Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Chain and lock

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Chain and lock Reply with quote

I know, buy an almax!

I can't really be doing with spending £150 or shifting a 10kg chain and lock combo around with me every day, what alternatives do you guys use? I'm looking for something around 5kg max for a 1.5m chain and lock.

The area where I leave it is pretty quiet and doesn't get many chavs, main risk is mr white van man so I need something to stop it just being lifted away - it is not the sort of area where they can spend much time cropping a chain without alerting site security.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you park the bike in the same place every time try a ground anchor. There are some out there that are pretty discreet. That and a chain.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:02 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
If you park the bike in the same place every time try a ground anchor. There are some out there that are pretty discreet. That and a chain.


I have a thick railing and a few concrete support beams to chain it too, it's just the chain itself that I'm not sure about.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got disc lock and a normal strengthend chain and rather than lug it around everywhere I chain it around a lamp post when not in use. When out and about I take the disc lock. The bike gets left in a dark entryway outside work till midnight and so far so good..... Touch wood.

But I have Datatool alarm too that makes a god awful noise and flashes the lights.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, get a massively fucking loud alarm. So even if they do try to White Van it, she'll be screeching.

I'd say it might be worth getting 2 or 3 cheaper chains and chaining different parts of the bike to the railing. It works for me, the general thief consensus when they see all 3 chains, disclock and LED flashing at them is "fuck that shit...lets go nick something else"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I turn my bike off and put it on the stand. 15 seconds later it beeps twice. If the bike is put upright then the alarm goes off.

At the end of the day if someone is serious about having the bike then they will have it. The idea is to make it as hard for them as possible as a deterrent. I live in an area full of chavs and for the last 18 months all of the bikes I have had have stayed there.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

locked
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

FURBAR wrote:
At the end of the day ... do you play football and or call a spade a spade ... spade ... Cool Smile


https://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/lol_wut1.jpg
____________________
on the look out for my next bike....
CBT Passed - 13/09/09 Theroy Passed - 19/12/09 Mod 1 Passed 04/05/10 Mod 2 Passed 14/05/10 - Free to ride ANYTHING!
Motorcycles are perfectly safe as long as you remember they're dangerous.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for when you are at work?

Can you not take a chain and padlock with you and leave it at work?

You could use an disc lock with an alarm and a cheap chain and padlock.

When out and about with either of my bikes, I just take a disc lock. At work it is in a private car park and the bike is in the bike shelter, so I don't use anything else.

We have CCTV on site and I control that, so my bike ain't going anywhere, infact no-ones bike will be going anywhere will i am at work. Wink
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SirEdward
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:

We have CCTV on site and I control that, so my bike ain't going anywhere, infact no-ones bike will be going anywhere will i am at work. Wink


Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
"Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Pardot Kynes in "Appendix I: The Ecology of Dune""
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 11 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirEdward wrote:

Very Happy Thumbs Up


We've never lost a motorbike from our site, we're sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! ... Wink
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.9 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.29 Kb