Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike Security

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

London_ed
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Bike Security Reply with quote

Hi, I have just passed my CBT and I am currently looking for a 125 to build up my experience on the roads.

I live in London and it has just dawned on me that my local council (Westminster) charges motorcycles for parking! Surprised

Also when I do pay for a motorcycle permit I understand I will not be able to park in front of my door. Instead I will have to use a designated motorcycle bay which is not on my street but two blocks away by the main road. The whole area is built up with terrist housing and a few flats so no garage for me.

My concern is that this motorcycle bay will not necessarily be safe and if I do buy a decent, bike it will be open to nightly attempts of theft until somebody actually succeeds.

What kind of security would you recommend?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome.

Does your property have a small front garden or a rear garden, that you can park the bike in?
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

London_ed
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motorcycle bays have metal hoops in the ground to pass chains etc through. And yes We have a small garden a the front of the home but there is a small wall that divides this garden and the garden itself has plants and roses that I do not want to damage. It is small enough to walk over but too tall to try and lift the motorbike over.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live in ground flat?
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a gate or a gap in the wall to walk through?

I would rather have my bike parked in my front garden then having a few plants. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Westminster a resident's parking permit let you park in the on-street parking with all the cars. As this ran along the street outside the houses I forked out the money for a permit rather than keep my bike in the nearest bay, which was at the end of the street. My neighbours were pretty decent about leaving me a big enough gap so I could park by the only lampost and thus chain my bike to it.

I don't know if things have changed now? If you've got residents car parking outside your house, it could be worth looking at.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

London_ed
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
When I lived in Westminster a resident's parking permit let you park in the on-street parking with all the cars. As this ran along the street outside the houses I forked out the money for a permit rather than keep my bike in the nearest bay, which was at the end of the street. My neighbours were pretty decent about leaving me a big enough gap so I could park by the only lampost and thus chain my bike to it.

I don't know if things have changed now? If you've got residents car parking outside your house, it could be worth looking at.
s

Well I currently have a residents permit for my car. I have noticed another guy parks his moped in the car bays at the weekend but moves it to the motorcycle bay during the week. I have been looking on the Westminster website and its not to clear for me so I will give them a call. A bike permit costs £100 for the year??? while the car is 120 for the year.

I remember some bikers were protesting about Westminster's attitude to motorcyclists last year. I think I will have to join them.

Anyways, I wanted to know what kind of locks, chains, alarms do people here use if they have to park their bikes on the main road?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I lived in London and rode a 125 I'd put it in my hallway.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

London_ed wrote:
[
Well I currently have a residents permit for my car. I have noticed another guy parks his moped in the car bays at the weekend but moves it to the motorcycle bay during the week. I have been looking on the Westminster website and its not to clear for me so I will give them a call. A bike permit costs £100 for the year??? while the car is 120 for the year.


Ah, it certainly used to be that while you could have 2 vehicles listed on your permit, you could only keep one there at a time. So having a car, you're probably stuffed.

And yes, bike permits cost about the same as cars. Think it was about £80 when I lived there, some 7 years ago.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

FURBAR wrote:
You can't park outside even with a permet WTF !!!! .... do the bays have solid place for a chain ... Question Smile


Whats this? First to post and to blow a noob?

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/be1ly/new/son-i-am-disappoint.jpg
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

FURBAR wrote:

Anyway .. your only jeolous caus i beat you to it !!! Embarassed Laughing


Sigh. Your right. Saddly I was out having a life which took me away from the pc. But dont worry sugar plum I came back as soon as I could because I know you'd only have been sad (der) without me.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almax 3 / Almax 4 / Pragmasis 16mm chain through the frame of the bike to an immovable object. Yes, they are expensive, but they are the only chains i trust.

Anything less and bolt cutters'll have it off quickly and quietly.

An alarm is helpful in addition to the physical security - just draws anyone who gives a stuff's attention for a second (few people i must admit, but it only takes one good samaritan), makes the thief feel nervouser, and if you can hear the alarm in your house, win! Wouldn't rely on one.

Datatag/AlphaDot will increase the faff factor of selling on the parts of your bike for the professional thief. And the risk of keeping the parts, as they can't just grind off the frame number and say it's their bike if cops raid them.

Old cover if you can be bothered as no one knows if it's worth nicking or not til they've looked underneath, or seen you park.

That's should cover most to all of the security items i'd consider for overnight parking.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi London_ed, in addition to a chain, bike cover, datatag etc don't forget a disc lock.

I live and work in London and don't go anywhere without my chain and/or disc lock. You can get an alarmed disc lock. I sometime only use a disc lock if I'm not going to be anywhere for less than an hour or parked outside a mates house and I can see my bike as it won't stop anyone picking the bike up and taking it but you might hear it go off depending on where your bike is parked.

Oh and be careful parking on the streets in London as well cause a**holes that can't drive like to knock bikes over now and again and drive off! (Sorry recent bad experience Crying or Very sad)
____________________
Current ride - 2005 Suzuki GSX-R600 K4 - 2x 2014 Honda NC750s long term courtesy bikes - 2003 Fazer FZ6 written off as idiot reversed into me - 2009 YBR125 - still have from new
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 16 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock down the wall and squish mummy's roses. Thats what I'd do Laughing
____________________
Rusty '02 Vito Camper + CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.73 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 101.83 Kb