Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


First proper off!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: First proper off! Reply with quote

I was riding from work to uni on Friday, taking the first exit from a roundabout, so I am meant to be in the left hand lane, just as I come off the exit I hear a loud horn, my arse drops, I sped up and next thing I know a great, big fuck off wagon is next to me, part in my lane, part in the right and cuts in to my lane again, as he does this he clips my bars and send me kissing the concrete, I felt like the pope!

I get up and the cheeky fucker tries to tell me that I am at fault, for not getting out of his way! Luckily I have two witnesses that will testify against the prick!

So for my troubles I have a bike I can't ride, some cracked ribs, road rash and whiplash etc. What a lovely little early Birthday pressie! Myt hemet is going on a plinth, I think I love it!
____________________
If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would fart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Re: First proper off! Reply with quote

superdaaan wrote:
I was riding from work to uni on Friday, taking the first exit from a roundabout, so I am meant to be in the left hand lane, just as I come off the exit I hear a loud horn, my arse drops, I sped up and next thing I know a great, big fuck off wagon is next to me, part in my lane, part in the right and cuts in to my lane again, as he does this he clips my bars and send me kissing the concrete, I felt like the pope!

I get up and the cheeky fucker tries to tell me that I am at fault, for not getting out of his way! Luckily I have two witnesses that will testify against the prick!

So for my troubles I have a bike I can't ride, some cracked ribs, road rash and whiplash etc. What a lovely little early Birthday pressie! Myt hemet is going on a plinth, I think I love it!


Sucks mate.

Bruised my ribs last tuesday from a crash in the ice, sneezing is hell, enjoy! Important thing is that you have all of your bits still attached and are in one piece, hope you recover quickly.

Obligatory paint diagram with google maps is a must Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red line me, Blue line Wagon

https://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww13/danielmarkpearson/RTA.png
____________________
If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would fart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are supposed to give way to the right :S

There's no filter lane, I'd say you are in the wrong, and lucky that you didn't get squished.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did! I was in the filter lane to turn left. doesn't show on maps, but he was coming from the opposing side, he just flew round!
____________________
If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would fart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street view doesn't show a filter lane, unless it is out of date.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
Street view doesn't show a filter lane, unless it is out of date.


must be, filter lane to turn left only is there. Also, if it was my fault, we would have had the accident on the roundabout itself, it wasn't, was about 40 yards off the roundabout.
____________________
If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would fart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the map you show it looks like your fault to me, not saying it is but according to that diagram it is.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, a left turn only lane is not the same as a filter lane.

If you had to cross a dashed line to get onto the r'bout, it is not a filter lane.

Linky to googlemaps - does it still look like this?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:34 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
Just to clarify, a left turn only lane is not the same as a filter lane.

If you had to cross a dashed line to get onto the r'bout, it is not a filter lane.

Linky to googlemaps - does it still look like this?


Yeah, my bad there.

I have two witnesses to say it wasn't my fault (independent - no relatives), and the accident happened by the car wash if you follow maps round to Park Parade, so a fair distance. He was going too fast, and wanted me out of the way.
____________________
If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would fart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww13/danielmarkpearson/Accident.png

the accident happened where the red marker is. So I've built up speed and I'm well away from the roundabout by then. Irrespective of which he should be in the right hand lane anyway.
____________________
If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would fart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:47 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is correct I would tend to agree with you - why wasn't he in that lane? It's the natural line coming off the r'bout for him too, especially if he was going swiftly. What did he say about that?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very local.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
If that is correct I would tend to agree with you - why wasn't he in that lane? It's the natural line coming off the r'bout for him too, especially if he was going swiftly. What did he say about that?


No idea! he was too busy trying to blame me, when one of my witnesses came over and started arguing with him. I was shaken up and just wanted to exchange details and get the hell out of there!
____________________
If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would fart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue the cnut for everything he's got, then sue him some more until you own his grandkids. Try this lot for starters.

Every scrap of damage to your bike, your gear, your watch, phone, whiplash, physio, and psychological distress.

Make sure you're reported it to the rozzers, and ask them whether they'll be charging him for careless or dangerous driving.

It's good news that you're not badly injured, but his next victim might not be so lucky.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

salty21
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sue the cnut for everything he's got, then sue him some more until you own his grandkids. Try this lot for starters.

Every scrap of damage to your bike, your gear, your watch, phone, whiplash, physio, and psychological distress.

Make sure you're reported it to the rozzers, and ask them whether they'll be charging him for careless or dangerous driving.

It's good news that you're not badly injured, but his next victim might not be so lucky.


i understand why you would want to make him pay. Problem is, that kind of ever increasing mentality is why insurance is getting more and more expensive for everyone.
Its fair enough to claim for the bike and gear, but if the injury you sustained isnt going to prohibit you from working and earning, then just put it down to bad luck, ya know, like they did for years before all this claiming and suing mallarky took off.

not directly aimed at anyone here, just my general opinion. I really dont agree with all this compensation jive and would only ever claim myself if it actually had a serious impact on my life, not just cuts and grazes.
____________________
04 NSR 125(sold) Sad ---- 03 CBR 600rr(sold)Sad Smile ----90 pan euro ST1100 'Shocked' ----02 CG 125 Smile
94 CB400 Super Four ---- 2000 VTR SP1 (sold) ---- 08 ninja p8f(sold, meh) ----05 CBR600rr Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

In principle I agree with you, but it has to be on a case-by-case basis.

In this case, I'd prefer that a bloodthirsty nutjob who from the sounds of it deliberately drove into a bike for no better reason than that they were pissed off at having 5 seconds added to their journey should - at a bare minimum - have a big "at fault" insurance payout against their name.

Then he'll get hit with bigger premiums later[*], and rightly so.

[*] Even if he keeps his protected NCD, he'll still be higher risk.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2wheelsteve
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear your up and walking. shit that must have been a scare, life saver would have helped you recon or not, keep smiling Thumbs Up Very Happy
____________________
Ride Safe
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 22 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken ribs suck, mine went crack almost three years ago but they still hurt.
Sue him for all you can.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 23 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the 'claiming' type, however in this case he acted in negligent manner that could have cost me my life. As it goes I'm not going to pursue a charge of dangerous driving, like my witnesses want me too, as I feel it was a genuine mistake, I won't say accident, as that sound like something that was unavoidable - this was totally avoidable!

He overtook me in two lanes, even though the right hand lane was free and if I had not braked when he weas along side me I would have clipped the wagon further up, and could have gone underneath the wheels, just because he was in a rush?!

I genuinely had trouble sleeping after thinking about it properly last night and my ribs are causing me major discomfort. My gear is fucked and my bike needs repair. I think I do deserve some compensation for that!

Worst bit is I lost my Omega watch in the accident, I'm probably not gonna get anything for that as I don't have the receipt (it was a present for my 18th, I'm now 27) I'm fucking gutted!!!
____________________
If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would fart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Xdwardo500
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 23 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very bad luck mate. As a biker you like to think you're aware of your surroundings and in control with "what happens to you" on a bike... this kinda thing puts the fear in me, but i guess you just have to block it out eh... get well soon
____________________
Lincoln, England
2011 Vespa GTS 300 Super
Riding Since 2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 23 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xdwardo500 wrote:
Very bad luck mate. As a biker you like to think you're aware of your surroundings and in control with "what happens to you" on a bike... this kinda thing puts the fear in me, but i guess you just have to block it out eh... get well soon


Cheer mate! As soon as the bike is up and running I'll be straight back out! I always thought about coming off the bike at speed, or being hit by a car, but if I am honest I never even considered HGV's! This has shit me up a little, but not enough to stop me from riding Very Happy
____________________
If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would fart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 23 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

superdaaan wrote:


Should have worked out he was a dickhead when he cut across the top of the roundabout Laughing
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)


Last edited by truslack on 11:57 - 23 Nov 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

superdaaan
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 23 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:

Should have seen worked out he was a dickhead when he cut across the top of the roundabout Laughing


Have some Karma that made me piss, you twat - my ribs are killing me!
____________________
If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would fart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Xdwardo500
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 23 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:


Should have seen worked out he was a dickhead when he cut across the top of the roundabout Laughing


Isn't every driver a dickhead? Or at least a potential dickhead? Mr. Green
____________________
Lincoln, England
2011 Vespa GTS 300 Super
Riding Since 2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.12 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.05 Kb