Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Sodding weather...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

jemdna
Nova Slayer



Joined: 27 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Sodding weather... Reply with quote

Rain I can deal with, freezing cold is bareable but I absoloutely hate this fog.

The roads around here seem full of American drivers who feel compelled to drive around with full beam on at 10mph and make it a nightmare to ride anywhere!

Usually at this point americans will jump in explaining how they drive fine... However I can assure you that 2 out of 3 times I see a car driving on the wrong side/full beam on constantly/10mph it is an American...

Fog please go away....

Bry
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't understand why so many people are unable to put dipped beam lights on.
I try to flash or toot at them if possible, it's really dangerous at junctions, you can sometimes see lights of a car behind the one on silly sidelights which is barely visible.

Can only think they don't drive at night and don't know if their lights are on properly or not.
There's a borderline area in 'mistyness' but yesterday was gloomy and thick as hell but saw several coming towards me on sidelighhts.
They must have thought "It's foggy I'll put the lights on" but do they not know sidelights make no difference?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fog was a bitch today on the motorway. had my full beams on, oh noes!

Okay really its because it was actually quite thick and only 1 light is on if its dipped..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2wheelsteve
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on now the fog looks better with full beam, seriously though there are things that relect you see better with full beam that you wouldnt notice on dip, a lot of the time early hours in fog I do use my full beam though there are rare times I dont, thing is you dont get blinded with oncoming in thick fog.

Fog scares me when there are vehicles coming from behind cause you wonder have they seen my little rear light. Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
Ride Safe
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

To drive in fog on main beam is just stupid. It makes it no end harder to see where you are going. As the moisture in the air just reflects the light every where.... Far better on dip Thumbs Up

You need low flat beams to light the road and no where else....

I really hate the prats who fail to turn their rear fogs off when it clears. O when they are stuck in town traffic..... Twisted Evil
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

High beam reflects back into your face when it is foggy, you will see further with normal main beam. Side lights are just silly, don't think I've ever used mine.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely best on dip, however sometimes on bends full beam is helpful at night
I find best of all is dipped beam with full beam filament on too by holding the flash button in - only used briefly at tricky spots as I was worried it might fuse something running like that for long.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know they are americans?
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Sometimes I hold the pass light through a corner to get a better view around and of the road surface and stuff.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I have full lights on is for others to be able to see me easier, just like in normal daytime.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main beam rather than high beam though?
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloke
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

L4Isoside wrote:
The reason I have full lights on is for others to be able to see me easier, just like in normal daytime.


If you are one of the motorcyclists riding around with full beam on all the time. You sir are a cock of the highest degree.

The numbers of times I come around a corner late at night being blinded by some tosspot with full beams on his motorbike.

It doesn't make it easier to see you, it makes it harder to see anything at all.

Fog lights should only be used when foggy and necessary.

I.E. rears for when you cannot see anyone a fair distance behind you (chuffing pointless having them on when i'm behind you and see you, expect a good few flashes from me if you don't turn them off, peasouper or not) fronts when your headlights are insufficient to read road markings.

Rain or cold weather (why the hell people put them on when it's clear but freezing cold I have no idea!!?) does not equal fog.
____________________
2008 VFR800 VTEC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 20 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread brought back a memory of something funny I saw the other day. 6am, dark and fairly foggy. An old crappy korean car was in the left hand lane with his full beams, fogs and interior saloon light on, doing about 35mph. Bless him, I think he was afraid of the dark!
____________________
1977 Honda CG125
2002 Ducati Monster S4 (currently restoring)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was in a mates car earlier approaching a roundabout, bike was coming around the roundabout and you could hardly see it because of the fog and that was from 15 feet away! Maybe sometimes full beam is good when in the fog. I have never had to ride in the fog, not sure how I will take it when I do.
____________________
Bikes Past: Yamaha Aerox (sold) Yamaha R125 (written off)
Bikes Current: Honda VFR 400 (awaiting restoration) Honda CB600f F-4
Theory passed July 21st Mod1 passed August 3rd Mod 2 passed 26th August
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:09 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Can't understand why so many people are unable to put dipped beam lights on.
I try to flash or toot at them if possible, it's really dangerous at junctions, you can sometimes see lights of a car behind the one on silly sidelights which is barely visible.

Can only think they don't drive at night and don't know if their lights are on properly or not.
There's a borderline area in 'mistyness' but yesterday was gloomy and thick as hell but saw several coming towards me on sidelighhts.
They must have thought "It's foggy I'll put the lights on" but do they not know sidelights make no difference?


Well, if it's an old enough car, a standard fog light will be 1 rear. So... really no use to be honest. But in this day and age when four fog lights are standard and on some cars unable to turn off (therefore making you look like a tit) that these are the days of hardly any fog.

Just a phase, it'll pass and won't come back for years, around here anyway Rolling Eyes
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloke
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
doggone wrote:
Can't understand why so many people are unable to put dipped beam lights on.
I try to flash or toot at them if possible, it's really dangerous at junctions, you can sometimes see lights of a car behind the one on silly sidelights which is barely visible.

Can only think they don't drive at night and don't know if their lights are on properly or not.
There's a borderline area in 'mistyness' but yesterday was gloomy and thick as hell but saw several coming towards me on sidelighhts.
They must have thought "It's foggy I'll put the lights on" but do they not know sidelights make no difference?


Well, if it's an old enough car, a standard fog light will be 1 rear. So... really no use to be honest. But in this day and age when four fog lights are standard and on some cars unable to turn off (therefore making you look like a tit) that these are the days of hardly any fog.

Just a phase, it'll pass and won't come back for years, around here anyway Rolling Eyes


Ford Focus 09 - 1 rear fog and 2 x front fogs.

It is only there to help others to see you, once you're seen (the car isn't still accelerating into the back of you) you can turn it off again.

if someone keeps it on when im behind them in fog, I will full beam flash the idiot.
____________________
2008 VFR800 VTEC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloke wrote:


if someone keeps it on when im behind them in fog, I will full beam flash the idiot.


Indeed, but will they know what you're trying to tell them? If they have their fogs on when they need not in the conditions, you'll probably find that they really shouldn't be driving if they don't know how to twist a knob (or flick a switch) and in that case, I think they'd think that you were just some angry man flashing his lights. If they are as stupid as i've described, they'd only be wondering if you'd had an argument with your partner or something Cool
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloke
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:26 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol true. Most people I've flashed get the idea and i've front fog flashed maybe 1 that didn't understand straight away.

Just like momentarily turning all lights on and off to let the person behind he doesn't have his turned on at night.
____________________
2008 VFR800 VTEC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:18 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Blurredman"] Indeed, but will they know what you're trying to tell them)/quote]

Not a chance.....

I was riding home in heavy traffic and a idiot in a Merc had no lights on. Was being flashed by everyone. As we pulled up to some lights he had to stop. So as I can along side I stopped Flipped lid up and tapped on window. made sign to ask for window to be wound down a bit... He just looks blank at me. So I start shouting "no lights on", still blank look. Car in front moves, so I pull in front and start pointing at the lights..... Still blank look. Bloke in car in next lane winds his window down and say... I guess he's deaf, dumb & blind if he can't understand you.
I just gave up and hope he got pulled.... Twisted Evil
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty fog on Friday night I did two and half hours of it or so.
I tried dipped and full beam a few times and full beam definitely worked better. I was in van so was a chunk higher up compared to my lights.
Sure I was a bit more 'blinded' by the fog, but I could also make out detail further away, which is what matters, after all.
L4Isoside wrote:
The reason I have full lights on is for others to be able to see me easier, just like in normal daytime.

Or make it harder and harder to judge distance/speed of you from the front, too Smile.

In the aforementioned fog I saw a bike right up the arse of a truck - brake light at about the same level and it was very hard to tell they were there in some situations.

I do use 'running lights' in the day, but avoid dipped beam - to my mind there are better ways to be seen if you want to be that don't compromise safety in other ways.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially like it when aforementioned fog decides to freeze onto the outside of your visor. Popping my visor open and riding home with a little wind chill seems to improve the visibility issues, with the exception of making my eyes leak a little.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloke wrote:

If you are one of the motorcyclists riding around with full beam on all the time. You sir are a cock of the highest degree.

The numbers of times I come around a corner late at night being blinded by some tosspot with full beams on his motorbike.

It doesn't make it easier to see you, it makes it harder to see anything at all.

Fog lights should only be used when foggy and necessary.

I.E. rears for when you cannot see anyone a fair distance behind you (chuffing pointless having them on when i'm behind you and see you, expect a good few flashes from me if you don't turn them off, peasouper or not) fronts when your headlights are insufficient to read road markings.

Rain or cold weather (why the hell people put them on when it's clear but freezing cold I have no idea!!?) does not equal fog.


I thought my first post made it sound like I usually ride round with dipped beams....

Well I do

But the fog yesterday on the motorway was awful and I didn't fancy someone changing lanes in front of me. (That and the bike has no fog lights)

EDIT: To clean things up, usually ride with 1 light (dipped beam, I cannot turn it off or change it) Yesterday in the fog had main/full beam, so both lights on.

But that was only because of the really poor visibility.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloke
Crazy Courier



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

L4Isoside wrote:
Bloke wrote:

If you are one of the motorcyclists riding around with full beam on all the time. You sir are a cock of the highest degree.

The numbers of times I come around a corner late at night being blinded by some tosspot with full beams on his motorbike.

It doesn't make it easier to see you, it makes it harder to see anything at all.

Fog lights should only be used when foggy and necessary.

I.E. rears for when you cannot see anyone a fair distance behind you (chuffing pointless having them on when i'm behind you and see you, expect a good few flashes from me if you don't turn them off, peasouper or not) fronts when your headlights are insufficient to read road markings.

Rain or cold weather (why the hell people put them on when it's clear but freezing cold I have no idea!!?) does not equal fog.


I thought my first post made it sound like I usually ride round with dipped beams....

Well I do

But the fog yesterday on the motorway was awful and I didn't fancy someone changing lanes in front of me. (That and the bike has no fog lights)

EDIT: To clean things up, usually ride with 1 light (dipped beam, I cannot turn it off or change it) Yesterday in the fog had main/full beam, so both lights on.

But that was only because of the really poor visibility.


That's fair enough Smile Thumbs Up I did say "if" Wink
____________________
2008 VFR800 VTEC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2wheelsteve
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright clear day Im usually full beam, night dipped where other traffic but full beam at every opportunity. fog full beam to catch reflective signs etc and sometimes flick between full and dipped to get as much road info as possible, they say in the day you should ride with dip, yeah right sure I will,
____________________
Ride Safe
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.4 Kb