Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


KTM Superduke R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:02 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: KTM Superduke R Reply with quote

Are these bikes any good? I love the look of them, and fancy something a bit different for my next bike. Was thinking about a blade, or a ZX9R, but fancied something a little different. Fastest bike i've owned is an SV which was great as a beginner but became rather lacklustre. so want something rather special.

Anyone know about these? Or own one?

Any other bikes I should consider?

Many thanks.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20B/KTM%20990%20Super%20Duke%20R%2007%20%201.jpg
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:01 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden the non-R model and


It is incredibly difficult to ride for that sort of bike. The throttle is extremely sensitive and all the reviews I had read said that the throttle makes you look like a n00b when you're riding under 30mph. I thought this was magazine nonsense, but it turns out to be 100% true.

The suspension is unforgiving and for a relatively light person like me gave virtually no feel. However, when you open the throttle the thing makes a fantastic noise and leaps away like a scalded cat.

They are good bikes, but I suspect you really want a little bit more experience before you go for one. My Buell has almost identical performance but is much easier to ride and less likely to spit me off. The suspension is compliant but works well when I hustle, and the engine has loads of grunt but the instant response won't overwhelm the rear wheel due to the cushioning effect of the belt drive.

I also found the KTM to be a little too tall for me (5ft 5 with short legs) although I could have put up with it, and I found it rather uncomfortable too.

It was mental though, and that wasn't the R version...
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm.. Yeah I don't really want something that's going to take an age to master. Can't see your sig from this window to see if you buell is listed. If it isn't could you post it so I can take a look.

It's nice being in the market for a new bike. sooo many choices. Like a kid in and online sweet shop.
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the XB12S and it's mental looking. I want!!

How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking.

sweet bike.
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Just saw the XB12S and it's mental looking. I want!!

How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking.

sweet bike.


Mine cost a bit because it is low mileage but I bet its still cheaper than a KTM Superduke by a long way.

You can get XB12S's for about £3500-£4k these days... but they aren't exactly easy to live with. Nice to ride, but the chassis parts are metric and the engine parts are American standard. They vibrate like crazy and aren't super reliable. Servicing is expensive too, but then I guess a lot of the same kind of issues apply to the KTM.

What about something like a nice Z1000?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I've ridden the non-R model and


It is incredibly difficult to ride for that sort of bike. The throttle is extremely sensitive and all the reviews I had read said that the throttle makes you look like a n00b when you're riding under 30mph. I thought this was magazine nonsense, but it turns out to be 100% true.


I've ridden the non-R model too and 100% disagree with that assessment! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my mate owns one. He actually went from an sv to one; he said it's a totally different kettle of fish to the sv, different riding style, quite aggressive and meaty.

Sounds brilliant - is very tidy, but needs servicing very frequently... is excellent for pillion too, I spent a fantastic 5.5hrs bombing around Surrey, Sussex, Kent as pillion in recent months... Mr. Green Grin factor for pillion...imagine what it must be like for the rider in charge!!!
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Yes, my mate owns one. He actually went from an sv to one; he said it's a totally different kettle of fish to the sv, different riding style, quite aggressive and meaty.

Sounds brilliant - is very tidy, but needs servicing very frequently... is excellent for pillion too, I spent a fantastic 5.5hrs bombing around Surrey, Sussex, Kent as pillion in recent months... Mr. Green Grin factor for pillion...imagine what it must be like for the rider in charge!!!


If you are on about the bike posted at the top...doesnt look very pillion friendly Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

strag
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 27 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ridden the non R model to, found it very easy to ride and not snatchy at all. I have a Tuono and my riding mate has the KTM. Its not as quick, certainly not top end, as the Tuono, but is a great bike to ride, brilliant fun and sounds nice as well.
____________________
carbon bling
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:32 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Bubbs wrote:
Just saw the XB12S and it's mental looking. I want!!

How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking.

sweet bike.


Mine cost a bit because it is low mileage but I bet its still cheaper than a KTM Superduke by a long way.

You can get XB12S's for about £3500-£4k these days... but they aren't exactly easy to live with. Nice to ride, but the chassis parts are metric and the engine parts are American standard. They vibrate like crazy and aren't super reliable. Servicing is expensive too, but then I guess a lot of the same kind of issues apply to the KTM.

What about something like a nice Z1000?


I do like the look of the z1000. Definitely a potential.

What's it like for ease of use, keeping in mind that I'm pretty new to the field of "big" bikes. I have ridden a good 10,000miles on the sv and have pushed as far as i dare, however still not got to knee down positions, or learnt to properly lean off the bike. I had about half a cm of chicken strip on both sides when I'd finished with her without the roundabout cheat, which im personally happy with.

what u think?
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
MarJay wrote:
I've ridden the non-R model and

It is incredibly difficult to ride for that sort of bike. The throttle is extremely sensitive and all the reviews I had read said that the throttle makes you look like a n00b when you're riding under 30mph. I thought this was magazine nonsense, but it turns out to be 100% true.


I've ridden the non-R model too and 100% disagree with that assessment! Smile


+1

Like most KTM twins, they are known to be a little snatchy down low, but it just depends what you're used to. I test rode one of these (amongst other things) before buying the Tuono and thought it was very smooth and easy to ride at low speeds. Certainly coming off the SP-1, it was a doddle.

Reason I didn't go for one was that it felt a little underpowered compared with the Tuono, and especially the SP-1. Don't get me wrong, it's a great engine: It feels very revvy and spins up very quickly. But it's a little asthmatic in terms of torque spread for a litre twin, and top end is down on power against the best. The Ducati 848 comfortably makes more power at the wheel, despite it's capacity deficit. But the Superduke is still as quick as anything to 100 or so because they aren't geared too highly, and the bike is very light.

The R model is especially capable, and I remember Fast Bikes taking it (as standard) along to a BSB Superbike free practice session and lapping it within 2 seconds of the fastest Superbike. Which is bloody impressive.

As a track tool, it's probably the best naked bike out there, and more power can be got from the engine with a little expense. As an all rounder (something that's got a bit more grunt, a broader spread of power, and is comfier), the Tuono made more sense to me.

The first thing you need to decide is whether you want to stick with a twin, or switch to an IL4 (or a triple). A few test rides should decide that for you.
____________________
Current: Ducati Panigale R / Ducati Streetfighter S / Suzuki GSX-R1000 L5


Last edited by Alex A on 16:25 - 28 Nov 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:14 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
If you are on about the bike posted at the top...doesnt look very pillion friendly Laughing


No, I'm not. I'm talking about the one he owns. Thumbs Up That one clearly doesn't belong to him, it hasn't even got the same decals!!!
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Superduke R's have a pillion seat as far as I know - standard superduke does.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I rode was an early (2004 I think) model, and it was very very twitchy on the throttle. If you wanted to ride it fast it was fine, but trying to keep to a 30 limit was very difficult.

I'm sure that I'm not imagining it or anything because I remember at the time it was one of the reasons I chose to go for another Buell rather than the KTM. Maybe the one I rode wasn't set up properly or the earlier ones were worse than the later ones... I dunno. I have however ridden quite a number of bikes, and that was by far the worst for the throttle being so sensitive at low speed...
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:47 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
No Superduke R's have a pillion seat as far as I know - standard superduke does.


Oh, R...I dunno if it's an R...it's this...which I presume is just standard.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
G wrote:
No Superduke R's have a pillion seat as far as I know - standard superduke does.


Oh, R...I dunno if it's an R...it's this...which I presume is just standard.


Yes, that's a 'normal' one. All the Rs are single seaters.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CRF_Rider
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:41 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridden one at cadwell, great engine, good handling too. sound ace Very Happy service intervals not as often as ya think, i right enjoyed it and i pulled away from the guys mate on a duc 1100 hypermoto. v.good dealers who are very helpfull (been looking at a 570 SMR to take the place of the CRF) not as common as your reg honyamakawazuki's, WP sus is very good too btw.
____________________
Why is it everything i race, seems to be going backwards?
Current: Honda CRF 450 R Supermotard
Previous: Yam TY250 x2, Gas Gas TXT 200, Sherco 290, Suzuki TS 50,Honda CG 125, Yam SR250, Suzuki DR-Z400E, Yamaha YZF R6 112rwbhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 101.03 Kb