Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


buying an older bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

wupwup
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: buying an older bike Reply with quote

hi guys. i was looking at a bike like this
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201049374679625/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/model/er-5/make/kawasaki/radius/1500/postcode/st150eh/quicksearch/true/page/1?logcode=p
i dont mind that its not the best looking / has been dropped because its a first bike. (i will have to get it restricted). so i was just wondering what you thought of it. my dad said itr was too old and had done too many miles, but i often see bikes over 20 years old running great. what kind of problems am i likely to come across? thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't say it was a bad bike necessarily but for the price you can get much better, keep a regular look out on ebay and you will get a good deal in the end.

I got my GPZ500 on ebay for around £500 with a brand new back tyre and reasonable mileage.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fine. 10 years isn't old. I've ridden older bikes with more miles on them. Anyway mileage isn't too high either, Sickpup did 55K in a month though it was constantly in bits due to his superhigh mileage due to his couriering.

Anyway you have to look at it this way, over time EVERY part of the bike bar the bits made from solid metal (frame,wheels, spindles, swingarm yokes) becomes a consumable part. You can interchange this with mileage if you do high miles.

Carb rubbers disintegrate, relays start to give up and the magnets inside rot. Wires rot and the insulation wears out and becomes brittle. Connectors turn turquiose through rot. Bearings wear out exhausts get holes in them. Bolts turn to cheese. My NTV had obsene number of miles on it. Bearings give up the ghost.

All of these are fairly simple repairs, but if you ignore them or they build up they can become a major headache. My NTV went way beyond this limit where it needed so much regular repair that I simply got rid... though this was more to fund my Russian trip as I reckon I could have ridden it 300K more.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice has been given above, however I doubt most of that will apply to a 9 year old bike. Although 55k is a lot of miles for a bike of that age, it means that it most likely hasn't spent any time stood. In my experience most of the problem with older bikes come from lack of use, where the rubber perishes and various bits seize.

Using my '88 Bros as an example, which was pretty much stood for 8 years before I bought it. There was amazingly not much visible rust. However the tyres are falling to bits the front brake was seized solid (took a lot of effort but that's fixed now Very Happy) and the carb was full of gunk.

Assuming the bike is in as good condition as pictured I'd go for it. However restriction will cost you £150+ so it might be worth finding something under 33bhp or restricted by a previous owner.
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep he might as well get a 31bhp Honda Bros instead!
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Yep he might as well get a 31bhp Honda Bros instead!

Laughing Not that I'm biased, but definitely! However due to them being made between 1988 and 1992 you do get all the problems of old bikes. That said, the legendary Honda build quality is not a lie; compared to my '93 RXS the '88 Bros has been a dream to work on! Although somehow mine has managed to only do about 17k miles in 22 years...
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That man is crazy if he thinks 10 years is old Laughing
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Anyway mileage isn't too high either, Sickpup did 55K in a month.


Surely that can't be right.

55,000 ÷ 31 = 1774 miles in a day every day for a month.

Even riding for 12 hours straight every day that gives an average speed of 147mph.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
[

Even riding for 12 hours straight every day that gives an average speed of 147mph.


Sorry you're right he did it in about 3-4 months Embarassed
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That sounds a bit better.

To the OP, my neglected NTV did 90 miles a day 5 days a week for 6 months and kept on going with nothing more that keeping the oil topped up. The usual commuter bikes are surprisingly good at doing stupid amounts of bikes, they are generally under tuned so unstrained engines.

To be honest there is a CBR600 on youtube that has done over 200,000 miles. If you look after almost any bike it will keep on going.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Laughing That sounds a bit better.

To the OP, my neglected NTV did 90 miles a day 5 days a week for 6 months and kept on going with nothing more that keeping the oil topped up. The usual commuter bikes are surprisingly good at doing stupid amounts of bikes, they are generally under tuned so unstrained engines.

To be honest there is a CBR600 on youtube that has done over 200,000 miles. If you look after almost any bike it will keep on going.

Whilst I'm not (yet) one of those "only buy Honda, everything else is crap" kind of guys, do you notice a common theme here? Honda CBR, Honda NTV and don't forget the Honda CB500? Whilst I'm sure some Kawasakis, Yamahas and maybe even some Suzukis do this kind of mad mileage it does seem like Honda bikes are built to last. I'll let you know if I still have my Bros in a few years Smile
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stereotypes have to start somewhere!
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Stereotypes have to start somewhere!

I suppose so. I get the feeling this thread is about to be flooded with replies from Suzuki owners who've done 300k on a GS500 Razz I think I'm just biased after finding next to no rust on my 22 year old Bros which has spent the last two years stood outside...Thumbs Up
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:30 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far too much money.

It's a buyers market right now and being in Winter, I wouldn't pay over £450 for that bike in a private sale.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, the GPZ I bought was older (1998) but has less miles and was in a million times better condition.

Also while we are jizzing over Honda's, my cbr is 17 years old and looks almost as good as new Cool
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wupwup
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Far too much money.

It's a buyers market right now and being in Winter, I wouldn't pay over £450 for that bike in a private sale.


realy? i was thinking of getting him to throw in free delivery but knocking off £350 is quite a request. also why do you think that? its not the best looking but there are older ones for 1200 on ebay.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

wupwup wrote:
instigator wrote:
Far too much money.

It's a buyers market right now and being in Winter, I wouldn't pay over £450 for that bike in a private sale.


realy? i was thinking of getting him to throw in free delivery but knocking off £350 is quite a request. also why do you think that? its not the best looking but there are older ones for 1200 on ebay.

I would be willing to bet that none of the ones at that price have 55k miles on them. However if the bike has been well looked after and a good service history it wouldn't bother me too much.
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

wupwup wrote:
instigator wrote:
Far too much money.

It's a buyers market right now and being in Winter, I wouldn't pay over £450 for that bike in a private sale.


realy? i was thinking of getting him to throw in free delivery but knocking off £350 is quite a request. also why do you think that? its not the best looking but there are older ones for 1200 on ebay.


It's winter time so you can knock off 10% off the price of a bike automatically, especially for an ER5.

I bought an X-Reg with...I think 9k on the clocks...for £1100. And that was 6 years ago. Laughing

Keep an eye on eBay auctions, don't rush into buying it because it's handy. It really is too expensive for what it is.

And to think...I got my Mint G1 ZX6R for £840 on eBay 4 weeks ago. Karma Plenty of bargains out there.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somehow got my Bros 400 for £330 at about the same time as you got your ZX6R, it has round about 16k on the clocks (26000km). It does seem like all the good deals are up north rather than around here in the south, but occasionally a good one comes along Very Happy
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to caution the OP against jumping in head first, relying purely on brand and model reputation.

I bought my "bullet proof" CB500 when it was 14 years old, had 45K miles, 2 week old MOT, was described by the stealer as excellent condition blah blah. Previously owned by a now bust riding school, so i assumed that they'd been knowledgeable, hence looked after to at least a moderate extent, and that the Honda build and parts quality of the bike would pick up the rest.

It's been the worst and most expensive "commuter" bike i suspect (and bloody well hope) i'll ever own. Pretty much every bearing and consumable has had to be replaced (along with many parts i wouldn't consider consumable), most within 5K miles and one year of ownership (quite how i managed those 5K miles with all the repairs, i've no idea). I've spent more time with the bike being repaired and off-road, than on. If you picked a part of the bike (bar engine, suspension, exhaust), the chances are i'll have replaced something in there! As my sole transport, it's been a pig, especially how the faults began to crop up both regularly, and gradually, so it wasn't possible to fix them all and move on, it was a case of a new fault every couple of weeks/month that needed off-road time to deal with. This is all despite comprehensive servicing it's been treated to (by me, so i know it's been actually done).

When i buy a bike in future i need to be reliable, i'd buy a bike that i have adequete proof that some care and attention had gone into looking after it. Anything else, isn't worth anything to me as much more than a parts donor.

So be careful with well used bikes.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely wouldn't pay that given the state of the fuel tank, whilst it's only really cosmetic at the moment, give it a winter or two and that's going to be rusting away.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last bike was 28 years old. Was fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.07 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 122.94 Kb