|
|
| Author |
Message |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:25 - 10 Nov 2010 Post subject: Well that's me off the road for a bit! |
 |
|
Well I rode to work this morning, parked my bike up, locked it and then 2 hours later one of the guys from the car garage opposite my work tells me my bike is lying on it's side in the road.....
It turns out that some f**king as*hole has knocked my bike over AND run over part of the front. The front mudguards smashed and the front forks are slightly twisted! I can't ride it and now have to wait till tomorrow for the bike to be picked up and taken to my local bike garage and for the damage to be assessed!
No-one saw who or what hit it and I can't claim as only TPFT so that's probably gonna cost me at least £500 to repair! I knew I should have changed to fully comp when I renewed the insurance 2 weeks ago
To say I'm p****d off is an understatement
Sorry for the rant. ____________________ Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Willson |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Willson Traffic Copper

Joined: 26 Jun 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BumpingUglys |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BumpingUglys Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Oct 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:00 - 10 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I feel for you mate. Similar sketch happened to me a week ago.
As was pointed out to myself, it's worth checking to see if anyone has the area covered by CCTV. Might give you a fighting chance to catch up with the cowardly scum.
hope the damage ain't too bad and you're back up and running soon. Sucks to be off the road 'cos of someone elses twatiness.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dazbo666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dazbo666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:54 - 10 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Bad luck with the bike .... (and Willson beat me to it about the MIB ) ____________________ 1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:06 - 10 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the info about the MIB but from their claims guide it looks like you can't claim if you can't identify the 'offending' vehicle and in any event any claims can attract an excess of £300.00.
Anyway the car garage opposite my work has said I can leave the bike there overnight and the bike garage will pick it up around midday tomorrow.
I'll be leaving work now and getting the train home tonight, getting crushed, bumped and glared at meanwhile staring wistfully out the window at the bikers going home filtering through traffic and getting mad all over again
Safe riding. ____________________ Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Vman Scooby Slapper
Joined: 23 Sep 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paxovasa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paxovasa World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Crystal Tipps |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crystal Tipps Nova Slayer

Joined: 17 May 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:10 - 10 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sorry to hear your story & hope it doesn't cost you too much to fix. Why is it that some people think they can & should get away with trashing other people's stuff? This sort of thing really makes me mad!!
I wan't happy when I parked at work one day last week, and when I came to go home my bike had been moved because they needed to park a generator in the bike parking area, and it was a hell of a job to get my bike out.
(a) whoever it was must have physically picked up my bike because it had a cable lock on, although it wasn't attached to anything but the bike because there is nothing to attach it to in the bike parking area
(b) why did they think it was OK to do that? If a car was parked in the way they wouldn't simply shunt it over a bit, they would find out whose car it was, contact them & ask them to move it...why should a bike be any different?
Luckily my bike wasn't damaged, but somebody elses's was, and no one seemed to care  ____________________ First bike: 2002 CG. Now riding lime green 2008 ER6N. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| blurredman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 blurredman World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:38 - 10 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I know, such things I hate, esspecially if they do damage. Only today, I was walking from the train station and saw a Frence registered car backing into a dodgy space and proceeded to back up. Very slowly I could see he was backing into the front right wing of a car and I could see it slightly rise. Of course, once the driver realised what he did, he just drove away like shit off a shovel. There was no damage, but he could have had the cuirtisy to at least have a look at the car to show you are concerned, even if you didn't damage it. ____________________ CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| deleted111 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 deleted111 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| psychofox |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 psychofox Nova Slayer
Joined: 13 Apr 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| metalangel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 metalangel World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Feb 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 04:16 - 11 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sympathy for you.
My car got smashed and the front wheel wrenched sideways. £1500.
Guy on SV org just had his car bashed by some random twattock. He reckons £300 at least.
Guy across the road from me had his van totalled when something sideswiped it at terrific speed and sped off. If it's not a writeoff he's lucky as hell... but it's still his livelihood there with bent doors, flat tire and parts in three directions.
In all three cases, the car was parked legally, and in all three cases the perpetrator fucked off to their nest like the cowardly rat he or she is. ____________________ Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:17 - 11 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks guys, it sucks big time. Sorry to hear what you guys have also been through.
Slight update: I had to wheel it to the car garage opposite to overnight it last night and the front wont straighten fully so I may be looking at worse case scenario.... I'm currently waiting for the garage to come pick it up and let me know how bad it really is.
I know there are risks parking on the road especially round here and for the past year it's been relatively ok. I've had my bike moved despite disc lock and chain same as Crystal Tipps cause you can rarely get to lock it to a lamppost and sod trying to chain it round the monster trees on the street. I've had the tank scratched and clutch lever bent by what no one knows but those were little things. This I think they class as malicious damage and as usual no one saw a thing so it's not even worth reporting it to the police.
Slam, I don't yet know how much it'll cost, I should find out this afternoon. Before this I was considering trading up to a bigger restricted bike but I'll have to see, I was resigning myself to pottering about on this one till my restriction ends then getting a bigger unrestricted bike, 1 or 2 2hour lessons and be on my merry way.
Anyway at the moment the only upside is one of the nearby home owners has said I can park my bike in his front garden from now on for nothing. Apparently he used to be a biker way back when.
I'll update as and when and once again thanks for your support. ____________________ Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:33 - 11 Nov 2010 Post subject: UPDATE: Well that's me off the road for a bit! |
 |
|
Okay so I've just had the call back from the garage and.....it was as bad as I feared
My bike needs:
Both forks replaced
Chrome extension (?)
Handlebars
Grips
Fender (who told me to get a red bike)
Add 4hrs labour (approx £50 and hour) plus the collection charge and VAT and the grand total is.....£681.50
I could get a mate to help me get it sorted but that'll take at least a couple of weeks cos we both work and still cost me nigh on £500 plus for parts (the forks alone stretch to around £500 new and don't particularly want to chance second hand for them).
I've factored in the cost of another older larger bike (love ebay/auto trader) and the higher insurance costs if I get one or if I do as my mate suggests and get it sorted via insurance someway... and taken into consideration that the bike is only 1 yr old with 2000 and a bit on the clock I've told the garage to go ahead and I should possibly get it back Saturday if the parts come tomorrow if not Tuesday.
I know you seasoned riders/mechanically minded riders out there will probably think 'idiot', dozy mare, etc, store it and repair it over the next few weeks/use the money to get a bigger bike but since getting rid of my car it's now my main/only transport and I've grown quite attached. That said anything you say will be taken on board should this ever happen again.
I'm getting the work done by a reputable garage that builds and sells custom bikes (probably why the repair cost is high but I wont go there right now) and are recommended. As such I'll be able to ride it without worry and then sell it to the next learner at the end of my restriction with a clear conscience and full history albeit now for a lot helluva less than I'd like.
Anyway the motto I'm taking from this saga is.... when parking my bike treat it like a truck and park it bang smack in the middle and screw anyone else!  ____________________ Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Crystal Tipps |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crystal Tipps Nova Slayer

Joined: 17 May 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:15 - 11 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sorry to hear it's going to cost you a fortune to repair, all because some selfish idiot couldn't give a damn
What goes around comes around, so hope his/her wheels fall off...or they get in the way of a bus... ____________________ First bike: 2002 CG. Now riding lime green 2008 ER6N. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Hammers |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Hammers World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jul 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:11 - 12 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
After reading more and more of these sorts of things happening I'm now thinking it'd be a good idea to leave a camera running on the bike whenever it's parked up as well as while riding!
Sorry to hear that SweenyT, I too hope the culprit gets what's coming to him/her, and then some.
Good luck with all the repairs. ____________________ A Guide To Powerbands |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:24 - 12 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks mate.
Like the camera
I wont be parking on the road round here once I get him back cos a guy nearby has again today offered me the use of his front garden so I'll be taking him up on that and will bung him a couple of quid every now and again to say thanks (he doesn't want anything for it but it's the least I can do). ____________________ Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:26 - 16 Nov 2010 Post subject: FINAL UPDATE: |
 |
|
Well I got my bike back last night and am £675.00 lighter
I can't ride it now anyway cause on the way to get the bike I slipped in some mud, fell over and sprained my thumb! I think the universe is trying to tell me something.....
Anyway managed to ride the bike home and now it's back where it belongs so I can sit and stare at it out the window.
On the lighter side the garage stuck an L plate on the back of the bike cause they thought someone had ripped off mine I made then rip it off so fast they must have thought I was crazy
The end.... ____________________ Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ollieholt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ollieholt World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Apr 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:39 - 16 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
sweeny make sure your playing the lottery this week, karma fucking owes you man...
glad you got it back try every route for money, what about criminal justice? can you claim off them? ____________________
< This? Well this is just a day brightner. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SweenyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SweenyT Trackday Trickster

Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:58 - 17 Nov 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm definitely going to play the lottery this week, I think I'm about now owed something cause it sure as hell sucks to be me right now!
I've checked out the M.I.B and you need to know details of the 'offending vehicle' in order to claim. The traffic camera nearby doesn't pan to that bit of the street and there is no CCTV so it's all on me cause even on this busy street no-one saw a thing
Anyway I'm trying to stay calm and convinced myself I would have eased up on the riding anyway cause of the weather otherwise I'll end up going for the next poor sod who crosses me  ____________________ Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|