Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


tell me about ducati 916's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:24 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: tell me about ducati 916's Reply with quote

as titled. specifically late 90s ones as im considering buying one and cant find out much about them.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Ducati/Ducati-996998-Biposto-1998-2003-/
Mentiones 916 - 998 so not sure if its a review of all 3 bikes or a generic one of the breed
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you like about the R6 is the power delivery and quick steering, the 916 is the complete opposite.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

More reviews.
https://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/ducati-916/2220-ducati-916-bike-reviews-owners-register.html

As usual take with pinch of salt and then try one if possible.

Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:


As usual take with pinch of salt and then try one if possible.

Pat


I agree. Its great to do research and read reviews but they are just what people think about the bikes themselves. Personal opinion is all that really matters at the end of the day. What one person doesnt like might be something you like.

When I bought my storm I trawled the net for reviews and spent weeks researching to be sure I wanted one. The common ground in all the reviews were the CCT's which seem to be inherently weak in them and the piss poor tank size. These 2 things cropped up in review after review so there was something to take on board. but the rest were just what people thought.

So read as many reviews as possible and find any common ground in them and take that on board.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a random guess probably something you won't like much Laughing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'm mainly after a sportsbike that's not your usual, with the handling of an R6 but similar (i know it wont be that close) to my KTM 520.

not to be used as a wheelie weapon or anything. maybe a track tool. i'm after something with a bit more torque because i wouldnt mind attempting a bit of corner drifting, which is easy ish on my ktm, but the R6 wasnt really that keen.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:04 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:


not to be used as a wheelie weapon or anything.


Why not? Its a V twin..... Made for wheelies Laughing
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
mattsprattuk wrote:


not to be used as a wheelie weapon or anything.


Why not? Its a V twin..... Made for wheelies Laughing


i would say any v engine is quite the opposite tbh
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think ducs take wheelies too well, it will feel slower to turn than the R6. Look for rocker problems and electrics I think
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.kris
Traffic Copper



Joined: 11 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

better off with a SP1-2 maybe a TL1000S with sorted springs 97 SV modles of TL make more power i billive!
____________________
TS50X---CM125---MZ150---Z250---RS125---ZXR250---BANDIT600---TRX850---TL1000S---CBF600---ZX6R---BANDIT1200S---CG125---VFR800---CBR1000F---CG125---CG125---CB900F---CB900F---CG125---TUONO1000R---KLR600---GSX1300R HAYABUSA---VFR400NC30---BANDIT1200---CG125

HAYABUSA now in use!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find getting the wheel up on the VTR is way easier than it was on the GSXR I ran about on..... Both completely accidental of course. But it happens.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure its easy on both.
remember i seem to be the only person in the world that can clutch up an r6 in 3rd Wink and went to court for overtaking an unmarked police car on 1 wheel on my ktm

i dont want to destroy an engine though, so would feel much better about abusing an il4
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I have had the wheel up I have done it accidently. I will figure out the secret to getting the wheel up deliberatly but saving that for when I'm more used to the bigger bikes.

But I do see what your getting at. I wouldnt want to do that to a Duke. They cost too much to fix.

What you will have to bear in mind though. Getting back on topic. Is no matter what you go for. With the different set up it will feel a bit gutless in comparison to the R6. My VTR feels a bit less powerfull than the GSXR750 even though the engine is bigger. You got to be prepared for that.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, im prepared for that. i know it wont have the same power delivery or anything, it'll be pretty linear power, but will pull from lower down, and chances are they'll be a cunt to ride at slow speeds.

i just want lots of noise and a rattly clutch
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most beautiful bike ever created but potentially a stupendous wallet emptier. Spares prices out of a telephone book and the bloke who 'knows' doesn't come cheap either. Jap bikes will run forever on regular oil changes and minimal servicing, Wop bikes wont.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know. Mine is great to ride at slow speeds. The GSXR hated town riding. 3rd gear and 3K revs was 30mph and the bike just wanted to go. Second gear was a little better but the after market exhaust attracted way too many stares as it screamed past. With the twin though she'll happily sit at 3k revs in 2nd gear doing 30.

One of the big changes going from the inline 4 to the twin was the power delivery in mid range. Twist the throttle on the GSXR and you feel the bike lurch forward like someones shoved it from the back. Twist the throttle in any gear and your off like a tart on a greased pole without noticing it. Its only when you glance down and realise your doing 80 and still going where not a second ago you were doing half that without changing gear. Added to the clatter of the twin rattling under you it just brings a smile. Does make the lack of top end grunt bearable.

Where my GSXR was all about high revs and engine screaming the VTR is all about midrange and sounds like thunder going up the roads.

Given the choice the V Twin wins every time....And I have the choice as the GSXR is parked outside still.

Shame you werent closer or I would let you have a hammer around on it for an hour or so. I know its a different beast than the Duke your after but it will give you an idea of the Twin engine rather than the Inline 4
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've ridden a 2008 848, and a few other twins, but i was more after model specific information, things to look out for etc.

i'm guessing its carbs and has the desmo valve system?

i've probably owned and ridden near enough every type of bike going, so i'm not going to be that suprised at the power delivery.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
I dont know. Mine is great to ride at slow speeds.

Yours is a relatively low powered 'commuter' style bike - the sports twins tend be lumpier low down as they're designed to make relatively a fair bit more peak power.

Also; I'd suggest you get a ride on a modern litre sports 4 some time to get a decent comparison - even a modern GSXR750 is massively different to yours, I'd say.

For matt; There's a slight damage KTM 950 supermoto on ebay for £3500. That sounds like it might fit your mix of R6 and KTM 520 more.

See a few Ducati sports bikes at trackdays do ok, but without fail I think every one I saw racing had serious problems and was being fixed a lot more than it was being ridden. Not including the specific Ducati championship thingy, which uses much slower bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:
I dont know. Mine is great to ride at slow speeds.

Yours is a relatively low powered 'commuter' style bike - the sports twins tend be lumpier low down as they're designed to make relatively a fair bit more peak power.

Also; I'd suggest you get a ride on a modern litre sports 4 some time to get a decent comparison - even a modern GSXR750 is massively different to yours, I'd say.
.


I have no doubt your right. I've not had the experience of big bikes anymore than the GSXR thats 19 years old and the VTR that isnt a proper sports bike. But open to offers.... If someones daft enough to let me have a go on their bikes I'll be happy to compare. Laughing
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to have a play on my GSXR1000; but when I get it back, I won't be down this way for long.

In my experience, a lot of it is related to what the bike's designed for - for instance a sports twin or sports 600 4 cylinder tend to be a bit lumpy low down as they're pushing for peak power.
An SV650 intended for commuting feels smoother low down, though partly that's due to relatively lower gearing.
Often you get considerably nicer 'town manners' from the same basic engine in a town bike because they've re/detuned it to work better in that situation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Welcome to have a play on my GSXR1000; but when I get it back, I won't be down this way for long.


Would love too and I promise you'll get it back in pieces... I mean the same condition. Laughing Next time your down this area PM me and I'll have a go.

Question for the knowladgeable one though.... If my VTR is a sports touring bike why is the tank so small? Laughing
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desmo yes, carbed yes (I think), lumpy low down yes. As said above flaking rockers and electrics to look out for and I think the 916 etc series need serving more often, including the belts.

Newer Ducs are much better with longer intervals and being cheaper to service so I would be looking at a 749/999 as they have the Testastretta engine which is pretty solid Thumbs Up
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

Question for the knowladgeable one though.... If my VTR is a sports touring bike why is the tank so small? Laughing


Thats the sports bit Laughing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's mainly why i was wanting to go with an older one with simpler electrics and none of these immobiliser bullshit devices.

i dont think a 950 would be up my street to be honest. i'm after a sportsbike. also, much as i'll probably get grilled for it, i see no need for a bike like that which cant go offroad (unless you mean the adventure).
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.79 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 139.71 Kb