Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What bike for a noob to do motorway commutes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

herulach
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:26 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: What bike for a noob to do motorway commutes? Reply with quote

So assuming all goes to plan I should have a shiny new bike licence this time next week. I also start a new job in december, that will mean the commute changes from 8 miles into town, to about 15 miles on the motorway, with occasional jaunts to offices all over the place up to 150 miles away. Surprisingly enough I don't fancy it on the YBR, so, what bike for:
    Decent motorway performance
    Easy Filtering (there will be some town riding when I'm off to other offices)
    Bit of weekend fun.


A bit neccesity is the availability of hard side panniers. When I'm not at head office I need to be able to fit everything on the bike as there will be no where to keep gear - unfortunately this seems to rule out the usual 500 twins etc.

Things I've had my eye on so far:
TDM 850
900 Diversion
Aprillia Caponard
Aprilla Pegaso (assuming I can source panniers)
K100 RT (possibly a little bit on the tank like side for a first bike)

Budget is around £2k depending what i can trade mine in for, but I can afford to stretch it a bit if someone suggests something awesome.
[/list]
____________________
YBR 125>FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the list I would surprise even myself and chose the Divi.

Cheap as chips with bags enough power to get you from a to b on the motorways and a sit up position that wont break your back. shaft driven so low maintainance.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Re: What bike for a noob to do motorway commutes? Reply with quote

herulach wrote:

A bit neccesity is the availability of hard side panniers. When I'm not at head office I need to be able to fit everything on the bike as there will be no where to keep gear - unfortunately this seems to rule out the usual 500 twins etc.


A little bit confused as to how this rules out the 500cc twins, as can't hard luggage be fitted to said bikes? (i sure do hope that's the case as i've pretty much just bought a 2nd hand top box and rack intending to fit it to my CB500!)

To be honest though, unless you're quite young like myself, you'd probably want another 100 cubes or so (i.e. a 600+ ) for the longer rides, as the extra power would make it "easier".
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 04 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a bike you want to ride when you are not commuting.
Remember, a bike is a toy aswell as a mode of transport.

Therefore meladdio i suggest a nice...

CBR600f

Great for long trips and short commutes
Fun enough to go out and play with the lads on a sunny day.
Will take a nuclear blast to kill it

Dont choose a bike purely for sensible reasons, you will only regret it.

my pp


Last edited by CaNsA on 00:44 - 05 Nov 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CptBlack
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at Triumph Sprints over the last week, but can't ride one on my licence. Might be worth a look for you though, depending on the insurance.
I've seen a few from the 90's go for under a grand on eBay.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance, good point there matey.

If you are over 25, and the bike is over 15 years old you can get classic insurance.

My cbr600f3 1995 costs me 130 a year fully comp with 50 quid excess Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

herulach
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Re: What bike for a noob to do motorway commutes? Reply with quote

Ingah wrote:
herulach wrote:

A bit neccesity is the availability of hard side panniers. When I'm not at head office I need to be able to fit everything on the bike as there will be no where to keep gear - unfortunately this seems to rule out the usual 500 twins etc.


A little bit confused as to how this rules out the 500cc twins, as can't hard luggage be fitted to said bikes? (i sure do hope that's the case as i've pretty much just bought a 2nd hand top box and rack intending to fit it to my CB500!)

To be honest though, unless you're quite young like myself, you'd probably want another 100 cubes or so (i.e. a 600+ ) for the longer rides, as the extra power would make it "easier".


Top box isn't a problem, but I'd need panniers too.

As for a cbr, sports bikes really don't interest me, with me riding all the above are more than fast enough, if I wanted a toy id get a duke of something similar
____________________
YBR 125>FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

we will see what you say next year.

Ive seen so many people go out and buy bandits, tdm's, etc etc cos they are sensible bikes.
Only for them to sell it a few months later for something a bit more fun.

BTW a CBR600F is different to a CBR600 matey.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Get a bike you want to ride when you are commuting.
Remember, a bike is a toy aswell as a mode of transport.

...

Dont choose a bike purely for sensible reasons, you will only regret it.



I do agree with this. Personal experience is very much pointing that way, anyway! (and i have "given it time" - almost 2 damn years of my time Laughing )
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:48 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My duke Wink is slim, comfy, has a fairing and waterproof luggage, will do motorways all day all weather. Has good cycle parts and the cans can be raised for weekend scratching...so i'm told. Smile

Out of your choices(not ridden any of them) i'd look at the TDM.

Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:54 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the above, I'm more than happy to put up with a little less comfort in exchange for tons more fun.

But each to their own. To me, there is only one bike for your needs:

Honda Dullsville! (Deusville or whatever the real name is) Faired NTV650, comes with hard luggage as standard. Engine is absolutely solid. Shaft drive for ease of maintenance. All day comfort.

Downside would be that you can't remove the luggage but they get used pretty much exclusively as commuters/couriers bikes so I can't imagine it impedes filtering.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.


Last edited by c_dug on 01:01 - 05 Nov 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:59 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good tip given to me was filter with your knees out, if you're unsure how wide your load is. Wink
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

herulach
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant a KTM Duke, as opposed to a ducati, although an ST2 is a good idea, always assuming I can find one for sale.
____________________
YBR 125>FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:46 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any bike over a 250 will cope with long motorway riding.

Just get yourself to some dealers and sit on a few bikes and narrow the list down Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:11 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd shy away from singles if you're mile munching! My mate did London - Edinburgh on his and it was vibey and needed a rest every 80-90 miles or so.

I haven't weaned myself off inline 4 supersports from when I was 18 and since most of my bike's I've purchased were around1.3-2.3k including the blade, I have to say that mid-late 90's supersports will be more than capable of decimating the miles on the motorways (Do it all the time on the Blade and did it on the Ninja too).

Most sports 6's will cruise at about 6.5-7.5k rpm in top whilst staying at 75-80mph. Evidence would suggest that ZX6R's are very economical at this sort of speed. I used to get +45mpg on mine and the instigator (being a tight jock!) regularly got 50mpg on his Ninja 6 (we're talking F-J series bikes here).

Fitting gear on a sportsbike is an absolute doddle! Depending on how much that is. Office-gear, I just shove my clothes (weeks supply of shirts, trousers and shoes) in my Kriega rucksack or US20 tailpack and leave it at the office for the week. The upside now being that on my return journey, I can load up with 3 days worth of groceries.

But I'm on Cansa's boat. Sports 6's if you want a mixture of both. A grin on the weekend and not so much of a slog on your commute.

My managers thought I was a total nutcase believing that a FireBlade was a suitable london commuter! But as I've said, I've never had any other style of bikes so any non-supersports bike will feel alien to me. I had an 07 hornet as a hire bike. Whilst it had a smooth engine, that was it really! I seriously could NOT get on with it's ergonomics or ride. But since you're a new rider, there are endless selections. Just my two cents.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
A grin on the weekend and not so much of a slog on your commute.


Totally,
Last weekend I had to ride from Liverpool to Gloucester. The missus asked me "which way are we going?"
I replied with a very manly "My way"

We were on the bike for over 5hrs cos i chose to do the A-roads route Very Happy

Sporty enough for some twisties, and comfy enough for my iron but not to ache Very Happy


Also herulach,
Really stick with getting a fully faired bike. Wind blast will get right on your tits after 100 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
A good tip given to me was filter with your knees out, if you're unsure how wide your load is. Wink

On all the bike's I've had with panniers the rule of thumb I've applied is if the mirrors will fit through the gap then the rest of the bike will follow ok.

On all these bikes the panniers haven't been wider than the mirrors. I can't think of an exception to this rule, no doubt someone will come along to correct me.

On topic, with the budget a harder choice than it would first appear.
Based on my experience for motorway you certainly need fairing.
No doubt there are those who do it with a flyscreen, but I'm talking being able to sit for 200 miles or so at a reasonable (legal, certainly officer) speed.

Without the budget and based on the comments above about getting something for fun as well, my first thought was a VFR, say old 750 (some would qualify for the >15years classic insurance) or non VTEC 800 fitted with hard luggage. Commute ok with luggage during the week, take it off at weekends for a little freedom. Downside is maybe hard to find with luggage for your £2K budget (add another £500-1K and you'd have plenty of choice, e.g. here as for sale link it will expire).

That said, if you just want to munch miles then an old faired NTV or the Deauville will suffice (love shaft drive for the maintenance) and plenty in your budget. You'll need a Scottoiler or similar for mega miles on a chain driven bike. Also something like a '90, '91, '92 even '93 ST1100 can be had for under £2K, removable panniers on that (make sure has stainless/replaced exhaust collector box and check swingarm for corrosion).

As you're on a budget you might want to check actual insurance costs before finally making a choice.

HTH Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started motorway commuting this week, so my journey has gone from 10 miles on dual carriageways to 40miles up the M1 every day.
In preparation for this I sold my Honda SLR650 thumper and got a 900 Divvy - I've not looked back yet! Laughing

Already the weather for the past couple of days has been pretty bad, strong gusts of wind, hard rain, drizzle, stop-starts on the motorway, etc, etc. One constant for me is the bike, it's been brill. Not missed a beat and hardly gets blown around at all, very solid and stable. My SLR650 would have broken down by now as it was never that good in big puddles and heavy rain, plus I got seriously blown about on it!

The Divvy is 10 years old, has nearly 40k on it now and I got it for £900. I can just remove the luggage on it and easily keep up on a countryside spin. And if I really want to let rip, I just keep it in the upper half of the rev's and it leaves 99% of cars standing.

Get one! Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for a TDM900 rather than that 850 £2.5k will get you a nice one, £2k will get you a high mileage jobbie.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooty
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Without the budget and based on the comments above about getting something for fun as well, my first thought was a VFR, say old 750 (some would qualify for the >15years classic insurance) or non VTEC 800 fitted with hard luggage. Commute ok with luggage during the week, take it off at weekends for a little freedom. Downside is maybe hard to find with luggage for your £2K budget (add another £500-1K and you'd have plenty of choice, e.g. here as for sale link it will expire).


+1 Thumbs Up

I'm using my 98 VRF800 mainly for commuting - comfy, eats the miles, twist the grip and it's grin time Very Happy
____________________
Current Bike: 2018 Honda CRF250L
Ex-Bikes: 2002 Honda CG125, 1998 Honda VFR800, 2011 Honda CBR600F, 2013 Triumph Sprint GT SE, 2015 Kawasaki ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 115.79 Kb