Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Spring 2011

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Spring 2011 Reply with quote

Or more to the point end of May and the start of June ... Going in to Europe for 14/20 day's ... Open on where I go ... As long as it has the sun ... Look for some one to travel with ...

Thinking of doing a crossing at Dover ... Ride down France in to Spain ... Then along the Med in to Italy ... Coming back through Hungary Germany and home ...
John933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Devans
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:53 - 01 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar plans except the other way round. France>Belgium>Germany>Switz>Alps>Italy ending at Lake Garda.

Will be end of May aswell mate.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

willis1337
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 02 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike will you be on?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:49 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

willis1337 wrote:
What bike will you be on?


I have no idea how that will make your mind up ... But it's a Honda CBR 1000 f ...
John933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be up for this. Was thinking of doing it a couple of years ago but nothing came to fruitation. Beginning of June would be good for me. Either of the routes suggested would be good. Currently on a Bandit 600 K2.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Name_goes_here
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:09 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it going to be camping?
____________________
Current: ZZR600

Previous: TDM850, ZX7R, TRX850,TDM850 (seriously underated bike!),XJ600 (owned for 6 hours), BMW K100, XTZ750, TDM850,GSXR600, FZR400 Streetfighter, XJ600 Streetfighter, ZXR750, FZR600 (Killed in the side of a car) And some little crappy things ridden round fields Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:19 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evans wrote:
I'd be up for this. Was thinking of doing it a couple of years ago but nothing came to fruitation. Beginning of June would be good for me. Either of the routes suggested would be good. Currently on a Bandit 600 K2.


If your interested keep in touch. I hope it will pick up after Christmas.
john933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:22 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

John933 wrote:

I have no idea how that will make your mind up ... But it's a Honda CBR 1000 f ...
John933

If you had said "XR650" I would have been a hell of a lot more interested... unless you are actually just very brave and planning a load of reasonably serious trail riding Razz.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name_goes_here wrote:
Is it going to be camping?


I'm taking a tent. but if the weather turns bad or any other reason. I'll be looking for a roof over my head.
john933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:36 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
John933 wrote:

I have no idea how that will make your mind up ... But it's a Honda CBR 1000 f ...
John933

If you had said "XR650" I would have been a hell of a lot more interested... unless you are actually just very brave and planning a load of reasonably serious trail riding Razz.


That's one thing I'm not into trail riding. Open road, Nice place's to see. I'm in to taking picture's and making film's of where I have been. I've put some mile's in on that Honda, and it's not let me down yet. She may be old but she got the leg's.
John933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grazoid
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect a lot of the high Alpine and Pyrenees passes to be still closed at that time of year and plan alternate routes accordingly.

Will still be wet in the higher areas so expect to see 4 seasons in one day... including Winter!
____________________
Gaffer Tape is like The Force.

It has a dark side and a light side and holds the Universe together!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 05 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I have this in mind.
John933

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112342960003720989592.0004943f895be4bd5ccb9&ll=44.653024,15.205078&spn=19.467057,30.19043&z=5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 06 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That route looks epic, John. It looks good. Just had a look at my schedule and I am not going to be available until Saturday the 7th of June 2011. Therefore, if you are planning on going before this, I do not think I would be able to come. Do you have an idea of costs involved?
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 08 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Isa wrote:
That route looks epic, John. It looks good. Just had a look at my schedule and I am not going to be available until Saturday the 7th of June 2011. Therefore, if you are planning on going before this, I do not think I would be able to come. Do you have an idea of costs involved?


I'm looking at the 27/28 May out and a ticket back round about 21 day's later. If you go Sea France or P&O they will let you change the crossing day's for a £10 fee. So it's more of less stab at a date and see how close you get to it. As for cost, It's how long is a piece of string. Two grand and you should bring some of that back. It's a lot to do with how you spend your money. If you are in to £50 a night hotel's and restaurant food all the time. Then two grand it's not going to cover it. But if like me you shop for food, and make pack up's. Eat a good meal once every two or three day's. You can make the money for a lot further. There's a difference between being tight and being stupid.

I must say this is the biggest one so far as in mile's. May to June I find to be a good time as the weather is not that hot that it is unbearable, And coming back you are travelling north and it should work out that you are travelling in to the warmer part of the year. I have some one else who is interested so there could be three of us. So at the moment the date's are pretty well fixed.
John933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

motobiker
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 08 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest... and its purely a suggestion you move your trip forward slightly.. leave on the 6th. that way you miss completely the school holidays, and you will find everything a lot cheaper. And more importantly, the roads considerably quieter. This being the 'off season' period between the end of the ski season.. and the beginning of the 'summer holiday peak'

This was what I did this past year.. and what i intend doing next.

Was a lot of snow on the mountains.. in the Alps. but crucially ALL the passes were open... and in typical germanic style. the roads were perfect.

I intend doing a repeat of this years trip.. the same only different. heading for the Vosges.. and Black forest.. then down into and across the Allgau.. across Austia into the Dolomites.. then.. well then, who knows.. this last trip on a whim I went into Slovenia. but next time.. I really don't know. I'll be making it up as I go along.

Btw.. despite there being so much snow.. it was HOT. really bizarre having to take of my jacket because of the heat.. on the Timmelsjoch while surrounded by snow.

I took the thermal liner for my textiles.. but only had it 'in' once or twice.

Once south of the massif.. in the dolomites, there was very little snow.. apart from on the mountain tops. very scenic and it was HOT.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/motobiker/Photo5.jpg

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/motobiker/Photo2.jpg

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/motobiker/Photo15.jpg
____________________
1999 R1100GS + 2006 F800S
(Nottingham)
Sooner or later opinions fade and the name on the tank matters not. I think that happens somewhere between 3rd and 4th gear. Enjoy the ride... everything else takes care of itself.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 08 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my trip's have been started round about that time. And i have found no problem with the school holiday's. I find that the road's are quiet and easy to get B&B or camping space. As it's the in between time of of the two breaks. The weather is usually good. And it's not got in to full season so the price's have not risen.

If I get the crossing on the Saturday morning. I can get to the south of France with in three day's no problem. So that's missing the work rush of mid week. As for the passes over the mountain's. it's a suck it and see job. Who will know now what it will be like then. All you can do is take what you need, and hope for the best.
John933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 09 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
i fancy going around a few ww2 sites about that time next year,but will see what happens


I've done the first war site's in northern France. Good day out and a lot to see.
John933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 10 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think I will be coming on this one then. If the dates end up being later then let me know.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 10 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Isa wrote:
I do not think I will be coming on this one then. If the dates end up being later then let me know.


I'll do that.
John933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nokiakeys
Token



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 15 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys really got me wanting to go.... I guess it's another thread to watch out for
____________________
CBT: 04/2010 -> Theory: 09/2010 -> MOD1 & 2: 10/2010 (That's right baby, both on same day)
Honda CBF125 -> Honda CB600FS Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Devans
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:48 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will confirm soon, as this trip is right up my street! If my mate gets a better tourer he'll no doubt be up for it too! he couldn't stand his SV650 to Scotland let alone this sort of trip Razz

Need to check work an funds etc!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:25 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up dating the map just about every week. See something I like and try and fit it in. I'll have to get a time table of how long people can stay out for, and try and work round that. So far I have a 8 am crossing in mind from Dover on the 28 May. Ride down to Dover the day before. Stay over night, to catch the early ferry.

At the moment the map is long. But don't worry. There are two option's, one cut down the distance, or extend the time. What ever we can work round that.

Every one is welcome. More the merrier.
John933
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one hell of a bridge. With Google as my friend I'm going to check that out.
John933

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98resund_Bridge
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.54 Kb