Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Going no handed.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ever go no handed?
Yes
81%
 81%  [ 61 ]
No
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
A blue chicken
12%
 12%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 75

Author Message

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Going no handed. Reply with quote

Do you ever roll along with no hands on the bars?

Often go down the other side of the dartford crossing with my hands on the tank, challenge myself to see how far I can get before holding on again. Obviously only when it's quiet.

Ever do it?
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My duc has a fast idler. I have been known to put my hands behind my head and relax a while. Much to the amusement of my pillion. Mr. Green Rolling Eyes
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only doing for a short time on the ER before the bars start wobbling from side to side.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been known to ride no handed, gives me a chance to have a stretch Wink


ms51ves3 wrote:
I can only doing for a short time on the ER before the bars start wobbling from side to side.


Something not right with your bike.
Check to make sure you haven't lost a weight of the wheel and or tyre pressure Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).


Last edited by Paxovasa on 13:28 - 27 Nov 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird Mark. Both my bikes track nice.
No issues with tyres, bearings, suspension or ride height?
Maybe try it at a faster speed.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:30 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only laying on the tank with my feet on the pillion seat and flapping my arms whilst overtaking.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
I can only doing for a short time on the ER before the bars start wobbling from side to side.


Sounds same as the GS.. lol one of the bearings was fried and the weights had come off Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:
I have been known to ride no handed, gives me a chance to have a stretch Wink


ms51ves3 wrote:
I can only doing for a short time on the ER before the bars start wobbling from side to side.


Something not right with your bike.
Check to make sure you haven't lost a weight of the wheel and or tyre pressure Thumbs Up


Checked and checked. Nothing wrong there.

I'd rather not try it at a faster speed, Pat Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it wobble pre-handguards? Have you asked other ER owners about it?

[edit] I'd like to get to the bottom of your wobble Mark Wink
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes shouldn't wobble. My old GS did because the rear wheel was slightly out of alignment.

My new one doesn't and the bar end used to rub on the throttle side grip so it acted like cruise control and I could sit at 50 with my hands chilling by the side.

When there is traffic coming the other way, I like to do this and move my hands in circular motions like a child would do an impression of a train. Other drivers would be like wtf.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

My new one doesn't and the bar end used to rub on the throttle side grip so it acted like cruise control and I could sit at 50 with my hands chilling by the side.


I do this too lol. I no hander alot so I can stretch, have a scratch and make sure my bum isn't on display.
____________________
Current: Honda Nsr 125
Live: Sunderland
Luke "cant be arsed to read your post, but suck my balls anyway."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chalky.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands off and doing the front crawl swimming stroke with car drivers watching you is full of win!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof that Chinese bikes are great - they ride themselves. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Did it wobble pre-handguards? Have you asked other ER owners about it?


It didn't wobble when I first got it, not sure if it started when I fitted the handguards.

And no, not asked any other ER5 owners. Could be the rear wheel slightly out of alignment as I have adjusted my chain once, but I'm pretty sure the lines matched up on the adjusters.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
Did it wobble pre-handguards? Have you asked other ER owners about it?


It didn't wobble when I first got it, not sure if it started when I fitted the handguards.

And no, not asked any other ER5 owners. Could be the rear wheel slightly out of alignment as I have adjusted my chain once, but I'm pretty sure the lines matched up on the adjusters.


Only because the marks on the swing arm match, it does not mean that the wheel is in alignment Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going no hands is easy. Going no eyes requires a lot more bottle.
While riding along just close your eyes and see how long you can keep them closed for without peeping (or crashing).
This pastime BTW is not recommended for people who value their lives.
____________________
A good loser will always be a loser.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:
ms51ves3 wrote:
It didn't wobble when I first got it, not sure if it started when I fitted the handguards.

And no, not asked any other ER5 owners. Could be the rear wheel slightly out of alignment as I have adjusted my chain once, but I'm pretty sure the lines matched up on the adjusters.


Only because the marks on the swing arm match, it does not mean that the wheel is in alignment Thumbs Up


I know that.

Most accurate way to test would be with a piece of string.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... no-hander here. Usually when I enter a villages' 30mph zone from NSL on A-roads etc. I lean back and drop my arms by my side, casually letting the bike slow itself down.
____________________
1977 Honda CG125
2002 Ducati Monster S4 (currently restoring)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to recommend but difficult to source....straight edges.
Adjuster marks are .5mm out on the 250. I used some string to find this out. Didn't make the steering wobble. Made my bike slightly pull to one side.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Adjuster marks are .5mm out on the 250.


How did you measure that?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ollieholt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

a blue chicken lol wut?

yeah i do and at some speeds my bars do wobble after a few seconds. not out of balance and on pressure... tyre do need replacing soon ish though. bearings good to my knowledge. mates bike did it and when he got new tyresit stopped. its not like a tank slapper wobble you can cease it with a very light gripbut its a fast left right wobble of the wheels.
____________________
Laughing < This? Well this is just a day brightner.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gone
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always ride no-handed when I need to indicate turning to the left and right simultaneously, as the indicators can't cope with that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger and more stupid, I used to like winding the speed up then overtaking things while sat on the pillion seat.

Pretty silly really.

Regards the wobbling ER5. My GPZ500 used to do that once the front tyre got below a couple of mm of tread. It also used to track along linear road defects.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
Adjuster marks are .5mm out on the 250.


How did you measure that?
the power of the vernier. 0.5mm is the thickness of a marker on my bike.

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/WA004.jpg

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/WA016.jpg

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/WA003.jpg

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/WA011-1.jpg
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GPZ did the bar wobble until I replaced the rear tyre, that sorted it out Thumbs Up
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 134.88 Kb