Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Out of desperation.... Ive got an RS125 -- (UPDATE)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Out of desperation.... Ive got an RS125 -- (UPDATE) Reply with quote

Right, I traded 1k worth of guitar gear for an RS125... It's well looked after, he's a decent friend.
I'm desperate to get a bike before work on 4th jan.. Car is too expensive and I'm looking around for a Falco...so until I find one, it use an RS.

Used a 2t before, but just a bag of shit commuter. Obviously this is different, anything to look out for? Never owned one Laughing always stayed away due to the rebuilds etc, but I'm very comfortable with doing this stuff alot more than I was 2 years ago!


Last edited by P.addy on 18:55 - 28 Feb 2011; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about the RS125, other than the fact it's fast and will seize if you don't look after it.

If you have a full licence what made you go for the RS over a larger capacity bike for 1k, and is it unrestricted?
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the petrol filled up when you can. Power goes at 70 Km to 100Km if it's start and stop type traffic.

Use good fully synthetic oil. Agip, castrol tt are the best. If the oil is low then the bike doesn't perform as well to me.

Rev it above 4k to move, it's so light that you can chuck it about easily but becareful of the road surface.

Warm it up til about 40 celcius if you're gonna go over 6k revs.

Use to choke but don't forget to take it off.

The baterry is shit if you have an alarmmso don't leave the lights on for too long without starting.

This bike will encourage you to rag it, which is fine. Most of the power is at the top, but try to not stay in one gear too long apparently. Change it up and down like normal I guess, but not too long on each gear.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love RS125s! If its been looked after then you shouldnt have any bother. As with every bike theres a list of usual suspects to check for but its been so long I barely remember. Keith is a tower of knowledge on these and theres always the 125ccsportsbikes.co.uk forum.

Mine had a problem with the clutch when I first got it due to it being badly adjusted. You need to keep on top of the oil. Carry a spare plug. Clean the power valve now and then. Change the rings (might be every 5k or 7k but don't take my word for it). Lastly,wring its neck for all its worth and enjoy it!

Fantastic little bikes. Someone made a comment that a bandit would be more fun and faster the other day. I don't doubt the faster part but if I was looking for a bike purely for a bit of fun it would be on my shortlist way ahead of a blandit! Laughing
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes make sure the clutch is Ok, they tend to slip over time, and the pressure plate can go often apparently.

If it's not idling well, there is a hidden thing you twist on the right side arounf the fairing and frame. Middle part, it can make it idle better when warming up but change it back after or it runs too rich.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit a big chain and don't lend it out Smile
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Fit a big chain and don't lend it out Smile


Laughing no one is using this but me Wink 2 chains, alarmed disk lock and a cover.

Beechbone, read the post Wink looking around for a Falco, mate needed guitar gear and I was getting shot anyway! I've always wanted an RS and am aware of the costs of running, I own a frigging stupidly expensive car which costs about £15 a day... The RS will be considerably cheaper. Reason for having a small bike is because I don't want the hassle of flogging a 250-600 when I can flog an RS like the Indians sell curry. Wink

Will get pics tonight or morning... Gonna wash it, so probably tomorrow Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ive given it a serious hammering.
Let it warm up to about 40 then rode gently.

First problem Laughing the bike decided to conk out, could be down to being stored under a cover for 2 months and having crap fuel.
It had trouble restarting...which pissed me off a bit, but it restarted in the end.

Carb clean, new plug and gearbox oil tomorrow.

Also, it was idling 2000 on choke, i presume this is low?
Raised it via idle screw to about 3000, then knocked choke off, idle sat around 2k, bit high.

Whats the recommended warm idle speed?
Also, any idea on the fluids? How much etc? I would look, but im on the iphone Laughing edge network is slow!

But on the upside, its a nippy little bugger, very confidence inspiring even in the slightly wet conditions we have.
It has dunlop tyres, unsure of type, but ive never used them before Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun mate! Mine had the orignal dunslops but they never gave an inch no matter what heroics were going on!

On the cutting out thing, they are quite sensitive to fuel I found. Mine had some water in it when I got it and that caused a fair few cut outs. Also it would never go onto reserve on the move, always coughed a bit and then died when I turned the reserve tap. Often leaving you in the most ridiculous of positions, one time I was mid overtake and had to flag the car beside me to 'undertake' me so I could get to the side of the road Embarassed !

Glad you're enjoying it! Hopefully someone with a better memory than me will be along with some idle advice!
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My RS didn't idle well at all, better to rev it while on the choke. 2K is about right to tell you the truth. It's quite sensative to the throttle.

After about 60 celcious, it is when the bike is about right to rag it.

Dunlops are the orginals I believe. I got them changed to Bridgestone's after but both were about the same.

It rides extremely well in the wet, the power and grip is just right to go fast. The 636 is faster, but the power in the wet is abit too much at times.

Changing to reserve was ok for me while riding. You instantly notice the power gaining back.

Great fun bike for sure. Becareful though, my friend told me he saw a guy with a RS overtake him on his Yamaha R125, and his friend on a CBR 125 when it was very wet. Minutes later they saw him on the floor. Persoanlly I found the bike great in the wet.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, an insane bike for what it is!!
Definitely going to have some fun. Think the clocks are in km, it's done 19500.
Rebuilt bout 1000 miles ago, so a fair bit of life left!
Not sure but the tyres are very new, I saw the word MAX as I was covering it... So Dunlop something max Laughing

It's idling about 1500 now... Seems alright. Will clean carb and that tomorrow, wash and photos for you lot!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think the idle speed should be around 1200rpm, but I normally set it a bit higher (~1500). No idea about idle on choke (to be honest I rarely need or use choke).

As to warming up, I would start and ride off immediatly but not rev it beyond ~5k until it is up to temperature (you will probably see it get up to temp, then drop 10 degrees or so before getting back up to temperature again).

Use decent 2 squeak oil (tank is a decent size). From memory the gearbox takes 600cc of oil. Keep a spare plug in the tool kit.

The power valves can stick but as long as you free them off fairly quickly they are easy to free off. If cruising I would aim to sit around 8k with the revs going up and down ~500k. This way the power valve opens and closes regularly.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Think the idle speed should be around 1200rpm, but I normally set it a bit higher (~1500). No idea about idle on choke (to be honest I rarely need or use choke).

Not tried without choke yet to be honest, i'll try it tomorrow morning.

As to warming up, I would start and ride off immediatly but not rev it beyond ~5k until it is up to temperature (you will probably see it get up to temp, then drop 10 degrees or so before getting back up to temperature again).

Well, I trust you...i'll probably start it up and put helmet n gloves on and ride gently.

Use decent 2 squeak oil (tank is a decent size). From memory the gearbox takes 600cc of oil. Keep a spare plug in the tool kit.

Tool kit? How do you remove the seats? Couldnt see an easy access?

The power valves can stick but as long as you free them off fairly quickly they are easy to free off. If cruising I would aim to sit around 8k with the revs going up and down ~500k. This way the power valve opens and closes regularly.

I have the feeling its restricted, has an Arrow exhaust, unsure if its full system, again..i'll check in the morning.
Not sure if restricted has the power valve? its a 2000 model.
It definitely has some amazing poke from ~7k rpm Laughing



Thanks Kickstart, and all the other guys... Not a fan of 2 strokes, down to the maintenance but needing a bike for work and the offer, couldnt turn it down, glad I didnt.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
No doubt, an insane bike for what it is!!
Definitely going to have some fun. Think the clocks are in km, it's done 19500.
Rebuilt bout 1000 miles ago, so a fair bit of life left!
Not sure but the tyres are very new, I saw the word MAX as I was covering it... So Dunlop something max Laughing

It's idling about 1500 now... Seems alright. Will clean carb and that tomorrow, wash and photos for you lot!


Yeah Sport Max are what comes with it.

1500 is about normal for all bikes. Sure it was rebuilt properly?

Yeah everything is in KM, so when it hits about 70-100 KM for me, the power goes down.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with 2 strokes.

If you maintain it as it should, then they kinda are OK IMO. About 12-14 Quid for decent bottle of oil. Always fill; it up if you have a chance, it seems even when there is oil, but it's low, the bike doesn't perform as well to me, maybe because less oil means less pressure? Even though it has a pump?

You can ride it without warming it up and no choke, I use to do that on warm days, but never did it from very cold days much. It rides OK like that, but doesn't work too well if you rev it high because it's not warm enough.

Personally to keep the bike healthy, I preferred to warm it up, just incase. I have heard of stories of seizing these bikes so never took too much risk. Of course it can probably survive like Keith said, and on ocassions it was fine for me too but who knows what happens in the long term.

I think a power valave with CDI etc jumps at 8K and doesn't stop at 10k or something. Basically it can easily red line.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:

I have the feeling its restricted, has an Arrow exhaust, unsure if its full system, again..i'll check in the morning.
Not sure if restricted has the power valve? its a 2000 model.
It definitely has some amazing poke from ~7k rpm Laughing



Power valve opens at about 8k. Restricted it would be pretty much asleep after then.

##Paddy## wrote:
Thanks Kickstart, and all the other guys... Not a fan of 2 strokes, down to the maintenance but needing a bike for work and the offer, couldnt turn it down, glad I didnt.


Prefer 2 stroke to 4 strokes. Less maintenance, cheaper to make and a far nicer power delivery.

MinhDinh wrote:

Personally to keep the bike healthy, I preferred to warm it up, just incase. I have heard of stories of seizing these bikes so never took too much risk. Of course it can probably survive like Keith said, and on ocassions it was fine for me too but who knows what happens in the long term.


Long term probably better for it. Longer warming up on choke warming up means more fuel washing the oil from the bores.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
##Paddy## wrote:

I have the feeling its restricted, has an Arrow exhaust, unsure if its full system, again..i'll check in the morning.
Not sure if restricted has the power valve? its a 2000 model.
It definitely has some amazing poke from ~7k rpm Laughing



Power valve opens at about 8k. Restricted it would be pretty much asleep after then.

##Paddy## wrote:
Thanks Kickstart, and all the other guys... Not a fan of 2 strokes, down to the maintenance but needing a bike for work and the offer, couldnt turn it down, glad I didnt.


Prefer 2 stroke to 4 strokes. Less maintenance, cheaper to make and a far nicer power delivery.

MinhDinh wrote:

Personally to keep the bike healthy, I preferred to warm it up, just incase. I have heard of stories of seizing these bikes so never took too much risk. Of course it can probably survive like Keith said, and on ocassions it was fine for me too but who knows what happens in the long term.


Long term probably better for it. Longer warming up on choke warming up means more fuel washing the oil from the bores.

All the best

Keith


The oracle has spoken.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 01 Jan 2011    Post subject: Re: Out of desperation.... Ive got an RS125 Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Right, I traded 1k worth of guitar gear for an RS125


*SLAP*
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:59 - 02 Jan 2011    Post subject: Re: Out of desperation.... Ive got an RS125 Reply with quote

Flip wrote:
##Paddy## wrote:
Right, I traded 1k worth of guitar gear for an RS125


*SLAP*


Haha, well.. He needed a decent amp, I no longer needed 120w tube amp with a 4x12 cab... Laughing plus that amp doesn't fit in the car.
The guitar was a Burny I traded anyway, nice guitar.. Not metal enough though!

Today, I'm gonna clean it up... Where would I find the power valve and how do I remove the seats? Going to really go over it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:00 - 02 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key into left hand side of seat, and I think some screws for back pillion. Take off tank abd I think the powervalve may be on tue right side? Not sure on that one.

Turn fuel off before you do any work.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 02 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at your cylinder head the powervalve should stick out. It'll look like this...

https://img.kijiji.it/ac/d9/acd9fa93159fc76daeb2c496a53df735_big.jpg

The "blade" part is the bit goes into the cylinder head and is prone to seizing. I would wip it out and give it a clean up. Even though you say it's had a top end rebuild within the last 1000 miles, he may not have touched the pv. When you do take it out, make sure you take note of which way is up. You don't want to be putting it back in upside down
Laughing

I love My RS. Infact, I may even rebuild it and start riding her again Thumbs Up It's been sat neglected in the corner of the garage whilst I've been having fun on big bikes. I'ts been a few years now so maybe it's time to unleash it again Mr. Green

With regards to warming it up. I'm with Keith. I always used to start the bike and ride off as soon as I could. I don't think I've ever seen/ heard anyone actually cold seizing an engine from doing this. Seems to be an old wives tale if you ask me Thumbs Up

Good luck and get some pictures!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 02 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A washburn and a 4x12 head and cab WILL certainly outlast an RS125!

Error!

Before and after pics would be handy (guitar gear vs your new bike!)
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 02 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, took it for a pretty hard ride, I cant believe how well it handles.
Seriously, i've never had so much fun flicking a little bike around!

Its still restricted im guessing, it indicated about 82mph, so id say 70-75 real speed. Regardless its all good to me!

Pics Cool

standard seat and removal of all stickers on there asap!

https://i52.tinypic.com/23sgrvc.jpg

https://i52.tinypic.com/in74o5.jpg

https://i54.tinypic.com/2zy92bl.jpg

https://i55.tinypic.com/2v93srn.jpg

https://i53.tinypic.com/294mdg4.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 02 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
A washburn and a 4x12 head and cab WILL certainly outlast an RS125!

Error!

Before and after pics would be handy (guitar gear vs your new bike!)


I really need a bike, and im not longer gigging, so a large amp isnt needed.

My gear was up for sale for £600, so a trade for a tax/tested bike is good Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.20 Sec - Server Load: 1.08 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 141.8 Kb