Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Newbie, just done CBT...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

SaneDave
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Newbie, just done CBT... Reply with quote

I've been browsing these forums for a few weeks and decided it was about time I said hello, so;

Hello there!

A bit about me; I've wanted to bike for years, but when I was younger my parents said no, then I got my car licence and sort of forgot about it. That was 13 years ago. More recently, I'd been thinking about it again and talked about it with my wife. Having both turned 30 recently I think we must be having some kind of early mid-life crisis, the upshot of which is we decided to get out there and start riding. Annoyingly, my wife's work means she managed to do her CBT within a few days, and immediately bought herself a bike (a bargain 500mile '59' plate Suzuki gn125h). I couldn't arrange spare time until yesterday. Anyway, got though it without a problem, and can definitely say I'm going to enjoy this.
I used Phoenix motorcycle training whos Romsey branch is run by a guy called Dave Spicer. I would definitely recommend. I was a bit worried while I was doing the initial off road manoeuvres, but once on the road it all fell into place. Great fun, even on a 125 it was fun opening it up a bit! Can't wait to get some practice in and then moving on to something bigger.....

Cheers,

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome Thumbs Up

Take it easy on them thar roads Wink
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:44 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of biking, and BCF! You're pretty local to me; I'm in Southampton. When you get a bike maybe we can meet up for a small bikes rideout Razz
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gray84
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome mate. its nice when a husband and wife start biking..next best thing to swinging Laughing
what sort of bike you thinking of having?
____________________
Road bike - 2002 YAMAHA R6(SOLD) 2008 YAMAHA R1(SOLD) 2007 APRILIA SXV 550(SOLD) 2007 SUZUKI GSXR 600
Dirt bike - 1989 HONDA CR80sw(SOLD) 1996 YAMAHA YZ125(SOLD) 2006 yamaha yz250(SOLD)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SaneDave
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:08 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome!

Where abouts in Southampton? I work in Chandlers Ford, and used to live in Lordshill. I used to cycle to work which was ~5miles, but now i live just at the top of the New Forest so more like 25miles. I used to love cycling, so this seemed like a perfect replacement to do my commute!

We've got friends who bike as a couple, one as a life long biker and his other half did her CBT 6months or so ago. He might be lending me a bike, then we can all bike together. So, yeah, not far off with the swinging comment Wink

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaneDave wrote:
Where abouts in Southampton? I work in Chandlers Ford, and used to live in Lordshill. I used to cycle to work which was ~5miles, but now i live just at the top of the New Forest so more like 25miles. I used to love cycling, so this seemed like a perfect replacement to do my commute!

I'm living in Highfield at the moment as I'm a student at the University. Hope you get a bike sorted out soon, I had to wait 3 months after my CBT; it was torture!
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nai
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome! I got my bike on a mid life crisis too, your not alone! Razz

Now get into the South East sub forum, open the tag thread, go for a ride with the missus, and pull the tag east a bit Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

aaronb74
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ello and welcome Smile
____________________
Current bike - 2006 ZX6R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:49 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and life on 2 wheels. Thumbs Up
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Crystal Tipps
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think we must be having some kind of early mid-life crisis,


Welcome to the forum & biking. I can relate to the above comment too...been driving a car for 24 years, and always wanted to start biking, but the opportunity never arose until this year! My partner did his CBT shortly after me, but unfortunately hasn't been on a bike since. Hoping to change that in the spring as all his mates ride bikes too.

Have fun Very Happy
____________________
First bike: 2002 CG. Now riding lime green 2008 ER6N.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ashman86
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mate,

I used Pheonix too but in Chippenham, great guys i thought...even though one of there bike threw me off! Shocked
____________________
Motorcycles! For Everyone Else There Is Therapy
Suzuki Bandit GSF600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tale sounds almost the same as mine...
____________________
Responsibility. It's a difficult reality for some. I'm running the 2014 Sheffield Half Marathon on behalf of Bluebell Wood Childrens Hospice. Please sponsor me, even if it's just a quid.
DonnyBrago: "I think you may be confusing rain and napalm..." Paulington: "It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it."
Current rides: '05 VFR800 VTEC, '57 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi #58LEGEND
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome, be careful out there as this time of year sees slippery roads and car drivers more dopey than usual... You will love it though Twisted Evil Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SaneDave
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 02 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Not sure when I'll get a chance to get back on two wheels at the moment, annoyingly I'm out of the country for a few weeks so won't have a chance to sort bikes/insurance. It'll be December by the time I get a chance to have a ride, I just hope the weather doesn't turn too bad by then.

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.07 Kb