Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


TJ's 2008 Yamaha R6

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TJenkos
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 10 Dec 2010    Post subject: TJ's 2008 Yamaha R6 Reply with quote

Today I took the plunge and did the deal on a 2008 '58' R6 Very Happy

I got a decent price against my 2003 R6, so thats being P/X'ed and I take delivery on Tuesday.. Now all I need is summer Laughing

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/tjenkos/fn58cuh-2.jpg

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/tjenkos/fn58cuh-3.jpg

And a short farewell to the previous, 800 miles in the 9 months of ownership Rolling Eyes

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/tjenkos/AAA.jpg
____________________
Passed CBT: 21/05/2006 Passed A2 Test: 17/05/2008
Previous Bike: '99 Peugeot Speedfight, '54 Jetforce TSDI, '03 Yamaha R6
Current Bike: '58 Yamaha R6 & '89 Honda VFR400R NC30 SP2


Last edited by TJenkos on 20:48 - 12 Jan 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 10 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I like the red and white colour scheme Thumbs Up
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Darth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 10 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

On looks alone, I prefer the old one Confused Confused
____________________
Harold_Shand wrote: I suppose it's like anything, you get your fingers burned when you start out, you learn from it and eventually become a complete arsehole about the whole thing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 10 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes me too,

I like it! Cool
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

imanupstart
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:03 - 11 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up New bike looks lush mate, wouldn't want to ride bitch on that though Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 11 Dec 2010    Post subject: Re: 2008 Yamaha R6 - Out with the old, in with the new Reply with quote

TJenkos wrote:

And a short farewell to the previous, 800 miles in the 9 months of ownership Rolling Eyes


Why so few miles?

Nice new bike though. Thumbs Up
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ryhardcastle
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 11 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks lovely. Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flumpy7
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 31 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why spend on a new bike when you do so few miles? More money than sense I reckon.
____________________
2012 Sinnis apache
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

flumpy7 wrote:
Why spend on a new bike when you do so few miles? More money than sense I reckon.


Well you only live once! If that's what you want go for it!

Tis a very nice bike mate, does look good.

I've gone bitch on the '09 R6... and its interesting Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TJenkos
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 12 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

L4Isoside wrote:
flumpy7 wrote:
Why spend on a new bike when you do so few miles? More money than sense I reckon.


Well you only live once! If that's what you want go for it!

Tis a very nice bike mate, does look good.

I've gone bitch on the '09 R6... and its interesting Laughing


Exactly my view. I'd always wanted a newer and more modern looking bike but being in my apprenticeship went for something more practically priced. Now I am out of it and on a good wage so before I get tied down with the missus and mortgages etc I'm treating myself.

I'm positive this one will get a good few outings..

More money than sense, I don't think so.
____________________
Passed CBT: 21/05/2006 Passed A2 Test: 17/05/2008
Previous Bike: '99 Peugeot Speedfight, '54 Jetforce TSDI, '03 Yamaha R6
Current Bike: '58 Yamaha R6 & '89 Honda VFR400R NC30 SP2
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tutton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 16 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks alot like the r125 ( as the 125 should be remove the stickers and if it drove past fast youd be hard pushed to know apart from engine tone)
____________________
Past: '05 Peugeot XPS '99 Aprillia RS125 '94 FZR600R
Current: '02 ZX636 A1P '51 CCM R30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gray84
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 16 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

tutton wrote:
Looks alot like the r125 ( as the 125 should be remove the stickers and if it drove past fast youd be hard pushed to know apart from engine tone)


yeh thats one of the reasons i just from a r6 to a r1..
still have a soft spot for the r6 though..
____________________
Road bike - 2002 YAMAHA R6(SOLD) 2008 YAMAHA R1(SOLD) 2007 APRILIA SXV 550(SOLD) 2007 SUZUKI GSXR 600
Dirt bike - 1989 HONDA CR80sw(SOLD) 1996 YAMAHA YZ125(SOLD) 2006 yamaha yz250(SOLD)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woll
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 16 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice Thumbs Up
Me likey Very Happy
____________________
Current Bike- Suzuki DRZ400 SM K6
Previous bikes - Derbi Senda Xtreme50r, Honda CBR 125, Kawasaki ZZR 250, Yamaha DT125R, Suzuki Bandit 600, Gas gas ec 250, Honda CBR600FW
Damaged spleen, damaged kindey, 2 popped lungs, 2 broken ribs, broken face, broken wrist and 5 back fractures... remember kids walls hurt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 17 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the much difference between the 2 riding wise? I'd never chop a bike for a similar bike unless it was knackered.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gray84
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 17 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Is the much difference between the 2 riding wise? I'd never chop a bike for a similar bike unless it was knackered.


i would... cant beat a nice new bike and having a new toy in my life.. aslong as the deal is good and i havnt been done over im happy..
____________________
Road bike - 2002 YAMAHA R6(SOLD) 2008 YAMAHA R1(SOLD) 2007 APRILIA SXV 550(SOLD) 2007 SUZUKI GSXR 600
Dirt bike - 1989 HONDA CR80sw(SOLD) 1996 YAMAHA YZ125(SOLD) 2006 yamaha yz250(SOLD)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 17 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

gray84 wrote:
chris-red wrote:
Is the much difference between the 2 riding wise? I'd never chop a bike for a similar bike unless it was knackered.


i would... cant beat a nice new bike and having a new toy in my life.. aslong as the deal is good and i havnt been done over im happy..


I can see the point between an R1 and an R6, but an r6 to a newer r6 I can't understand.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gray84
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 17 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh true...i was gona go from an older r6 to newer but the weight differance was my worry. but this r1 is lighter than my old r6 and alot easier to ride...
____________________
Road bike - 2002 YAMAHA R6(SOLD) 2008 YAMAHA R1(SOLD) 2007 APRILIA SXV 550(SOLD) 2007 SUZUKI GSXR 600
Dirt bike - 1989 HONDA CR80sw(SOLD) 1996 YAMAHA YZ125(SOLD) 2006 yamaha yz250(SOLD)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 17 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

gray84 wrote:
yeh true...i was gona go from an older r6 to newer but the weight differance was my worry. but this r1 is lighter than my old r6 and alot easier to ride...


It is 4k kgs according to wiki I would stake my life you wouldn't be able to notice a 4kg weight difference.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TJenkos
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 19 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Is the much difference between the 2 riding wise? I'd never chop a bike for a similar bike unless it was knackered.


A hell of a difference just from a short ride Thumbs Up
____________________
Passed CBT: 21/05/2006 Passed A2 Test: 17/05/2008
Previous Bike: '99 Peugeot Speedfight, '54 Jetforce TSDI, '03 Yamaha R6
Current Bike: '58 Yamaha R6 & '89 Honda VFR400R NC30 SP2
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gray84
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 19 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
gray84 wrote:
yeh true...i was gona go from an older r6 to newer but the weight differance was my worry. but this r1 is lighter than my old r6 and alot easier to ride...


It is 4k kgs according to wiki I would stake my life you wouldn't be able to notice a 4kg weight difference.


sorry i said that wrong...i ment i was going to go from a old r6 to a new one. the weight diff between the r6 and r1 was my worry. so thats why i was thinking about the new r6.
happy i jumped to the r1
____________________
Road bike - 2002 YAMAHA R6(SOLD) 2008 YAMAHA R1(SOLD) 2007 APRILIA SXV 550(SOLD) 2007 SUZUKI GSXR 600
Dirt bike - 1989 HONDA CR80sw(SOLD) 1996 YAMAHA YZ125(SOLD) 2006 yamaha yz250(SOLD)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GSF Jamie 600
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 19 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefer the look of your old one more tbh mate
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TJenkos
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 19 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer the look of the new one, its far more modern and styled compared to the 5SL, with the lowdown exhaust and pointy fairing. I've probably used that more as a stop-gap until I could move to something newer....

Size-wise, the 5SL is a fair bit 'taller' and civilised compared to the 13S thats downright sportsbike...

Going from an R6 to an R6, why not? I've looked at GSXRs, Ninjas, CBRs... but theyve all got something negative about them. The R6 has no end of great reviews and the quality it appears superb. Being aged 20, I don't want to jump the gun and move into the 1000cc market. 600cc power is more than enough for me at the moment.

Anyway, I'm not looking to justify my reasons. I feel that the move was the right thing for me and I'm more than happy Smile
____________________
Passed CBT: 21/05/2006 Passed A2 Test: 17/05/2008
Previous Bike: '99 Peugeot Speedfight, '54 Jetforce TSDI, '03 Yamaha R6
Current Bike: '58 Yamaha R6 & '89 Honda VFR400R NC30 SP2
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 03 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJenkos wrote:
I much prefer the look of the new one, its far more modern and styled compared to the 5SL, with the lowdown exhaust and pointy fairing. I've probably used that more as a stop-gap until I could move to something newer....

Size-wise, the 5SL is a fair bit 'taller' and civilised compared to the 13S thats downright sportsbike...

Going from an R6 to an R6, why not? I've looked at GSXRs, Ninjas, CBRs... but theyve all got something negative about them. The R6 has no end of great reviews and the quality it appears superb. Being aged 20, I don't want to jump the gun and move into the 1000cc market. 600cc power is more than enough for me at the moment.

Anyway, I'm not looking to justify my reasons. I feel that the move was the right thing for me and I'm more than happy Smile



so... what's it like?

I rode an 08 R6 at Mallory Park and it was gutless low down. It seemed to explode once the revs built up though but by the time that happened it hit the limiter.

I remember thinking I would never buy one for the road because of this. They do look lovely though; definitely the best looking modern 600 sports bike in my opinion.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TJenkos
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 12 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:
so... what's it like?

I rode an 08 R6 at Mallory Park and it was gutless low down. It seemed to explode once the revs built up though but by the time that happened it hit the limiter.

I remember thinking I would never buy one for the road because of this. They do look lovely though; definitely the best looking modern 600 sports bike in my opinion.

Thumbs Up


I struggle to say at the moment as I've only really done a couple of 20 mile tootles. It's had 2 new tyres and being new to me, along with the weather, i've only taken it easy. I'd definitely say it had more grunt later on in the rev range and it probably is marginally more rev-necessary, but thats the R6 all over. The biggest factor for me is handling, I never did get conformable with the way the 5SL was. That might just have been me needing to tweak a few bits but at the end of the day I wanted a newer bike so I got one ..

A bit of an update on the front anyway:

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/tjenkos/7d08f3d7.jpg

PRE

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/tjenkos/244b2667.jpg

POST

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/tjenkos/075e9340.jpg

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/tjenkos/6e277b44.jpg

Also, heres a picture of the hugger I put on last week..

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/tjenkos/e736c69f.jpg
____________________
Passed CBT: 21/05/2006 Passed A2 Test: 17/05/2008
Previous Bike: '99 Peugeot Speedfight, '54 Jetforce TSDI, '03 Yamaha R6
Current Bike: '58 Yamaha R6 & '89 Honda VFR400R NC30 SP2
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

swiftb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 12 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice mate - I personally dont see whats wrong with going from an r6 to a newer r6 Confused Why is that a problem?? Considering the two r6's that you owned and now own are completely different sorts of 'sports'bike.
I nearly bought a 5sl when I had a budget of around 3-3.5k, a gunmetal grey one, think they are real nice looking bikes and they 'fit' nice, comfy, nice riding position. Good build quality too.
The new r6 is predominantly a track bike in comparison to the old one though - supposed to be extremely stiff?? Have you noticed that? Hope the roads are smooth down your way! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.95 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.96 Kb