Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Blood riders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Blood riders Reply with quote

Anyone done it?

Experiences, tips, advice, much appreciated.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloke
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few guys in work volunteer for it. You need to be iam or rospa gold before they'll even consider putting you through your blue light training.

You ride their bike and basically do shift work for a week long period. Bike and pager stay with you for the week then you pass it on.

Despite it being a volunteer service you'll also get looked down on by the nhs blue light drivers as effectively these charities are pricing the drivers out of a job.

That said though who wouldn't like a blast on a blues and twos run. Smile
____________________
2008 VFR800 VTEC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

Hmmm, thanks. I must be with the economy version, then, cos I joined this outfit called SERV recently - and did a training evening last night, and now I'm scheduled to do Monday nights fortnightly 7pm-6am on call.

They did say I might be advised to do an IAM course, which is fine with me ... and suggested other short courses, but they were happy to take me on along with five other people (all guys). Riding our own bikes, not theirs. (Although apparently I need a new back tyre, haha)

I got a luminescent jacket (only time anybody will ever see me wearing one of them), and a card badgey thing with my picture on it, and a label that says "Emergency Blood" on it, but no blue lights and then a short tour to show us where the blood bank at Tooting was, and a few hospitals and "meeting points" in Kent and Surrey, along with a list of other hospitals where I'm likely to end up. As I'm based in Docklands at the moment, I presume I'll end up mostly on the Kent and Essex side, but I don't mind. Gets me out the house, off Farmville Laughing

I'm unbothered about being looked down upon by any sorta jumped-up ambulance driver (pardon me, 999 Kid, no insult intended, LOL). Anyway, my shoulders are as broad as my arse. Its only about doing something useful.

I've been too anaemic to donate blood, until recently, and even then my Hb levels are still questionable ... so this was my next best option. And I have a lot of time on my hands, now my daughter has left home, figured I might as well make myself useful.

Was doing stuff with so-called "underprivileged" kids for a bit (i.e., chavs and rudeboys) but got bored with their attitude and all they wanna do is smoke dope and sit round. Temptation is too strong to do the same, LOL!
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloke
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the nhs driver thing just my next door neighbour is one so when a friend popped over on his blood bike he kicked off about it, can kinda see his point but meh.

Heard of serv in the past didn't know they were different to my local outfit. I give blood anyway but gotta say one of the big attractions to the job for me is the blue light training and associated runs. Smile
____________________
2008 VFR800 VTEC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not work for lewis day medical couriers or something and get paid to do the same?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, that prolly never occurred to me.
But I have a nice warm dry office job, already.

My ex was a courier for too many years, so I know how crap that can be. I don't wanna have to ride my bike all day, every day in all seasons.

Once a fortnight or thereabouts is fine with me Mr. Green
(plus I can take the car if I really want)
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember rightly 999Kid is hoping to do this type of thing himself... or was it Paramedic biking? (I'm sure he'll be along to correct me... Very Happy )

Anyway, good for you HK...

I was doing some community work this morning...working with disabled and autistic kids doing 'sports' at an Enable Me session. I explained that I couldn't run, that I was supposed to be there as an extra set of eyes and ears....but they paired me up with a kid determined to exit the building at any given moment!!!

Bloody sports hall had four exits... Rolling Eyes well I certainly got some exercise (I am now extremely efficient at power walking Laughing )
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.61 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 52.88 Kb