Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Gritting Lorrys....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Gritting Lorrys.... Reply with quote

Heads Up.. Watch the fuck out ! Very Happy

I was just in the car and a gritter lorry came round the corner in the other direction and shitted all over my car.

If I was on a bike I reckon I would have come off and... died.

But yeah I also experienced this on a motorway and you get a longer wave of the shit - if had a nice car I would not be impressed at all !

Stay clear Smile

Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
warped one This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

warped one wrote:
Mate of mine got belted by one driver after stopping him a few times telling him he was loosing his load.


He deserved it for being such an arse Wink
____________________
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol ! Oh dear Razz
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
warped one This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:09 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Re: Gritting Lorrys.... Reply with quote

Gritter lorry spreads grit! Stop the presses!
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:11 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed a couple on the motorway on my bike yesterday.. Had salt in my helmet when I got off :/
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A snow plough gritter combo came up, then down the road today, but didn't grit nor plough. Totally waste of time if you ask me. Confused
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss


Last edited by Clanger on 22:31 - 01 Dec 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they damage your car... you can claim for it, but only if you can prove it wasnt there before and was caused by them.

Brother is a highways agency site agent.. and told me to put a claim in for the damage sustained to my bike in a spillage as they didnt attend quickly, also said if my car gets sprayed (its a sports car, any other crapper i wouldnt mind) just call up and demand a form to claim for gritter damage Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
A snow plough gritter combo came down the road today, but didn't grit nor plough. Totally waste of time if you ask me. Confused

Ever think he was maybe out of grit? I mean if you plough the snow you compact it and turn it to ice, so you need grit coming out the back to then help remove said compacted snow/ice that you have created.

Now if you have no grit and you plough you are just creating compacted ice for the cars behind, in which case you can no longer sue the council for throwing grit at you/your car but now sue them for not putting any grit down and you skidded on ice and snow, and it is all their fault. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Damned if they do, damned if they don't with some people. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell do you STAY CLEAR of grit lorrys?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
A snow plough gritter combo came down the road today, but didn't grit nor plough. Totally waste of time if you ask me. Confused


Ever think that maybe he was trying to get somewhere? Thinking
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
Ever think he was maybe out of grit?


Nope, I could see the grit in the thingie on the back.

McJamweasel wrote:
Ever think that maybe he was trying to get somewhere? Thinking


Our road goes nowhere, it's like a tree with branches off it, as in one way in, the same way out Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yuri2085
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he was going to the end and then was going to grit it on the way back?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a load of whinging.

I for one have always been pleased to see gritting lorries, cos I am not very fond indeed of the alternative.

The gritting man dropped a shovel load of grit at the end of my street this morning, I nearly dropped my shopping and hugged him.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
The gritting man dropped a shovel load of grit at the end of my street this morning.


Coolio. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Deaks
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So people complain when they dont grit, then complain when they do grit. HMMM?


Clanger, only thing I can think of is that the councils and that have high priority roads and if yours is a smaller road and he needed to grit a main road he might have had to conserve it. Frustrating though I know.
____________________
Suzuki SV650S '04 (09/08-02/11), Triumph Tiger 1050 '07 (02/11 - current).

Live to Ride. Ride to Feel Alive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deaks650 wrote:
Clanger, only thing I can think of is that the councils and that have high priority roads and if yours is a smaller road and he needed to grit a main road he might have had to conserve it. Frustrating though I know.


Oh, I'm not complaining... apart from popping to the local shops, I worked from home today... Mr. Green Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't complain when they don't grit, college shuts if there is like 3 cm of snow, which means a day of nothing or cod Razz

Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tiny777
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 01 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
I passed a couple on the motorway on my bike yesterday.. Had salt in my helmet when I got off :/
Shocked dirty bugger yeh
____________________
Driving a car is like watching a movie-riding a bike is like being in one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 02 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sat behind one on the A3 near guildford. Lights off, not spitting out the salt.
As I went to over take, bastard turned his lights on 'shit' went to throttle it - and got pelted real bad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

5v3d3b0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 02 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hell, people just LOVE to whine don't they? All I've seen on BCF in the last few days is whinge whinge whinge, about the snow, the cold, the footy, how unprepared the UK is for snow, and now that they're doing something about the snow people complain about that too? Just ease off the accelerator and stay clear, it's not much worse than driving behind a car on a gravel road Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

locked
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 02 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thechemblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/whining.png
____________________
on the look out for my next bike....
CBT Passed - 13/09/09 Theroy Passed - 19/12/09 Mod 1 Passed 04/05/10 Mod 2 Passed 14/05/10 - Free to ride ANYTHING!
Motorcycles are perfectly safe as long as you remember they're dangerous.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 03 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
What a load of whinging.

I for one have always been pleased to see gritting lorries, cos I am not very fond indeed of the alternative.

The gritting man dropped a shovel load of grit at the end of my street this morning, I nearly dropped my shopping and hugged him.


I'd never dreamed it was possible to be so excited about the gritting man. You're delightful. Wub
____________________
Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pug
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 03 Dec 2010    Post subject: Re: Gritting Lorrys.... Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
Heads Up.. Watch the fuck out ! Very Happy

I was just in the car and a gritter lorry came round the corner in the other direction and shitted all over my car.

If I was on a bike I reckon I would have come off and... died.

But yeah I also experienced this on a motorway and you get a longer wave of the shit - if had a nice car I would not be impressed at all !

Stay clear Smile

Thumbs Up



Sorry Tom.

I'm one of the gritter drivers.

Normally I drive a dustcart,but in this mess we've all been seconded to gritter duties.

We're given maps of roads to be gritted,roads to be 'twin-run',and roads to be ploughed only.
We also have red-routes which we're not allowed to turn into,let alone drive down.
Invariably,after a 10-hour night of gritting,there are several calls coming in regarding complaints from people who have had their cars scattered as we go by.
I cannot turn the spinners off to go by vehicles or pedestrians,as this leaves a 30-foot long patch of un-cleared ice/snow,which is exactly what drivers who think a road has been gritted aren't prepared for.
We're doing our best mate.
I'm just a bloke in a truck,trying to keep it on the road as I clear as many routes as possible in 10 hours.
Ours are old 8-legger Fodens-the heaters are u/s,they leak cold air in from every seam,the suspension is neanderthal,no radio,and keeping the windscreen clear is a full time job with old towels and rags.
The blokes you see on Newsnight,in their fancy Iveco multispinners,with heaters and air suspension are the favoured few.
The rest of us have to drive old 'D'-series 6 leggers,or these Fodens.
They do the job,plough their way through some pretty deep shit,open up routes,and get the salt/grit down.

But we can NOT turn off the spinners just to go by a flash paint job.

Sorry bro.

I'll let my council know you're peeved-they may let us all stay home.
____________________
choice is for wimps-take the lot.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.14 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.94 Kb