Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Changing Gears ....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

daxo
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 08 Jan 2011    Post subject: Changing Gears .... Reply with quote

I was just wondering in you can change gears without pressing the clutch...I saw a video on youtube that says that wouldnt damage the bike, is it true?

I'm new in geared bikes and its kinda long to go from 1st to 2nd when you want to leave the traffic light quick.

and before I mess up my bike I would like know the true (after all its a 125cc and I know It cant be that quick )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 08 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer - yes you can.

Long answer - yes you can but you have to be aware of how it all works to make sure you do it right so you won't do any damage. When you pull the clutch you are releasing any driven torque through the gearbox, thus allowing you to make a shift. You can replicate this by simply easing off the throttle - if you are on a neutral throttle then there is no drive torque going through the gearbox and you can make the shift. The issue becomes that when you engage the next gear your engine revs and road speed no longer match, so you have to either be brutal or be sympathetic and let the engine revs drop a little to be kind (assuming changing up).

I commonly shift without the clutch, either when I'm in lazy, low speed touring mode, or when in full-on acceleration mode. In lazy mode I'll sometimes down-shift without the clutch too.

Having said that, I tend not to do 1st to 2nd clutchlessly as it's quite a clunk with the Yamaha and you have to go through neutral so can mess it up easily.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Glenben92
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 08 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, it's doable and shouldn't cause damage in most circumstances, but it's not adviseable from 1st to 2nd
____________________
57 Huoniao HN125-8 - Smile, 97 Kawasaki GPZ500S - Very Happy
99 Yamaha FZS 600 - Wink
Mod 2 Passed - 01/10/2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 09 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

have done before.
Up a gear, but never down for me.
Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:00 - 09 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up shifts are ok, and if done correctly wont damage the bike. Down shifts supposedly damage the gearbox so wouldn't do that. Also wouldn't clutchless shift between first and second as you go through neutral so might be clunky.
____________________
Bikes Past: Yamaha Aerox (sold) Yamaha R125 (written off)
Bikes Current: Honda VFR 400 (awaiting restoration) Honda CB600f F-4
Theory passed July 21st Mod1 passed August 3rd Mod 2 passed 26th August
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:03 - 09 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone else has said. Shifting up can be done but down isnt recomended.

But I use a clutch all the time simply for the reason that the bike was supplied one for a reason. Thumbs Up
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gearboxkart
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:31 - 12 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike is supplied with 1 so you can pull away and stop without stalling Wink
very very rarely used the clutch on my bikes over 30 odd year, just put a bit of pressure on the gearchange off the gas and in she goes, you will get to the point where your gearchanges are just a matter of off the gas for a split second and powering upto the next change, practice Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 12 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been known to do both up and down clutchless changes, It is only going from neutral into first that you need to use the clutch Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Blackbaron
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 22 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 17 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with all posts,

I've done it a few times though I will not recommend 1 to 2 as it almost threw me off (I have a V twin engine)

But 3 onwards, is quite smooth, and barely any difference between clutching and none... I haven't noticed any damage nor does it feel different.

Either way I think the clutch lever is there for a reason and I think we should use it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
John karner This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.97 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 65.87 Kb