 HD World Chat Champion
Joined: 16 Dec 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:24 - 07 Nov 2010 Post subject: My bike doesn't need choke to start! |
 |
|
Well, obviously its nice not to use choke to start as mine is tucked right away and it is more of a pain but it has got me thinking.
I have read a few places where it says if it starts without choke it is running too rich and I need to change the jetting (a few said pilot jet).
The carb was messed before I got the bike now the top end has totally been rebuilt with new clutch, carb jets, exhaust, air filter (standard before you ask).
We put the standard jets back in but raised the main jet to the requirements of the people who sold me my exhaust (PJ Motorcycle Engineers).
Also it started without choke when I bought it too.
Help  ____________________ Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3 |
|
 Wafer_Thin_Ham Super Spammer

Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:31 - 07 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Do you have any other problems with it at all?
Not all bikes need choke to start all of the time. It kind of varies.
If you have no other issues I really wouldn't worry about it. ____________________ My Flickr |
|
 HD World Chat Champion
Joined: 16 Dec 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:36 - 07 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=205005&highlight=
This.
But, as I have mentioned lots has been done since them. Just need to re-do the clucth this morning cos I dont think the spline is sitting in properly and then can ride it a bit. Obviously have to run it in for 200 miles but hopefully should be okay. Not actually legal to ride it for four weeks yet.
Thanks  ____________________ Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3 |
|
 Walloper Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:09 - 07 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
It is normal for an engine to require some fuel enrichment for 'cold' starting.
But... I regularly start the CG125 without choke only cracking the throttle open.
If I don't keep it going though it dies on idle and will always require choke to re-start then.
Maybe your carb/s drip/s a wee bit into the manifold when you shut off or something.
I would have the carbs set-up properly by a carb person. One who knows carburettors.
But if it doesn't worry you then why worry?
You can get an indication of mixture issues by looking at the plugs if you can be arsed.
https://www.classic-car-magazine.co.uk/articles/spark_plug_colour_guide_chart.html ____________________ W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair |
|
 ZRX61 Victor Meldrew
Joined: 05 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|