Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Crash! Insurance "mistake" - leg to stand on? Poli

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 19 Nov 2010    Post subject: Crash! Insurance "mistake" - leg to stand on? Poli Reply with quote

My beloved motorcycle has now been written off, following my being hit by a car (well, pushed into tarmac by a car).

I'm astonished that the repair bill came to 3500 with my insurers approved repairs, when I feel I could have replaced the broken bits, with ebays help, for under maybe 650. The biggest hit was the bent forks, which didn't seem bent at all to me, and I wonder whether I'm being scammed here.

1) In a way, I regret following the official channels because now I'm going to be royally shafted. Why? Becuase I unthinkingly valued the bike at 1k only - didn't expect it would end up the oil-leaking mess it did. Now I've read the small print and, with the total loss, Bennetts won't offer more than my (idiotic) estimate of value. Do I have any leg to stand on - in terms of disputing the value I declared - or do I just bend over here? The bike (new tyre, exhaust, <15,000 clocks, is worth at least 1400-1600 and I know they will take the piss and offer 500 quid.

2) Am I right in thinking that if the police wish to pursue matters, I would need to have seen a NIP within 14 days? I can honestly say I was the innocent party - but because the matter involved filtering, I'm a little worried it could be seen otherwise. I have received a questionnaire, to provide a witness statement, as have my two witnesses, in which I can make a case against the driver it seems - but I'm a bit worried the police are setting a honeytrap here. Am I worrying over nothing? Is this standard policy? Just lost my bike, don't want to lose license - I wasn't speeding or anything.


3) I am now bikeless, and I feel like something is missing in my life. The car gets me about, but there's no feel for it, no pride or interest. It just moves, chugs along, and that's it. I keep looking at other bikers and feeling wistful because I know, realistically, given the turn the weather is about to take, I wom't be looking for another two wheeler until well into next year.


I have to admit, I am not the skilled rider I liked to think I was. I have had two accidents in two years, both filtering- related. The first I feel I was significantly to blame for, as my riding was immature. However, since then, my riding has been very mature - you might say boring - and I considered myself a competent novice. I could see the first accident happening, because I was riding like a tit, and when it did, it woke me up. However, the second came completely out of the blue, and my riding had been impeccable up to then- yet it still ended the same way. Crazy.

As for me, perfectly fine. Not a fucking scratch. That's the double edge sword up sub 15mph collisions - you end up with a fucked bike but no injuries to pay for the fucking damage. A broken arm would have been enough for me to screw over the driver, as it is, nothing but bruises ahd sores.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Livefast123
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:38 - 19 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need to be NIP'd when the offence is in relation to an RTC however I wouldn't be worried at all if you've recieved a witness questionnaire. That would throw up all types of legal escapes if they asked for a witness statement then prosecuted you ie no caution / chance for legal advice etc which they would have to give if you believed that an offence had been committed and wanted to ask significant questions etc

As for the valuation, as you put £1000 down then I believe you will be royally shafted Thumbs Down Best thing to do would be to ring the insurer and enquire.......can't hurt Thumbs Up
____________________
Current ride - Yamaha MT-07
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 19 Nov 2010    Post subject: Re: Crash! Insurance "mistake" - leg to stand on? Reply with quote

You said it was worth £1k, that could have made insurance cheaper because that's the maximum they have to pay out in the event of a claim. Of course it's rather irksome they generally value the bike lower than you, yet base your premium on the higher figure.
They may not use it, but not much you can do if they don't.

Are you trying to claim off the other partiy's insurance? If so, I'd be tempted to leave claiming on your own and ask to keep the bike, though it looks like it may be too late.

Note if you do claim off the other party's insurance, you will get the full value.

Bent forks is quite possible, or maybe they put that in because they weren't sure and it would have cost them a decent bit of cash to take them off and have a look in the first place.

Did the poilce attend the scene? If not, you've got to worry about the other driver reporting you. I don't think the 14 day rule would apply, but not sure on that.

It's hard to tell but it sounds like you're equating 'confident sensible rider' with 'good filterer'. Unfortunately that's not really quite the same - filtering does need extra-good observations and situational awareness as well as a portion of luck too, of course.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 19 Nov 2010    Post subject: Re: Crash! Insurance "mistake" - leg to stand on? Reply with quote

1) As said, if you're claiming off the car's insurance, then you should get the value of your bike. If not, well, you could argue that work you've done to the bike has improved its value (but they might say you should ahve informed them) - small improvments can make a big difference at that sort of price; or maybe that as there are no similar bikes around now at that price, the market has firmed up a little (and you should get enough money to replace the bike). Or you may just have to suck it down - I'd recommend adding something to the value when declaring at the start rather than playing it down so you've got something to shout about later!

BUT whichever way it goes, never accept the first offer. Their job is to save themselves money by payign as little as you'll accept.

2) They've got 6 months to put charges before court; as said if they've got you to give a statement not under caution, I'd not worry.

3) OK, so you know you don't want a new bike over winter. Start saving up now. Replace any damaged gear now as sales are on. Start looking for your perfect bike after Christmas, maybe Feb when it's still horrible out and people might be keen to sell. The cheque might be through by then, too. Anyway, give you something to look forward too.



On the bright side, you're OK and the rest is just money. Grin and move on Karma Mr. Green
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I go about claiming off his insurers directly?
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

steppen22 wrote:
How would I go about claiming off his insurers directly?


You contact them and set out the following:
You were involved in an incident with their policy holder (pol number xx) on xx date
You were travelling in accordance with the highway code when their policy holder did xxxx which caused an accident, thereby their policy holder was at fault and liable under the Road Traffic Act
The accident has damaged the bike beyond economical repair with an estimate of xxx
The bike is valued at xxx in terms of replacement
You have other uninsured losses, leathers helmet etc valued at xx for replacement
You wish to pursue damages to the amount of xx (the value of bike and leathers etc) from them under the conditions of the RTA
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either tell your insurance you don't want them to deal with it and you'll be chasing it yourself (then you ring up his lot, say EDITED: wot arry beat me to!)

Or - get your own solicitor on it. There's plenty in the bike magazines who specialize in bike crashes - if nothing else, they'll listen about the incident and tell you if it's a case worth chasing.
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you buy the bike back for cheap?
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) To an extent, yes, you just bend over. You chose to value it at a lower level to take advantage of cheaper premiums. You can't buck the system, pay less but then demand more when the worst happens! That said, the insurance company will still try and screw you - as others have said, best to keep on arguing the toss with them until you get a reasonable figure within the bounds of what's possible from your premium.

2) NIP's can be issued verbally, and don't really count for much anyway in RTC's which are often investigated long after the event.

Don't worry about filtering as long as you were doing so in a reasonable manner. It isn't an offence of itself, it's only a problem if you're doing it in a careless/dangerous manner, or speeding, etc.

I've personally stood in the witness box and tested this in a court case - the defence tried to challenge my account by saying that filtering is inherently dangerous and I was thus at fault, the bench and clerk supported my interpretation that it's legal.
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing the Highway Code has to say about filtering is:

The Highway Code section 88 wrote:


You can't overtake the vehicle stopped nearest to a pedestrian crossing (Rule 191), but that's about it. There's nothing else in the Highway Code or case law that I'm aware of.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 21 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

it wont matter what value you put you bike at as long as its deemed to be the other persons fault. I know this because I valued my bike at £1500, and when the lady crashed into me and wrote it off they said the bike was worth £1650. The salvage was forth £150 so they are giving me £1500 and the bike back.

Don't worry about it. Just see what they offer and then go from there. If its coming off the other persons insurance its fine. Its when your claiming for a fire of theft etc they will only pay out what you valued it at less the excess.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.43 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 75.79 Kb