ------ bandit 400 ----- 2005 kx 125
Bikes i have:dtr125 field bike that doesnt not seem to die!!! 1992 gsxr 750 Very Happy
trevoriv said: Leathers are like teenage girls, the tighter the better.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best friend has some on his ER5. They seem to do a good job, apart from what Kicker said about the rain cover ripping off, his did and they do definitely bock the foot pegs on the ER5, I can barely get my feet on the pegs!
____________________
Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd save the vouchers for christmas shopping for the relatives.
https://static1.intobikes.co.uk/images/spacer.gif
These are Oxford 'First-Time' paniers. RRP is £60. OK thats £20 more than your Argos pair, BUT, these work and work well, & if yopu shop about, you should be able to pick a pair up for as much or only a little more than the Argos pair. Check e-bay & the shows etc. I paid I think £25 for mine at a show, couple of years back.
They came with an impressive collection of straps & bungies to tie them down and elasticated rain-proof over covers, though I've never used them. Almost permenant fit on the CB, strapped under the seat, they're effectively locked on, so you can leave them there (provided you dont leave stuff in them when your away from the bike.)
Will you use them? Well depends whether you 'get' them.
Personally, after doing the sports-bag over the shoulder & knap-sack & ruck-sak bit.... I get them.
Load on the bike, not your back, it's lower down, better balenced, better spread, doesn't make you bigger & tug you about in the wind, or restrict your movement & stuff.
Actually been nearly hit by a riuck-sack flying off the back of a lad on a CBR6 when he decided to duck behind the fairing as he hit the ton.... exposing pack on his back to wind blast, which ripped the straps off his shoulders and chucked the bludy thing staraight at ME!
Dont much like the idea of having anything strapped to my back if I fall of niether.
Anyway,left on the bike, they're there when you need them, like when you decide to pop to the shop on your way home from somewhere, or pick something up at a show.
And the Oxfords are zip expandable. Take an awful lot of stuff, almost as much as my 46l hard boxes.
Far more than I can get in even a two tier tank-bag, and they dont get in the way of the clocks, or have to be lifted on & off scratching the paintwork when I need to fill up.
Can still carry a pillion and or add a tote back over the tail for even more luggability doing a rally or whatever.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:35 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some of these.

I can get a fair amount of stuff in them (enough for 3 days camping anyway, and also managed to fit a set of crankcases from a cr250 in one side alone.... dont ask...) and they fit nice and securely.

As Mike says, they are much better than lugging around a rucksack.
Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.3 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 55.3 Kb